Flash data retention after soldering

Started by Jookie June 13, 2009
  Hello all,

I'm using AT45DB041 in my design (SPI Flash, 4Mbit), and I thinking of
preprogramming the flash before soldering it to the rest of device - this
would avoid the in-system programming. But will the Flash retain data after
soldering?

If it would be for couple of pieces, then I wouldn't mind the in-system
programming, but as this will be done for 100's of devices, this might save
some time...

  Regards,
  Jookie
On Jun 13, 1:22=A0pm, "Jookie" <j...@kie.sk> wrote:

> would avoid the in-system programming. But will the Flash retain data aft=
er
> soldering?
Absolutely. I don't know if there are reliability studies, but I can tell you as a certainty that we get flash micros bulk-programmed at distribution and we have no perceptible failure rate from this process (nor a significant number of field returns of units that have lost their programming at some point in the future).
>On Jun 13, 1:22=A0pm, "Jookie" <j...@kie.sk> wrote: > >> would avoid the in-system programming. But will the Flash retain data >> after soldering? > >Absolutely. I don't know if there are reliability studies, but I can >tell you as a certainty that we get flash micros bulk-programmed at >distribution and we have no perceptible failure rate from this process >(nor a significant number of field returns of units that have lost >their programming at some point in the future).
OK, cool :) Thank you for a reply. Jookie
"Jookie" <joo@kie.sk> wrote in message
> >On Jun 13, 1:22=A0pm, "Jookie" <j...@kie.sk> wrote: >> >>> would avoid the in-system programming. But will the Flash retain data >>> after soldering? >> >>Absolutely. I don't know if there are reliability studies, but I can >>tell you as a certainty that we get flash micros bulk-programmed at >>distribution and we have no perceptible failure rate from this process >>(nor a significant number of field returns of units that have lost >>their programming at some point in the future). > > OK, cool :) Thank you for a reply. > Jookie
Provided all anti-static proceedures are carried out during the process. Joe
On Jun 13, 1:30=A0pm, larwe <zwsdot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 13, 1:22=A0pm, "Jookie" <j...@kie.sk> wrote: > > > would avoid the in-system programming. But will the Flash retain data a=
fter
> > soldering? > > Absolutely. I don't know if there are reliability studies, but I can > tell you as a certainty that we get flash micros bulk-programmed at > distribution and we have no perceptible failure rate from this process > (nor a significant number of field returns of units that have lost > their programming at some point in the future).
I think the conclusion is probably right, but realize that flash micros are usually a different technology and perhaps fab process from typical high density external flashes.