Need help to start with USB

Started by aleksa May 2, 2009
"aleksa" <aleksaZR@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:282ffd5b-e125-48bf-96a7-7b6610400c70@o14g2000vbo.googlegroups.com...
> First of all, thanks everyone for your replies. > > I am currently looking into MAX3421E and hoping that the guy at > http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/programming/lightweight-usb-hostpart-1 > knows what he is doing. > > Don mentioned ghielectronics: > it's promising, cheap, 16$, but goes to 70$ with shipping.. > plus a lot of people (as I read it quickly) has problems with it. > > Richard, thanks for the usb-in-a-nutshell link! As it turns out, > I already had it in my favorites, but who can find it there.. > > As for the card readers... not sure, yet.
The question was more to what your application needs. If your device is copying from one USB stick to a another, the CF or SD solutions of course don't apply. OTOH, if you're looking at data acquisition, for example, SD cards are dead simple (relatively speaking) to integrate.
> > I got a headache just by looking into a list of links I have to visit.
As things go, having a myriad of choices is a nice "problem" to have.
On Sat, 02 May 2009 21:28:27 +0200, Frank-Christian Kr&#4294967295;gel wrote:

> Your AT89C5131 has only got an USB device interface. For USB host you > need something bigger, eg. an ARM9. For writing a complete USB base and > mass storage host from scratch you will need at least half a year, most > probably more.
You don't need to go up quite that far. Some of the PIC24 chips can act as a USB host; Microchip's USB SDK includes a demo program for logging to a USB thumb drive.

In the november 2008 issue of Elektor there was an article about the new Vinculum chip from FTDi. It is a usb host controller. http://www.vinculum.com/products.html S.