Stealth Blinky

Started by Tim Wescott June 7, 2011
On 6/8/2011 7:17 AM, 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
> On Jun 7, 5:25 pm, D Yuniskis<not.going.to...@seen.com> wrote:
>> If stuck with a monochromatic LED, you can duty cycle modulate >> to get a "signal" that someone knowing what to look for can >> easily detect -- yet, to others, is nonexistent. E.g., at startup, >> run LED at 100% for 1.0 second (or some nice easily recognizable >> duration). Then drop down to ~80% for your "normal" indication. >> >> The drawback of this approach is that it isn't static -- you need >> to see the processor coming out of reset in order to sense the >> change in intensity. (you could also modulate the duty cycle >> with a very low duty cycle square wave so the lamp briefly >> brightens periodically) > > A steady-state full intensity duplicate right next to the 80% one > would give you enough contrast.
Yes, but that adds a component just to give you a "reference" (I think the point is to get as much information out of the least componentry)
> I wonder if cellphone cameras could 'see' an infrared LED? The > customer would see nothing, but your phone could be used to > troubleshoot/confirm operation.
Yes, most digital cameras will (though I can't speak for all!). But, an Ir LED doesn't tell the customer "power is on", etc. In fact, it might result in more support calls: "The power indicator (that *must* be what this thing does, right?) on my Wonkerator8000 doesn't light up!"
Op 08-Jun-11 16:17, 1 Lucky Texan schreef:

> I wonder if cellphone cameras could 'see' an infrared LED? The > customer would see nothing, but your phone could be used to > troubleshoot/confirm operation.
All cellphones with camera I have had so far were able to see IR LED's. It is a great diagnostics tool to check IR remotes.
On Jun 8, 9:58=A0am, D Yuniskis <not.going.to...@seen.com> wrote:
> On 6/8/2011 7:17 AM, 1 Lucky Texan wrote: > > > On Jun 7, 5:25 pm, D Yuniskis<not.going.to...@seen.com> =A0wrote: > >> If stuck with a monochromatic LED, you can duty cycle modulate > >> to get a "signal" that someone knowing what to look for can > >> easily detect -- yet, to others, is nonexistent. =A0E.g., at startup, > >> run LED at 100% for 1.0 second (or some nice easily recognizable > >> duration). =A0Then drop down to ~80% for your "normal" indication. > > >> The drawback of this approach is that it isn't static -- you need > >> to see the processor coming out of reset in order to sense the > >> change in intensity. =A0(you could also modulate the duty cycle > >> with a very low duty cycle square wave so the lamp briefly > >> brightens periodically) > > > A steady-state full intensity duplicate right next to the 80% one > > would give you enough contrast. > > Yes, but that adds a component just to give you a "reference" > (I think the point is to get as much information out of the > least componentry) > > > I wonder if cellphone cameras could 'see' an infrared LED? The > > customer would see nothing, but your phone could be used to > > troubleshoot/confirm operation. > > Yes, most digital cameras will (though I can't speak for all!). > But, an Ir LED doesn't tell the customer "power is on", etc. > In fact, it might result in more support calls: =A0"The power > indicator (that *must* be what this thing does, right?) on > my Wonkerator8000 doesn't light up!"
Just label it 'warning light'.
On 6/8/2011 11:03 AM, 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
> On Jun 8, 9:58 am, D Yuniskis<not.going.to...@seen.com> wrote:
>> Yes, most digital cameras will (though I can't speak for all!). >> But, an Ir LED doesn't tell the customer "power is on", etc. >> In fact, it might result in more support calls: "The power >> indicator (that *must* be what this thing does, right?) on >> my Wonkerator8000 doesn't light up!" > > Just label it 'warning light'.
Hmmm... you don't, by chance, work for MICROSOFT??? ;-) (sure sounds like the way *they* would "solve" the problem. And, then, file for PATENT PROTECTION on their innovative new idea! :-/ )
In message <1Kqdncn027VuGnPQnZ2dnUVZ_s2dnZ2d@web-ster.com>, Tim Wescott
<tim@seemywebsite.com> writes

>So, is it too weird to blink the lights under software control at 50 or >100Hz? They'll appear to be steady to the naked eye, but if you wave >the instrument in the air (it's hand-held) then a running processor >will show you a train of dashes, while a dead one will show you a solid >streak.
Another trick would be to wave your hand, fingers spread in front of the 100Hz LED. You will get a stroboscopic effect and the LED will seem to blink slower. -- To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon