Any ideas for an embedded renewable/energy project?

Started by Alex August 18, 2010
In comp.arch.embedded,
Warren <ve3wwg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Stef expounded in news:b1298$4c73dd0d$54f63171$5945@abuse.newsxs.nl: > >> In comp.arch.embedded, >> Warren <ve3wwg@gmail.com> wrote: >>> Alex expounded in news:4d220f9d-0536-46e5-8265-e2e28b2fba50 >>> @v41g2000yqv.googlegroups.com: >>> >>>> Does anyone have any ideas for an embedded renewable/energy related >>>> project? I want to do something at home so I can put it on my resume >>>> and try to enter this field, after a LONG hiatus. Type away with >>>> what you got. I thought it would be good for me to include these >>>> aspects: - wireless communications >>>> - data gets sent to a website >>>> - SMS messaging >>>> Yea, stuff like that. If you've had any ideas relating to renewable- >>>> energy related embedded projects, please share them. Thankyou! >>> >>> One idea I've had, would be to use a MCU to control the >>> input to an automotive alternator, used in a wind generator. >>> When the wind dies down below a threshold, you want to cut the >>> rotor input power, since you're not going to get anything back. >>> When it picks up, apply some input power to help it "generate". >>> >>> Beyond the threshold test, the MCU could adjust input power levels to >>> the rotor to maximize the output generation. If the wind is weak, >>> then you need to supply less of a field. But to get more out of a >>> strong wind, you could add more rotor input power. >>> >> To avoid this hassle, wind turbines often use permanent magnet rotors. >> :-) It's also more power efficient (no exictation) and less wear (no >> brushes) Car alternators can be modified to permanent magnet. > > The MCU makes it a non-hassle ;-) The downside is the > brushes naturally, but the upside is that you can > vary power output with the strength of the wind. IIRC, > you can get up to 60 Amps from a little alternator, perhaps > more with some models, though probably not continously. > > The trick is to monitor the rpm and not to exceed > maximum continous ratings. If you increase the field, > does output continue to increase (while maintaining rpm), > or does it tend towards stalling? If it tends to stall, > you back off the field and acheive a compromise for > maximum generated power. > > Putting a permanent magnet in, just destroys all the fun!
No, no, it just starts the fun! (law of preservation of hassle :-) Using a permanent magnet means you have no control over the alternator output. So now you should add a controller that regulates the power take off to maintain optimum power point and does not destroy your battery! Oh, and don't forget to add a braking mechanism, otherwise your turbine will spin out of control on strong winds and light loads (battery full for example). -- Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail) My pants just went to high school in the Carlsbad Caverns!!!
Stef expounded in news:5e09b$4c767894$54f63171$3844@abuse.newsxs.nl:

> In comp.arch.embedded, > Warren <ve3wwg@gmail.com> wrote: >> D Yuniskis expounded in news:i53bvq$sbs$1@speranza.aioe.org: >> >>> Warren wrote: >>>> Alex expounded in news:4d220f9d-0536-46e5-8265-e2e28b2fba50 >>>> @v41g2000yqv.googlegroups.com: >>>> >>>>> Does anyone have any ideas for an embedded renewable/energy related >>>>> project? .. >>>> >>>> One idea I've had, would be to use a MCU to control the >>>> input to an automotive alternator, used in a wind generator. >>>> When the wind dies down below a threshold, you want to cut the >>>> rotor input power, since you're not going to get anything back. >>>> When it picks up, apply some input power to help it "generate". >>> >>> I wonder if you could watch the field in the windings to >>> detect RPM (without having to add a tacho). >> >> Even though the alternator rectifies the current, it is >> not pure DC. So the charging current will look like a >> series of bumps. Feed that into a opamp circuit and >> shape that into something a MCU can count. >> >> This is the "whine" component of the alternator. At >> least this is how I would attack it, as it requires >> no addional parts for monitoring (rpm). > > Most alternators hav a 'W' contact. This is connected to the AC > side of the rectifier, giving you a higer amplitude rpm signal.
"W" for "whine". ;-) Warren