Ethernet transformwer with 4kV isolation

Started by Joe G (Home) March 28, 2011
is there such a beast?

My ethernet circuit floats at ~ 240AC mains and I'd like to use the Ethernet
transformer for Isolation.

Most I have seen is 1kV

Or should I look else where to put my Isolation barrier.

Regs
Joe

On Mar 28, 1:00=A0am, "Joe G \(Home\)" <jo...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> is there such a beast? > > My ethernet circuit floats at ~ 240AC mains and I'd like to use the Ether=
net
> transformer for Isolation. > > Most I have seen is 1kV > > Or should I look else where to put my Isolation barrier.
This just screams "fiber."
<robertwessel2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Mar 28, 1:00 am, "Joe G \(Home\)" <jo...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> is there such a beast? > > My ethernet circuit floats at ~ 240AC mains and I'd like to use the > Ethernet > transformer for Isolation. > > Most I have seen is 1kV > > Or should I look else where to put my Isolation barrier.
This just screams "fiber." ==> Joe ==> Can you suggest low cost fiber solution? What key word should I be search in Google for? Regards joe
On Mar 28, 2:31=A0am, "Joe G \(Home\)" <jo...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> <robertwess...@yahoo.com> wrote in message > > news:de55cea7-2a28-4279-a54b-b34f0e0c8b4c@d16g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... > On Mar 28, 1:00 am, "Joe G \(Home\)" <jo...@optusnet.com.au> wrote: > > > is there such a beast? > > > My ethernet circuit floats at ~ 240AC mains and I'd like to use the > > Ethernet > > transformer for Isolation. > > > Most I have seen is 1kV > > > Or should I look else where to put my Isolation barrier. > > This just screams "fiber." > > =3D=3D> Joe =3D=3D> =A0Can you suggest low cost fiber solution? > > What key word should I be search in Google for?
"ethernet optical transciever" If you can live with fast Ethernet, something like an Avago AFBR-5803AQZ is about $30 in small quantities. Or Gb Ethernet with something like an AFBR-53D5Z is about $50. I think you can probably find fast Ethernet parts down to about $20 (but don't put too much stock in that - in either direction). If you have just one or two problematic installations, an external copper-to-fiber converter ($100-$200 each for GigE) or two is a simple way to deal with the problem.
Joe G (Home) wrote:
> is there such a beast? > > My ethernet circuit floats at ~ 240AC mains and I'd like to use the Ethernet > transformer for Isolation.
Are you saying that you have one ethernet phy at earth potential, a second at ~240VAC and the cable floats? Can you use a gas tube surge suppressor on the cable pairs to earth ground?
> Most I have seen is 1kV > > Or should I look else where to put my Isolation barrier. > > Regs > Joe > >
>> My ethernet circuit floats at ~ 240AC mains and I'd like to use the >> Ethernet transformer for Isolation.
> Are you saying that you have one ethernet phy at earth potential, a > second at ~240VAC and the cable floats? Can you use a gas tube surge > suppressor on the cable pairs to earth
Surely you've heard of Ethernet over Power? -- mac the na&iuml;f
On 2011-03-28, mac <alex.colvin@valley.net> wrote:
>>> My ethernet circuit floats at ~ 240AC mains and I'd like to use the >>> Ethernet transformer for Isolation. > >> Are you saying that you have one ethernet phy at earth potential, a >> second at ~240VAC and the cable floats? Can you use a gas tube surge >> suppressor on the cable pairs to earth > > Surely you've heard of Ethernet over Power?
No, but I've heard of Power over Ethernet. That's only 48VDC though...
mac <alex.colvin@valley.net> wrote:
>>> My ethernet circuit floats at ~ 240AC mains and I'd like to use the >>> Ethernet transformer for Isolation. > >> Are you saying that you have one ethernet phy at earth potential, a >> second at ~240VAC and the cable floats? Can you use a gas tube surge >> suppressor on the cable pairs to earth > > Surely you've heard of Ethernet over Power?
Forgot the ;) -- mac the na&iuml;f
You can get medical grade isolation transformers for Ethernet. Not sure how much this one costs but they are usually well north of $100: http://www.baaske-medical.de/product_info.php/info/p478_Netzwerk-Isolator-MED-MI-1005.html/XTCsid/uclhpdj0bctjeufg6sf7pkjkn4 You'd have to ask them where they can be bought in Australia. Or maybe you guys have local suppliers for such transformers. The IT department of a large hospital might know. But I am not sure your 240VAC floating setup is legit in the first place. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/ "gmail" domain blocked because of excessive spam. Use another domain or send PM.
Joerg wrote:

> You can get medical grade isolation transformers for Ethernet. Not sure > how much this one costs but they are usually well north of $100: > > http://www.baaske-medical.de/product_info.php/info/p478_Netzwerk-Isolator-MED-MI-1005.html/XTCsid/uclhpdj0bctjeufg6sf7pkjkn4 > > You'd have to ask them where they can be bought in Australia. Or maybe > you guys have local suppliers for such transformers. The IT department > of a large hospital might know. > > But I am not sure your 240VAC floating setup is legit in the first place.
IMHO, I don't think it would pass UL, CE or CSA without approved high side components and creepage distances. Then there's the issue of the cable and connector insulation and touch distances...

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference