Mini-Itx

Started by whiplash May 8, 2004
Jim Stewart wrote:
> > Edward Lee epl wrote: > > Jim Stewart <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message news:<141c51c3d2db5e85b91caa1006836aa0@news.teranews.com>... > > > >>We solved this problem with our Thin Client > >> > >>http://www.jkmicro.com/products/thinclient.html > >> > >>by putting a PIC processor in the power supply. > >>The PIC sequences the voltages, provides a > >>watchdog function and provides a positive power > >>on boot (depending on jumper settings). > > > > > > This remind me of the big boys ways of solving problems. > > > > 1. Microsoft gives annoying pop-ups on internet explorer. It solves > > the problem with another annoying MSN adv. bar to block the pop-ups. > > I would prefer a configuration option to stop pop-ups. > > > > 2. Intel gives ATX power switch. You solves the problem with another > > micro to power sequence it. I would prefer to go back to AT power and > > declare that ATX power was a big mistake. > > Sigh. I was happy with AT power supplies, and > I don't particularly enjoy sticking processors > in power supplies. The reality is that you can't > outsmart anything with a couple diodes and a > resistor any more so we're stuck with somewhat > inelegant but cost-effective solutions.
I thought that a "Power Good" signal was output by *all* ATX and AT PSUs. Can't this be used to turn the Mobo on? I expect it would require a jumper or maybe even an inverter, but that is a lot simpler than an MCU. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
> I solved this problem with a capacitor and resistor in series, 10uf and > 2.7k across the power switch jumper, worked every time for me, much
Argh! No! Not an RC power strobe! :)
rickman wrote:
> Jim Stewart wrote: > >>Edward Lee epl wrote: >> >>>Jim Stewart <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message news:<141c51c3d2db5e85b91caa1006836aa0@news.teranews.com>... >>> >>> >>>>We solved this problem with our Thin Client >>>> >>>>http://www.jkmicro.com/products/thinclient.html >>>> >>>>by putting a PIC processor in the power supply. >>>>The PIC sequences the voltages, provides a >>>>watchdog function and provides a positive power >>>>on boot (depending on jumper settings). >>> >>> >>>This remind me of the big boys ways of solving problems. >>> >>>1. Microsoft gives annoying pop-ups on internet explorer. It solves >>>the problem with another annoying MSN adv. bar to block the pop-ups. >>>I would prefer a configuration option to stop pop-ups. >>> >>>2. Intel gives ATX power switch. You solves the problem with another >>>micro to power sequence it. I would prefer to go back to AT power and >>>declare that ATX power was a big mistake. >> >>Sigh. I was happy with AT power supplies, and >>I don't particularly enjoy sticking processors >>in power supplies. The reality is that you can't >>outsmart anything with a couple diodes and a >>resistor any more so we're stuck with somewhat >>inelegant but cost-effective solutions. > > > I thought that a "Power Good" signal was output by *all* ATX and AT > PSUs. Can't this be used to turn the Mobo on? I expect it would > require a jumper or maybe even an inverter, but that is a lot simpler > than an MCU.
You missed the top part of the thread. The original issue was making sure that the machine would always power up when input power came up, whether or not the user did a shutdown.
Jim Stewart wrote:
> > rickman wrote: > > Jim Stewart wrote: > > > >>Edward Lee epl wrote: > >> > >>>Jim Stewart <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message news:<141c51c3d2db5e85b91caa1006836aa0@news.teranews.com>... > >>> > >>> > >>>>We solved this problem with our Thin Client > >>>> > >>>>http://www.jkmicro.com/products/thinclient.html > >>>> > >>>>by putting a PIC processor in the power supply. > >>>>The PIC sequences the voltages, provides a > >>>>watchdog function and provides a positive power > >>>>on boot (depending on jumper settings). > >>> > >>> > >>>This remind me of the big boys ways of solving problems. > >>> > >>>1. Microsoft gives annoying pop-ups on internet explorer. It solves > >>>the problem with another annoying MSN adv. bar to block the pop-ups. > >>>I would prefer a configuration option to stop pop-ups. > >>> > >>>2. Intel gives ATX power switch. You solves the problem with another > >>>micro to power sequence it. I would prefer to go back to AT power and > >>>declare that ATX power was a big mistake. > >> > >>Sigh. I was happy with AT power supplies, and > >>I don't particularly enjoy sticking processors > >>in power supplies. The reality is that you can't > >>outsmart anything with a couple diodes and a > >>resistor any more so we're stuck with somewhat > >>inelegant but cost-effective solutions. > > > > > > I thought that a "Power Good" signal was output by *all* ATX and AT > > PSUs. Can't this be used to turn the Mobo on? I expect it would > > require a jumper or maybe even an inverter, but that is a lot simpler > > than an MCU. > > You missed the top part of the thread. The original > issue was making sure that the machine would always > power up when input power came up, whether or not the > user did a shutdown.
I *do* understand that. But the power good signal can be used to control the power on button. There is a standby supply that can provide voltage to control a simple circuit that will use the power good signal to activate the power on button. As long as power good is not asserted, the power on button should be asserted. When power good comes up, the power on button can be released. If the Power Good signal is high true, this circuit would be two transistors. If the Power Good signal is low true, this circuit can be *one* transistor. Quite a bit simpler than an MCU! -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
On Sat, 8 May 2004 09:28:55 -0400, whiplash <mike_d2@NOSPAMnetlane.com>
wrote:

