Question on Devicenet

Started by pmm July 21, 2004
Hello
I am trying to retrive a revision number of a Prism (position
sensor)(CutlerHammer make), and i am using netview  to see the network
on SST master Card (CutlerHammer) .i am sending a  0E(getattribsingle)
05(connection)
00(instance) 01(attributeId)
this gives me an error as Arrrtibute not supported .why this is so
i think i am doing right since revision is a class attribute i should
be able to get that value by using instance Id 0
and revisoin is also a compulsory  attribute
am i wrong please correct me
thanx in advance
PMM
"pmm" <muralipmanohar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello > I am trying to retrive a revision number of a Prism (position > sensor)(CutlerHammer make), and i am using netview to see the network > on SST master Card (CutlerHammer) .i am sending a 0E(getattribsingle) > 05(connection) > 00(instance) 01(attributeId) > this gives me an error as Arrrtibute not supported .why this is so > i think i am doing right since revision is a class attribute i should > be able to get that value by using instance Id 0 > and revisoin is also a compulsory attribute > am i wrong please correct me
If you are trying to get the revision of the Connection Object class that is implemented within this device then what you are sending seems correct. But I'm not sure whether that attribute is required to be implemented for the Connection object. And even if it is required now, it may not have always been so. A class's revision attribute is typically required only when a revision has been made to the class definition (that is, the revision is greater than 1). I don't know what the current revision of the Connection object is off hand but if this device was created when the Connection object was at revision 1 then the device probably doesn't support the class revision attribute. If a class's revision attribute is not implemented then its probably safe to assume that the class is implemented as revision 1. If you are trying to get the revision of the firmware that the device is running then what you are sending is incorrect. -- Kevin
"Kevin Kramb" <kekramb.invalid@ra.rockwell.com.invalid> wrote in message news:<10g0pq3pgg5ht72@corp.supernews.com>...
> "pmm" <muralipmanohar@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:1f1fe31f.0407210225.391eaa09@posting.google.com... > > Hello > > I am trying to retrive a revision number of a Prism (position > > sensor)(CutlerHammer make), and i am using netview to see the network > > on SST master Card (CutlerHammer) .i am sending a 0E(getattribsingle) > > 05(connection) > > 00(instance) 01(attributeId) > > this gives me an error as Arrrtibute not supported .why this is so > > i think i am doing right since revision is a class attribute i should > > be able to get that value by using instance Id 0 > > and revisoin is also a compulsory attribute > > am i wrong please correct me > > If you are trying to get the revision of the Connection Object > class that is implemented within this device then what you are > sending seems correct. But I'm not sure whether that attribute > is required to be implemented for the Connection object. And > even if it is required now, it may not have always been so. > A class's revision attribute is typically required only when a > revision has been made to the class definition (that is, the > revision is greater than 1). I don't know what the current > revision of the Connection object is off hand but if this device > was created when the Connection object was at revision 1 then > the device probably doesn't support the class revision > attribute. If a class's revision attribute is not implemented > then its probably safe to assume that the class is implemented > as revision 1. > > If you are trying to get the revision of the firmware that the > device is running then what you are sending is incorrect. > > -- Kevin
Dear Mr Kevin Thanks for the reply Oh tht may be the mistake what i am trying to do that means the sequence is correct and instance 0 do exist am i right ??and is not optional -PMM
The current Devicenet Release (2.0) says that the Revision attribute
is conditional.  There hasn't been a later release or I would have
heard about it.  If you are wanting to get the Firmware revision the
easiest way would probably be to contact the manufacturer.  The reason
being, if they don't implement the Communication Object Class revision
attribute, then they might not have implemented the Parameter Object
Class.
Good Luck,
Chris
"Chris Hiler" <christopher.hiler@macvalves.com> wrote in message
> The current Devicenet Release (2.0) says that the Revision attribute > is conditional. There hasn't been a later release or I would have > heard about it. If you are wanting to get the Firmware revision the > easiest way would probably be to contact the manufacturer. The reason > being, if they don't implement the Communication Object Class revision > attribute, then they might not have implemented the Parameter Object > Class. > Good Luck, > Chris
The firmware revision can be read from the Identity Object (Class code 1), Instance 1, Attribute number 4 (Revision). -- Kevin

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference