LCD connection

Started by Chris sun July 10, 2004
Hi paul:
  Thank you for the input. yesterday I was looking for triple 6 bits A/D,
but turned out nobody has it instock (or nobody would buy it). looks like I
have to do some PCB design, big challenge for me. Too bad the board designer
didn't populate the FP support in cs5530A chip. sigh!

thank you!
chris
"Paul Carpenter" <paul$@pcserv.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sunday, in article <zKKdnRmW5_CUYGzdRVn-hQ@comcast.com> > lei_sun@comcast.net "Chris sun" wrote: > > >"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message > >news:608b6569.0407111712.133a91d7@posting.google.com... > >> > It is a SBC based on national geod GX1 processor with CS5530A
companion
> >the > >> > board didn't provide connector for those pins. > >> > >> Oh boy. I know the chipset very well. Well, first have a look for > >> unpopulated connectors - maybe they did run the lines to pads > >> someplace.. > >I tried check the connectors, but the board is 7 layer PCB, it's hard to
see
> >where it runs to . > >Do you think it's feasible that if i build a A/D converter to convert VGA > >signal into 18 bits digital ? > > If you cannot find the digital outputs or where to add the connector to
get
> the digital outputs, the YES you will need a circuit with a TRIPLE A/D.
Also
> you will need some form of circuit to control the digitisation and clock > locking to digitise the signal. > > I would suggest you think about the evaluation board for the Averlogic > AL300 (digital video to LCD controller) or even just their AL875 (triple
A/D)
> Both are quite cheap and as soon as you move away from VGA resolution, you > can sometimes have problems with sync polarity interfacing. > > Last time I used that panel was four years ago and it is relatively easy > to get going, watch for getting your clock right and enable signal
correct.
> I was doing RGB 50Hz and standards conversion in real time to the LCD, I > doubt you will have the standards conversion issue. > > -- > Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserv.demon.co.uk > <http://www.pcserv.demon.co.uk/> Main Site > <http://www.gnuh8.org.uk/> GNU H8 & mailing list info. > <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate. >
> Do you think it's feasible that if i build a A/D converter to convert VGA > signal into 18 bits digital ?
There's a lot more to it than that. You need to synthesize a dot clock, for one thing. And the analog issues involved are definitely non-trivial. If you're an analog guru and have positively shamanic powers of hand-prototyping high-speed analog circuits, maybe you can consider it. I would suggest it is much easier to spend $120 on eBay on a 14" LCD monitor with analog VGA inputs.
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:22:56 -0400, Chris sun wrote:

> Hi paul: > Thank you for the input. yesterday I was looking for triple 6 bits A/D, > but turned out nobody has it instock (or nobody would buy it). looks like I > have to do some PCB design, big challenge for me. Too bad the board designer > didn't populate the FP support in cs5530A chip. sigh! >
you could look for one of the chips they use in LCD monitors to do the analog VGA to LCD conversion. IIRC they are fairly simple and cheap, but you would probably have to do a PCB design. Of course you could just buy an LCD monitor and rip the board and panel out and mount it how you like if this is just onesy-twosy stuff.