Forums

ARM SBC in arduino form factor?

Started by Roberto Waltman February 3, 2011
For a couple of one of a kind projects, I would like to use an ARM
controller in a board that could accept (at least some of the) Arduino
shields.
So far I found the Xduino (status dubious)
and the Cortino ( http://www.bugblat.com/products/cor.html )
Can anybody point to others?

Thanks,

--
Roberto Waltman
Roberto Waltman wrote:

> For a couple of one of a kind projects, I would like to use an ARM > controller in a board that could accept (at least some of the) Arduino > shields. > So far I found the Xduino (status dubious) > and the Cortino ( http://www.bugblat.com/products/cor.html ) > Can anybody point to others?
Googling "arduino arm" turned up a few things, this included: <http://leaflabs.com/> Mel.
On 2/3/2011 1:36 PM, Mel wrote:
> Roberto Waltman wrote: > >> For a couple of one of a kind projects, I would like to use an ARM >> controller in a board that could accept (at least some of the) Arduino >> shields. >> So far I found the Xduino (status dubious) >> and the Cortino ( http://www.bugblat.com/products/cor.html ) >> Can anybody point to others? > > Googling "arduino arm" turned up a few things, this included: > > <http://leaflabs.com/> > > Mel. >
http://www.coridiumcorp.com/Products.php
hamilton <hamilton@nothere.com> wrote:
> Mel wrote: >> Googling "arduino arm" turned up a few things, this included: >> >> <http://leaflabs.com/> >> Mel. >http://www.coridiumcorp.com/Products.php
Thank you - I did use google, but I added shields, peripherals etc. to filter out too many unrelated hits (like "arduino robot arm") and I missed these two. The leaflabs boards look interesting. -- Roberto Waltman
Roberto Waltman wrote:

> hamilton <hamilton@nothere.com> wrote: >> Mel wrote: >>> Googling "arduino arm" turned up a few things, this included: >>> >>> <http://leaflabs.com/> >>> Mel. >>http://www.coridiumcorp.com/Products.php > > Thank you - I did use google, but I added shields, peripherals etc. to > filter out too many unrelated hits (like "arduino robot arm") and I > missed these two. > The leaflabs boards look interesting.
You asked an interesting question, even though it hadn't occurred to me; I like the leaflab boards too; I'll remember them. I'm a bit down on Arduino for a reason that I mentioned here before -- at least one shield board I find "over-packaged" and inflexible. The Ardumoto board here is working fine: lots of fun walking a stepper motor into resonance failure, and contemplating what a stepper sequencer has to do, but it won't scale beyond one shield per system without some major carving. Sometimes a shield is exactly what I want, and instantly available, and that's great; but given that I will get pushed into board building eventually, I'm just as apt to use STAMP-format boards for proof-of-concept; they're frequently cheaper. Mel.
mbed (http://mbed.org/) seems to be a good match for you. mbed is based on
the LPC1768 MCU from NXP and is actually smaller than Arduino UNO. The
biggest innovation of mbed is the Cloud-based development environment. The
entire system&mdash;editor, compiler, libraries, and reference materials&mdash;are
completely web-based. There is no software to install or maintain on the
host system. 	   
					
---------------------------------------		
Posted through http://www.EmbeddedRelated.com
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 08:55:40 -0600, "QL"
<miro@n_o_s_p_a_m.quantum-leaps.com> wrote:

>mbed (http://mbed.org/) seems to be a good match for you. mbed is based on >the LPC1768 MCU from NXP and is actually smaller than Arduino UNO. The >biggest innovation of mbed is the Cloud-based development environment. The >entire system&mdash;editor, compiler, libraries, and reference materials&mdash;are >completely web-based. There is no software to install or maintain on the >host system.
Station wagon --> Crossover Big iron --> cloud-based It's all in how it's marketed. ;-) -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
> mbed (http://mbed.org/) seems to be a good match for you. mbed is based > on the LPC1768 MCU from NXP and is actually smaller than Arduino UNO. > The biggest innovation of mbed is the Cloud-based development > environment. The entire system&mdash;editor, compiler, libraries, and > reference materials&mdash;are completely web-based. There is no software to > install or maintain on the host system.
Seems like a very bad idea. What if you need to make some changes a few years later, and the (original) environment is no longer available ? I'd rather go through the extra effort of installing the tools locally.
On Feb 19, 4:20=A0pm, Arlet Ottens <usene...@c-scape.nl> wrote:
> > mbed (http://mbed.org/) seems to be a good match for you. mbed is based > > on the LPC1768 MCU from NXP and is actually smaller than Arduino UNO. > > The biggest innovation of mbed is the Cloud-based development > > environment. The entire system=97editor, compiler, libraries, and > > reference materials=97are completely web-based. There is no software to > > install or maintain on the host system. > > Seems like a very bad idea. What if you need to make some changes a few > years later, and the (original) environment is no longer available ? > > I'd rather go through the extra effort of installing the tools locally.
There are other tools that work with the mbed, using the same code. Leon
On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 14:45:56 -0500, Roberto Waltman <usenet@rwaltman.com> wrote:

>For a couple of one of a kind projects, I would like to use an ARM >controller in a board that could accept (at least some of the) Arduino >shields. >So far I found the Xduino (status dubious) >and the Cortino ( http://www.bugblat.com/products/cor.html ) >Can anybody point to others? > >Thanks,
http://www.netduino.com/