Intels chips in early days...Quire interesting...

Started by ssubbarayan May 28, 2009
On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 12:26:41 +0930, Chris Burrows wrote:

> [...]
So do a lot of computers.
> a) What non-numeric information was the DAC-512 able to display to the > operator?
Plenty of "real" computers don't have any ability to display *any* data to the operator. They just receive data from computers and send the results to computers. Many supercomputer applications simply take arrays of numbers as input and return arrays of numbers as output, with interfacing to humans delegated to lesser systems. But I don't recall anyone referring to Crays et al as "calculators".
> b) How would you define the difference between a programmable calculator and > a personal computer?
Personally, I would make the distinction according to whether it can execute unbounded loops. A conventional calculator either lacks loops altogether or only uses bounded loops (i.e. iterating over the digits). This makes them not Turing-complete (e.g. there's no halting problem, as a bounded loop cannot fail to terminate).
"Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 12:26:41 +0930, Chris Burrows wrote: > >> >>>They add software to make it convenient. >> >> Exactly! It is the computer's ability to process that 'convenient >> software' >> and communicate with the user with alphanumeric information that >> differentiates it from a programmable calculator. A calculator accepts >> numeric data, processes it and returns numeric results. > > So do a lot of computers. >
Sure. But that is NOT what they are ONLY capable of doing.
Don't forget arguments are more expensive for a course of ten ;-) http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm -- Chris Burrows CFB Software Armaide v2.0: ARM Oberon-07 Development System http://www.cfbsoftware.com/armaide