LCD SERIAL - PIC16F84A

Started by zss October 21, 2009
Hi I'm new here. and I am currently doing a project on Toxic Gas Release
Alarm system using PIC.

I'm using PIC16f84a and I have used several I/O pins for LEDs, speakers &
a/d converters. and only I/O 6 pins left for LCD. (R0A,RB3-RB7). I'm using
LCD Serial port with 8 pads(www.cytron.com.my).

any ideas how I can connect the LCD to the PIC without using all the pads?
can i just connect the lcd to the pic with 3 connection? vcc,vdd and serial
data (RB7)? will that work?

---------------------------------------
This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on
http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
The interface for this display can be driven in 4 or 8 bit mode. In 4 bit
mode you only need 6 pins.

zss wrote:
> Hi I'm new here. and I am currently doing a project on Toxic Gas Release > Alarm system using PIC. > > I'm using PIC16f84a and I have used several I/O pins for LEDs, speakers & > a/d converters. and only I/O 6 pins left for LCD. (R0A,RB3-RB7). I'm using > LCD Serial port with 8 pads(www.cytron.com.my).
Which LCD are you talking about here ??
> > any ideas how I can connect the LCD to the PIC without using all the pads? > can i just connect the lcd to the pic with 3 connection? vcc,vdd and serial > data (RB7)? will that work?
Normal LCD controllers do not have a serial port on them. A serial to LCD backpack can be used but thats adding another CPU to the system. A normal LCD panel will work with just 6 pins connected. Four data pins [DB4-DB7] Two control pins R/C & E, with R/W pin pulled low. Google for Hitachi Hd44780 controller specs and code available. don
No, see: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/faqs-micro-or-electronics-specific-questions.html#lcd Cheers Don... -- Don McKenzie Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/email Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html
>The interface for this display can be driven in 4 or 8 bit mode. In 4 bit
>mode you only need 6 pins. > >
So there is no need for me to use a serial lcd then. I can just use the parallel 16x2 lcd eh. thanks guys! I didnt know that :). I'm new to this thing.haha So, the next thing I need to learn is how to code the 4 bit mode lcd using assembly language. Any ideas where I can find any simple examples I can learn from? :) I'm using MPLab IDE btw. very much appreciated. --------------------------------------- This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
http://tinyurl.com/yhvf8b5
> I'm using MPLab IDE btw. > > very much appreciated. > > --------------------------------------- > This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on > http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Memfault Beyond the Launch