Recommendation: Low power microcontroller for battery powered logger

Started by geomet March 29, 2010
On 3/30/2010 7:19 AM, Mark Borgerson wrote:
> In article<hosshf$bnm$1@news.eternal-september.org>, > hamilton@nothere.com says... >> On 3/29/2010 10:28 PM, geomet wrote: >>> On Mar 30, 1:28 pm, Mark Borgerson<mborger...@comcast.net> wrote: >>>> In article<d5fc55c3-9ce7-4a38-afa2- >>>> 7300a9952...@l18g2000prm.googlegroups.com>, ross.g.march...@gmail.com >>>> says... >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>> Hi All, >>>> >>>>> I'm after a recommendation for a microcontroller with the following >>>>> features: >>>> >>>>> Needed: >>>>> - 3.3V >>>>> - in circuit programming >>>>> - I2C I/O >>>>> - low power sleep mode >>>> >>>>> Wanted: >>>>> - cheap / free compiler >>>>> - on board RAM / EEPROM / Flash memory for logging (64K min) >>>> >>>>> What I'm trying to do: >>>>> Log measurements from a sensor IC that communicates via I2C. >>>> >>>> Been there, done that. Used an MSP430 and SD card for the >>>> logging. >>>> >>>> If you want to log to the onboard flash memory, you'll be >>>> more limited with the MSP430 series. >>>> >>>> I use the Imagecraft compiler. About $250. Good technical >>>> support and prompt response to problems. Another $100 gets >>>> you the NoIce debugger. Very handy and well supported. >>>> Unless you alread have a JTAG system, plan on another >>>> $100 for a USB-JTAG interface for programming and debugging. >>>> >>>> I don't know if a total cost of ~$350 counts as cheap for you--- >>>> but I made that back on my first project and put money in >>>> the bank! >>>> >>>> Mark Borgerson >>> >>> yep $350 is definitely cheap enough... last commercial compiler i used >>> was> $1000 ... >> AVR processors have low power modes and there is a free compiler available. >> >> A In System Programmer can be built your self or a cheap one can be >> purchased from Digikey. >> >> WINAVR compiler FREE >> AVR Studio IDE FREE >> AVR ISP mk II $35 >> > Does that include a debugger with the ability to set breakpoints, > single-step, examine variables and registers, etc. ? I plead > woeful ignorance as to the components and functionality of > the AVR Studio. > > > Mark Borgerson > >
Yes, the AVR Studio has full debugging and simulation. For the full debugger, you would need to get the AVR Dragon emulator ( Digikey $51) The compiler and AVR Studio can be downloaded for free and can be installed, compiling and simulating with in an hour. Best deal I have found for micro development. To give credit to Microchip, MPLAB is also free and comes with a free compiler. However, the PIC18 family compiler is a limited code space version (student). And the PICKIT3 ISP is a little more expensive ( Digikey $70) I use both AVR and PIC18 processors in my products. hamilton
On 2010-03-30, Mark Borgerson <mborgerson@comcast.net> wrote:

