Maxim Security ICs - Alternatives?

Started by Al Clark May 18, 2010
We have an application where we would like to use a low cost security IC to
protect IP. The Maxim DS2432 or DS28E01-100 are possible candidates. A very
small SPI device would also be OK.

As usual, Maxim doesn't really want to sell these. They quote a lead time of
26 weeks. Avnet quotes 100 weeks!, Can you get anything but samples from
Maxim?

Does anyone have a suggestion? We don't require extreme measures. We are
mostly trying to keep the honest, honest. The products are for small and
medium product runs not set top boxes.

Thanks

Al

Hi Al,

Al Clark wrote:
> We have an application where we would like to use a low cost security IC to > protect IP. The Maxim DS2432 or DS28E01-100 are possible candidates. A very > small SPI device would also be OK. > > As usual, Maxim doesn't really want to sell these. They quote a lead time of > 26 weeks. Avnet quotes 100 weeks!, Can you get anything but samples from > Maxim? > > Does anyone have a suggestion? We don't require extreme measures. We are > mostly trying to keep the honest, honest. The products are for small and > medium product runs not set top boxes.
What is the complexity of your *device*? Are you concerned with blatant counterfeiting? Class I attacks or Class II? How hard would it be for someone to copy your *idea* (leaving your device intact)? How much are you willing to burden your development and recurring costs (which will ultimately make your product LESS attractive to customers as those costs are passed along)? The type of defense you use will vary depending on the type of attack you expect.

Al Clark wrote:
> We have an application where we would like to use a low cost security IC to > protect IP. The Maxim DS2432 or DS28E01-100 are possible candidates. A very > small SPI device would also be OK.
Many serial and parallel NOR flash memories provide for the unique serial number and the OTP security register. The idea is to compute the result of a secret_function(serial_number, security_register) in your software. Good thing about it is that you don't have to make any modifications for the firmware for every unit to make it unique. Of course, this won't stop the determined hacker; however this is good enough to prevent the dumb 1:1 copying. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
On Tue, 18 May 2010 21:49:42 GMT, Al Clark <aclark@danvillesignal.com> wrote:

>We have an application where we would like to use a low cost security IC to >protect IP. The Maxim DS2432 or DS28E01-100 are possible candidates. A very >small SPI device would also be OK. > >As usual, Maxim doesn't really want to sell these. They quote a lead time of >26 weeks. Avnet quotes 100 weeks!, Can you get anything but samples from >Maxim? > >Does anyone have a suggestion? We don't require extreme measures. We are >mostly trying to keep the honest, honest. The products are for small and >medium product runs not set top boxes. > >Thanks > >Al >
A small microcontroller ( e.g. PIC10F, ATTiny) would probably do the job reasonably well. If you're looking for serial-number type functionality, some of the SPI serial flash chips have this.
I haven't any detailed knowledge of it, but look up "Keeloq" on the Microchip website. They seem to have micros with the technology embedded as well as stand alone encoders and decoders. -Aubrey --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
"antedeluvian" <akagan@n_o_s_p_a_m.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >We have an application where we would like to use a low cost security IC > to >>protect IP. The Maxim DS2432 or DS28E01-100 are possible candidates. A > very >>small SPI device would also be OK. >> >>As usual, Maxim doesn't really want to sell these. They quote a lead time > of >>26 weeks. Avnet quotes 100 weeks!, Can you get anything but samples from >>Maxim? >> >>Does anyone have a suggestion? We don't require extreme measures. We are >>mostly trying to keep the honest, honest. The products are for small and >>medium product runs not set top boxes. >> >>Thanks >> >>Al >> >> >> >> > > I haven't any detailed knowledge of it, but look up "Keeloq" on the > Microchip website. They seem to have micros with the technology embedded > as > well as stand alone encoders and decoders. >
Keeloq isapparently 'cracked'.... Atmel do security processors as used in smart cards... but you have to be a large corp, take volume and sign NDA.
In comp.arch.embedded,
TTman <someone.pc@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > Atmel do security processors as used in smart cards... but you have to be a > large corp, take volume and sign NDA.
The AT88SC0104CA seems to be available from digikey. Not a processor but a "crypto memory". -- Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail) He who renders warfare fatal to all engaged in it will be the greatest benefactor the world has yet known. -- Sir Richard Burton
I just came across a design idea entitled "Algorithm keeps data safe" in the January 21, 2010 edition of EDN. It seems to address your concerns. -Aubrey --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com