'Real time' Wireless communication (Fencing scoring)

Started by Jon S. May 14, 2004
On 19 May 2004 01:52:49 -0700, jonsquire2000@hotmail.com (Jon S.)
wrote:

>Im my club, all adult amateur fencers practice epee.I don't know if >this is true in general.
At our club (Espada), Tuesday night is mostly epee, and Friday has some serious foilists. Swash and Buckle and many other London clubs are mostly foil.
>I still like the idea of designing a non-commercial but reliable one >weapon(epee) system for recreational use. I don't know how important >'tip to floor' and 'tip to tip' contact is.I haven't seen a conductive >floor in amateur fencing.
It's certainly attractive by volume, but it does mean that you can make NO changes to weapons. Tip to tip contact is rare. Tip to floor contact is essential only with a conductive piste.
>Does such a 'stripped down' still make sense for an amateur fencer ?
Yes. Don't forget about minimum contact time. If you can figure out how to deal with the target jackets for foil and sabre, you will have a three weapon box and should then also be able to deal with conductive pistes. I'll happily test units for you. Stephen -- Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@INVALID.mpeltd.demon.co.uk MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time 133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web: http://www.mpeltd.demon.co.uk - free VFX Forth downloads
"Jon S." <jonsquire2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> I started looking into simple 'car-key' tranceivers. At work i design > products that use wireless technology (Aerocomm, Maxstream...) for > serial communication. Altough very reliable, i think these devices > aren't the way to go with 'ms' timing constraints.
Have you seen the "spike" wireless technology (targeted for wireless game controllers)? http://www.elevenengineering.com/products/SPIKE.asp
Thanks for the link. They list a 5.5 ms latency in their datasheets...

Stephen, any idea what kind of latency we should be looking for ? How
'fast' is epee fencing ?

Stijn

On 24 May 2004 03:11:20 -0700, jonsquire2000@hotmail.com (Jon S.)
wrote:

>Thanks for the link. They list a 5.5 ms latency in their datasheets... > >Stephen, any idea what kind of latency we should be looking for ? How >'fast' is epee fencing ?
There are two timing issue in the rules. One is minimum touch time, and the other is discrimination between "simultaneous" hits which are more common than one would think. I don't have a copy of the current rule book and I'm off on a trip tomorrow until the weekend. You really do need a copy of the FIE rules and someone at your club will have them. See also www.fie.ch www.britishfencing.com According to my club chairman, Espada will be installing two electric pistes this year. It seems that lighter portable pistes are becoming available. Stephen -- Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@INVALID.mpeltd.demon.co.uk MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time 133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web: http://www.mpeltd.demon.co.uk - free VFX Forth downloads