Controlling 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 microcontroller.

Started by Srinivas Nayak June 29, 2012
Hi,

I am designing a 8051 microcontroller system. It has ports for interfacing.
How can I control a 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 microcontroller ports?

In essence, how do we control high voltage applications using 8051 microcontroller?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
"Srinivas Nayak" <sinu.nayak2001@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > I am designing a 8051 microcontroller system. It has ports for > interfacing. > How can I control a 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 microcontroller > ports? > > In essence, how do we control high voltage applications using 8051 > microcontroller? > > Sincerely, > Srinivas Nayak
For a one off? Solid State Relay perhaps.
In article <d7b16c6d-5082-4196-a953-07e01a966d81@googlegroups.com>,
sinu.nayak2001@gmail.com says...
> > Hi, > > I am designing a 8051 microcontroller system. It has ports for interfacing. > How can I control a 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 microcontroller ports? > > In essence, how do we control high voltage applications using 8051 microcontroller?
With a lot of care... :-) First of all, I would not say 230 V is 'high voltage'. Second, I suspect you should learn first the basics. An EE course might help you.

http://www.dnatechindia.com/Tutorial/8051-Tutorial/Interfacing-Relay-to-Mic= rocontroller.html In short, you connect a digital output pin of your microcontroller to the relay circuit input. The relay is needed to provide an insulation from the (high) voltage.
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:06:24 +0200, Ignacio G.T. wrote:

> In article <d7b16c6d-5082-4196-a953-07e01a966d81@googlegroups.com>, > sinu.nayak2001@gmail.com says... >> >> Hi, >> >> I am designing a 8051 microcontroller system. It has ports for >> interfacing. How can I control a 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 >> microcontroller ports? >> >> In essence, how do we control high voltage applications using 8051 >> microcontroller? > > With a lot of care... :-) > > First of all, I would not say 230 V is 'high voltage'. Second, I suspect > you should learn first the basics. An EE course might help you.
If you don't already know how to do it an EE course won't tell you. A _technician's_ course will show you how, but not why, and it won't help you (much) in selecting parts that will last through the ages. The EE course _plus_ the technician's "how-to" is what you need if you're going to do this all the time. -- My liberal friends think I'm a conservative kook. My conservative friends think I'm a liberal kook. Why am I not happy that they have found common ground? Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Software http://www.wescottdesign.com
Use something like this: http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/640456/FUNK-LAMPENSCHALTER-RSLR2/?ref=detview and connect the 8051 to the remote switch.
On 29.06.2012 13:32, Srinivas Nayak wrote:

> How can I control a 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 microcontroller ports?
If you need to ask, the answer has to be yelled: YOU CAN'T, AND YOU'RE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO TRY. Seriously. That's a potentially lethal voltage you're talking about. As in: get this wrong and odds are you'll KILL someone. So don't go there.
> In essence, how do we control high voltage applications using 8051 microcontroller?
We do it with knowledge acquired by intensive, professional training, or get someone with such training to do it for us. Neither of which can be had from conversations on the internet.
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 21:11:56 +0200, Hans-Bernhard Br&ouml;ker
<HBBroeker@t-online.de> wrote:

>On 29.06.2012 13:32, Srinivas Nayak wrote: > >> How can I control a 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 microcontroller ports? > >If you need to ask, the answer has to be yelled: > > YOU CAN'T, AND YOU'RE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO TRY. > >Seriously. That's a potentially lethal voltage you're talking about. >As in: get this wrong and odds are you'll KILL someone. So don't go there.
Lethal *power* anyway 8-) I am always amused to see "High Voltage" warning signs on electrical equipment because high voltage isn't necessarily dangerous. With enough amperage any voltage can kill, but it's well know to police and security forces that the tiny 50KV stun guns (don't know the amps) are fairly useless ... they can startle a person and maybe hurt them but they are very unlikely to incapacitate - the professional ones now are 1-2MV. George
"George Neuner" <gneuner2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 21:11:56 +0200, Hans-Bernhard Br&#4294967295;ker > <HBBroeker@t-online.de> wrote: > >>On 29.06.2012 13:32, Srinivas Nayak wrote: >> >>> How can I control a 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 microcontroller >>> ports? >> >>If you need to ask, the answer has to be yelled: >> >> YOU CAN'T, AND YOU'RE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO TRY. >> >>Seriously. That's a potentially lethal voltage you're talking about. >>As in: get this wrong and odds are you'll KILL someone. So don't go >>there. > > Lethal *power* anyway 8-) > > I am always amused to see "High Voltage" warning signs on electrical > equipment because high voltage isn't necessarily dangerous. With > enough amperage any voltage can kill, but it's well know to police and > security forces that the tiny 50KV stun guns (don't know the amps) are > fairly useless ... they can startle a person and maybe hurt them but > they are very unlikely to incapacitate - the professional ones now are > 1-2MV. > > George
That's just being picky. The aim of high voltage signs is to keep people away from things that can harm them.
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 04:32:57 -0700 (PDT), Srinivas Nayak
<sinu.nayak2001@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, > >I am designing a 8051 microcontroller system. It has ports for interfacing. >How can I control a 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 microcontroller ports? > >In essence, how do we control high voltage applications using 8051 microcontroller?
In the USA low voltage is anything below 600 V, in the rest of the world (IEC) low voltage is something below 1000 Vac or 1500 Vdc. In reality, you have two options: * run the 8051 and associated peripherals, such as switches and potentiometers close to ground potential and use some means, such as a relay or optoisolator to drive a TRIAC at mains voltage. * Let the 8051 float with the mains voltage close to the TRIAC gate potential, but please remember, any interfaces, such as switches and potentiometer shafts must be certified for at least 2500 V isolation voltage, depending on national standards.

Memfault Beyond the Launch