Audio with AT91SAM7

Started by valdiorn November 27, 2009
I've been looking for a capable chip to do audio processing. I'm a hobbyist
but I'm looking for something I could develop on and then take to (very)
small scale production, it would serve as the FX processor in an audio amp.

Mainly the dsPIC33 FJ128GP802 got my attention because it has a 16bit audio
DAC on board. I would however like more RAM and even more processing power
so I was looking at the AT91SAM7S256 board from Olimex, since it has more
RAM, runs faster, has 32bit architecture (makes coding easier)... but lacks
decent AD/DA (10 bit AD is a bit limited for audio).

What would be the best way to get audio in and out of this chip?? Are there
any codecs/converters you'd recommend that have SPI or I2C connectivity
(the chip does not support I2S)

Are there other chips I should be looking at? Remember, I want to stay away
from SMT and prefer DIP, I'm hoping you know of someone who makes a header
board (similar to the Olimex) with a good chip, needs at least 32kb RAM,
and >40MIPS with A/D and D/A suited for audio, if I'm going to choose it
over the dsPIC.

The dsPIC
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en532298

The ARM header board
http://www.olimex.com/dev/sam7-h256.html

---------------------------------------
This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on
http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Circuit Cellar Ink has run a project built around a dsPIC33, using a T.I. PCM3060 for analog<->digital conversion. Details are under http://www.circuitcellar.com/microchip2007winners/DE/MT1518.html and ftp://ftp.circuitcellar.com/pub/Circuit_Cellar/2008/220/ . Mel.
Op Fri, 27 Nov 2009 14:49:00 +0100 schreef valdiorn <valdiorn@hotmail.com>:

> [...] but lacks decent AD/DA (10 bit AD is a bit limited for audio).
Depends on your sample rate. Remember DSD?
SPI is nearly perfect for DSD. All you need is a clock generator for the input. -- Gemaakt met Opera's revolutionaire e-mailprogramma: http://www.opera.com/mail/ (remove the obvious prefix to reply by mail)
"valdiorn" <valdiorn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been looking for a capable chip to do audio processing. I'm a > hobbyist > but I'm looking for something I could develop on and then take to (very) > small scale production, it would serve as the FX processor in an audio > amp. > > > Mainly the dsPIC33 FJ128GP802 got my attention because it has a 16bit > audio > DAC on board. I would however like more RAM and even more processing power > so I was looking at the AT91SAM7S256 board from Olimex, since it has more > RAM, runs faster, has 32bit architecture (makes coding easier)... but > lacks > decent AD/DA (10 bit AD is a bit limited for audio). > > What would be the best way to get audio in and out of this chip?? Are > there > any codecs/converters you'd recommend that have SPI or I2C connectivity > (the chip does not support I2S) > > Are there other chips I should be looking at? Remember, I want to stay > away > from SMT and prefer DIP, I'm hoping you know of someone who makes a header > board (similar to the Olimex) with a good chip, needs at least 32kb RAM, > and >40MIPS with A/D and D/A suited for audio, if I'm going to choose it > over the dsPIC. > > > The dsPIC > http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en532298 > > The ARM header board > http://www.olimex.com/dev/sam7-h256.html > > > > --------------------------------------- > This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface on > http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
Look at STM32 Arm Cortex - latest parts have I2S for proper audio interface. ST offer free DSP and audio processing software to get started. All these chips are SM - just bite the bullet (insisting on DIP will hold you back). There are some cheap dev kits around. www.st.com Michael Kellett