Any low cost / free ARM simulators?

Started by Richard F. Man July 8, 2004
As we mentioned previously, we are working on a version of our C
compiler for the ARM chips, initially for the ARM7 microcontrollers
(more devices supported later). Anyway, our assembler / linker and even
the code generator are progressing well, and we are at the stage where
we can use a good simulator or debugger to start debugging our tools.

Currently, we are using evaluation version of Real View tool but it will
soon expire. Unfortunately, the good people at ARM do not think that it
will actually benefit them in the long run to give us a free or reduce
cost version of the RVCT to speed up our development (they offer to give
us 10% discount on 6+ copies, at over $6K each ), so we are looking for
alternatives. We can use Linux or Windows tools, and of course once we
bootstrap ourselves, including our own instruction set simulator, then
we won't need these any more.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
// richard
http://www.imagecraft.com
Richard, we have a few of them listed in our projects section at http://gnuarm.org/resources.html. Warmest regards. -- /"However, what if it does matter, and we are PabloBleyerKocik / missing something fundamental that could pbleyer2004 / change the way we see the world?" @embedded.cl / -- One Little Wrong Assumption, Darren Ashby
In article <10eq2rsioo8gk08@corp.supernews.com>, Richard F. Man
<richard@imagecraft.com> writes
>As we mentioned previously, we are working on a version of our C >compiler for the ARM chips, initially for the ARM7 microcontrollers >(more devices supported later). Anyway, our assembler / linker and even >the code generator are progressing well, and we are at the stage where >we can use a good simulator or debugger to start debugging our tools. > >Currently, we are using evaluation version of Real View tool but it will >soon expire. Unfortunately, the good people at ARM do not think that it >will actually benefit them in the long run to give us a free or reduce >cost version of the RVCT to speed up our development (they offer to give >us 10% discount on 6+ copies, at over $6K each ), so we are looking for >alternatives. We can use Linux or Windows tools, and of course once we >bootstrap ourselves, including our own instruction set simulator, then >we won't need these any more. > >Thanks for any suggestions. >
Use the Keil simulator.... while you are at it use their compiler too.... Keil did their simulator before doing the compiler so they did not get in to the fix you are in. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Have you tried the ARM simulator that comes with the GNU compiler/debugger toolchain, or other free software efforts like our http://sources.redhat.com/sid? - FChE
Chris Hills wrote:

>Use the Keil simulator.... while you are at it use their compiler >too.... > >Keil did their simulator before doing the compiler so they did not get >in to the fix you are in. > >
Yes, I understand that currently Keil is repackaged GNU (with their excellent GUI) but they are "working on their own compiler." We just decide to do things differently. We are of course writing our own instruction set simulator for eventual testing purpose. Thanks for the suggestions. -- // richard http://www.imagecraft.com

Thanks, I will look into this. -- // richard http://www.imagecraft.com
Richard F. Man wrote:

> As we mentioned previously, we are working on a version of our C > compiler for the ARM chips, initially for the ARM7 microcontrollers > (more devices supported later). Anyway, our assembler / linker and even > the code generator are progressing well, and we are at the stage where > we can use a good simulator or debugger to start debugging our tools. > > Currently, we are using evaluation version of Real View tool but it will > soon expire. Unfortunately, the good people at ARM do not think that it > will actually benefit them in the long run to give us a free or reduce > cost version of the RVCT to speed up our development (they offer to give > us 10% discount on 6+ copies, at over $6K each ), so we are looking for > alternatives. We can use Linux or Windows tools, and of course once we > bootstrap ourselves, including our own instruction set simulator, then > we won't need these any more. > > Thanks for any suggestions.
Besides the other suggestions, GameBoyAdvance emulators are probably mature enough now to be worth a look. As well as giving you simulation, this pathway could be commercially usefull for your product. If you can offer a GBA Compiler/ GBA_Sim integration, there are cases where a GBA would make a nice processor/display hardware combination. -jg
In article <10er7eg1akrpe2@corp.supernews.com>, Richard F. Man
<richard@imagecraft.com> writes
>Chris Hills wrote: > >>Use the Keil simulator.... while you are at it use their compiler >>too.... >> >>Keil did their simulator before doing the compiler so they did not get >>in to the fix you are in. >> >> >Yes, I understand that currently Keil is repackaged GNU (with their >excellent GUI) but they are "working on their own compiler."
It is now available according to their web site... "This release includes an unlimited beta release of the Keil CA ARM C Compiler. The Keil toolset is optimized for the Thumb mode but also supports the ARM native instruction set. The compiler includes a very efficient 32-bit floating-point library and run-time routines for embedded applications. 64-bit double float and 64-bit long-long support will be included in the next beta release." /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Jim Granville wrote:

> Besides the other suggestions, GameBoyAdvance emulators are probably > mature enough now to be worth a look. > As well as giving you simulation, this pathway could be commercially > usefull for your product. > If you can offer a GBA Compiler/ GBA_Sim integration, there are cases > where a GBA would make a nice processor/display hardware combination. > -jg >
As a matter, I was thinking the same thing. If we put out a kickass GBA development system, it could be a really nifty marketing moves... -- // richard http://www.imagecraft.com

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference