Memory analisys library

Started by Piotr March 29, 2011
Hello,

I'm loooking for any statically linked memory analisys libraries, which
is able to track executions of the malloc family functions. It is very
important that library should be independent of the operating system.

Valgrind will be perfect, but unfortunately it is strongly connected
with used OS.

I will be thankful for any hints,

--
Piotr Piwko
http://embedded-engineering.pl/
>Chris H wrote: > >> There is the option of course of the Keil evaluation compiler. The >> biggest problem with the 8051 is the very small amount of RAM. You >> usually run out of this first rather than program memory. The Keil uses >> a rigorous calling tree analysis to do data overlaying. Something you >> should not do manually! I have seen 120 bytes of data shrink to 19 bytes >> in the Keil compiler. >> > >That's something we can agree on :-). I worked on a project where the >client was immovably opposed to hw platform change and insisted on using >a legacy platform that resulted in over 6 banks of code and data. The way >the bl51 linker overlayed everything seemed almost like magic. We did have >the benefit of generous external xdata ram space, which no doubt >helped. It's a very good toolchain indeed, if you need that sort of >capability...
It is too expensive for hobby users however the eval version is FREE and the point is the restriction on the executable size is not the restriction you may think. There are lots of programs that will build in the restricted version of the Keil compiler that simply won't build at all in the SDCC -- \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
"Piotr" <piotr.piwko@embedded-engineering.pl> wrote in message
> I'm loooking for any statically linked memory analisys libraries, which > is able to track executions of the malloc family functions. It is very > important that library should be independent of the operating system. > > Valgrind will be perfect, but unfortunately it is strongly connected > with used OS.
Not sure exactly what you are looking for. Our Memory Safety analyzer in fact tracks *every* allocation made for the purposes of checking valid accesses. It is presently C specific, and the instrumentation tool runs on Windows, but the instrumented program can run in any environment that has space for the application and the cadditional collected metadata (which can be significant if the program builds complex structures of any size). See http://www.semanticdesigns.com/Products/MemorySafety What do you intend to do with the tracked data? -- Ira Baxter, CTO www.semanticdesigns.com