> If you want to log to the onboard flash memory, you'll be more > limited with the MSP430 series. > > I use the Imagecraft compiler. About $250. Good technical support > and prompt response to problems. Another $100 gets you the NoIce > debugger. Very handy and well supported. Unless you alread have a > JTAG system, plan on another $100 for a USB-JTAG interface for > programming and debugging. > > I don't know if a total cost of ~$350 counts as cheap for you--- but > I made that back on my first project and put money in the bank!
If you're really strapped for cash, you can use mspgcc ($0) and a parallel-port JTAG adapter ($16). Total cost: $16. Third-party USB-JTAG adapters for the MSP430 can be had for around $75. -- Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! My mind is making at ashtrays in Dayton ... gmail.com
geomet skrev:
> Hi All, > > I'm after a recommendation for a microcontroller with the following > features: > > Needed: > - 3.3V > - in circuit programming > - I2C I/O > - low power sleep mode > > Wanted: > - cheap / free compiler > - on board RAM / EEPROM / Flash memory for logging (64K min) > > What I'm trying to do: > Log measurements from a sensor IC that communicates via I2C. > > Cheers > Ross
While you can store I2C info in most AVRs, it is probably going to be cheaper to have an external EEPROM. The ATmega48PA will do what you want at very low power in sleep as well as in operation. If you insist on internal memory, then you can use the self write capability of the AVR and write to the flash. The ATmega644P could then be a good choice. 44 pin package. Most AVR's are supported by a free gcc compiler (WinAVR) The AVR Dragon will provide ISP as well as debugging for up to 32 kB of code at very low cost. Otherwise the STK500 is a nice low cost board. BR Ulf Samuelsson
On Mar 31, 7:40=A0am, Ulf Samuelsson <nospam....@atmel.com> wrote:
> geomet skrev: > > > > > > > Hi All, > > > I'm after a recommendation for a microcontroller with the following > > features: > > > Needed: > > - 3.3V > > - in circuit programming > > - I2C I/O > > - low power sleep mode > > > Wanted: > > - cheap / free compiler > > - on board RAM / EEPROM / Flash memory for logging (64K min) > > > What I'm trying to do: > > Log measurements from a sensor IC that communicates via I2C. > > > Cheers > > Ross > > While you can store I2C info in most AVRs, it is probably going to > be cheaper to have an external EEPROM. > > The ATmega48PA will do what you want at very low power > in sleep as well as in operation. > If you insist on internal memory, then you can use the > self write capability of the AVR and write to the flash. > The ATmega644P could then be a good choice. 44 pin package. > > Most AVR's are supported by a free gcc compiler (WinAVR) > > The AVR Dragon will provide ISP as well as debugging for > up to 32 kB of code at very low cost. > Otherwise the STK500 is =A0a nice low cost board. > > BR > Ulf Samuelsson
I think I will use external memory now. AVR Dragon is nice, maybe a little big for final design but could be good for prototypes... So AVR Studio has some debugging via JTAG for any board with JTAG not just AVR Dragon? ... Would be nice if there was a wiki out there with reference designs for all types of applications :)
On 3/30/2010 4:24 PM, geomet wrote:
> On Mar 31, 7:40 am, Ulf Samuelsson<nospam....@atmel.com> wrote: >> geomet skrev: >> >> >> >> >> >>> Hi All, >> >>> I'm after a recommendation for a microcontroller with the following >>> features: >> >>> Needed: >>> - 3.3V >>> - in circuit programming >>> - I2C I/O >>> - low power sleep mode >> >>> Wanted: >>> - cheap / free compiler >>> - on board RAM / EEPROM / Flash memory for logging (64K min) >> >>> What I'm trying to do: >>> Log measurements from a sensor IC that communicates via I2C. >> >>> Cheers >>> Ross >> >> While you can store I2C info in most AVRs, it is probably going to >> be cheaper to have an external EEPROM. >> >> The ATmega48PA will do what you want at very low power >> in sleep as well as in operation. >> If you insist on internal memory, then you can use the >> self write capability of the AVR and write to the flash. >> The ATmega644P could then be a good choice. 44 pin package. >> >> Most AVR's are supported by a free gcc compiler (WinAVR) >> >> The AVR Dragon will provide ISP as well as debugging for >> up to 32 kB of code at very low cost. >> Otherwise the STK500 is a nice low cost board. >> >> BR >> Ulf Samuelsson > > I think I will use external memory now. AVR Dragon is nice, maybe a > little big for final design but could be good for prototypes... So > AVR Studio has some debugging via JTAG for any board with JTAG not > just AVR Dragon? > > ... Would be nice if there was a wiki out there with reference designs > for all types of applications :)
The dragon board can be used as a prototyping platform, or as a jtag/ISP device. Your questions are beginning to sound like a student that want someone else to do his home work. There are lots of free software tools and cheap development tools. You just need to start somewhere and start coding. When you have chosen a cpu and purchased an ISP/emulator, start a desing or buy a prototype board. You'll be up and running you own code in a weekend. Like Nike says "just do it" you'll be happy you did. hamilton
Ross,
you could prototype this using the Arduino environment, using open-source
s/w.

Later, you could implement using a standalone AVR mcu if desired.

On Mar 31, 2:56=A0pm, hamilton <hamil...@nothere.com> wrote:
> On 3/30/2010 4:24 PM, geomet wrote: > > > > > > > On Mar 31, 7:40 am, Ulf Samuelsson<nospam....@atmel.com> =A0wrote: > >> geomet skrev: > > >>> Hi All, > > >>> I'm after a recommendation for a microcontroller with the following > >>> features: > > >>> Needed: > >>> - 3.3V > >>> - in circuit programming > >>> - I2C I/O > >>> - low power sleep mode > > >>> Wanted: > >>> - cheap / free compiler > >>> - on board RAM / EEPROM / Flash memory for logging (64K min) > > >>> What I'm trying to do: > >>> Log measurements from a sensor IC that communicates via I2C. > > >>> Cheers > >>> Ross > > >> While you can store I2C info in most AVRs, it is probably going to > >> be cheaper to have an external EEPROM. > > >> The ATmega48PA will do what you want at very low power > >> in sleep as well as in operation. > >> If you insist on internal memory, then you can use the > >> self write capability of the AVR and write to the flash. > >> The ATmega644P could then be a good choice. 44 pin package. > > >> Most AVR's are supported by a free gcc compiler (WinAVR) > > >> The AVR Dragon will provide ISP as well as debugging for > >> up to 32 kB of code at very low cost. > >> Otherwise the STK500 is =A0a nice low cost board. > > >> BR > >> Ulf Samuelsson > > > I think I will use external memory now. =A0AVR Dragon is nice, maybe a > > little big for final design but could be good for prototypes... =A0So > > AVR Studio has some debugging via JTAG for any board with JTAG not > > just AVR Dragon? > > > ... Would be nice if there was a wiki out there with reference designs > > for all types of applications :) > > The dragon board can be used as a prototyping platform, or as a jtag/ISP > device. > > Your questions are beginning to sound like a student that want someone > else to do his home work. > > There are lots of free software tools and cheap development tools. > > You just need to start somewhere and start coding. > > When you have chosen a cpu and purchased an ISP/emulator, start a desing > or buy a prototype board. > > You'll be up and running you own code in a weekend. > > Like Nike says "just do it" you'll be happy you did. > > hamilton
Not a student, just trying to get an idea on the hardware choices as I haven't done this for a few years. I appreciate the replies though. My previous experience (5 yrs) was with bigger designs - 8051 with external flash, ram, etc, multiple MCUs, could go on... Anyway, will post back when I have got something. Thanks to all.