> I'm looking for a hardware/software switch to allow the MB to be always > on -
You can use cheap external modem powered from the same mains as headless computer. As soon as power comes up, the DTR signal gets active indicating that external power is present and modem is ready (which might or might not be of value in the case). Vadim
rickman wrote:
> Jim Stewart wrote: > >>rickman wrote: >> >>>Jim Stewart wrote: >>> >>> >>>>Edward Lee epl wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>>>Jim Stewart <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message news:<141c51c3d2db5e85b91caa1006836aa0@news.teranews.com>... >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>>We solved this problem with our Thin Client >>>>>> >>>>>>http://www.jkmicro.com/products/thinclient.html >>>>>> >>>>>>by putting a PIC processor in the power supply. >>>>>>The PIC sequences the voltages, provides a >>>>>>watchdog function and provides a positive power >>>>>>on boot (depending on jumper settings). >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>This remind me of the big boys ways of solving problems. >>>>> >>>>>1. Microsoft gives annoying pop-ups on internet explorer. It solves >>>>>the problem with another annoying MSN adv. bar to block the pop-ups. >>>>>I would prefer a configuration option to stop pop-ups. >>>>> >>>>>2. Intel gives ATX power switch. You solves the problem with another >>>>>micro to power sequence it. I would prefer to go back to AT power and >>>>>declare that ATX power was a big mistake. >>>> >>>>Sigh. I was happy with AT power supplies, and >>>>I don't particularly enjoy sticking processors >>>>in power supplies. The reality is that you can't >>>>outsmart anything with a couple diodes and a >>>>resistor any more so we're stuck with somewhat >>>>inelegant but cost-effective solutions. >>> >>> >>>I thought that a "Power Good" signal was output by *all* ATX and AT >>>PSUs. Can't this be used to turn the Mobo on? I expect it would >>>require a jumper or maybe even an inverter, but that is a lot simpler >>>than an MCU. >> >>You missed the top part of the thread. The original >>issue was making sure that the machine would always >>power up when input power came up, whether or not the >>user did a shutdown. > > > I *do* understand that. But the power good signal can be used to > control the power on button. There is a standby supply that can provide > voltage to control a simple circuit that will use the power good signal > to activate the power on button. As long as power good is not asserted, > the power on button should be asserted. When power good comes up, the > power on button can be released. > > If the Power Good signal is high true, this circuit would be two > transistors. If the Power Good signal is low true, this circuit can be > *one* transistor. Quite a bit simpler than an MCU!
I should have know better than to bother a reply to you. I don't recall all the details, but I do know that what you propose didn't work reliably. That plus the fact that we needed a watchdog forced the MCU issue.
"rickman" <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> wrote

> I *do* understand that. But the power good signal can be used to > control the power on button. There is a standby supply that can
provide
> voltage to control a simple circuit that will use the power good
signal
> to activate the power on button. As long as power good is not
asserted,
> the power on button should be asserted. When power good comes up, the > power on button can be released.
Ain't gonna work, at least not reliably. There are allot of power supplies out there that just have the PwrGd connected directly to the 5V sources in the supply. I'm not saying that's a good thing, just saying that's the way it is.
> If the Power Good signal is high true, this circuit would be two > transistors. If the Power Good signal is low true, this circuit can
be
> *one* transistor. Quite a bit simpler than an MCU!
Really.....no passives needed? It's clear that you don't even know whether PwrGd is active high or low, I hope the OP sees the big red flag on that.
Anthony Fremont wrote:
> > "rickman" <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> wrote > > > I *do* understand that. But the power good signal can be used to > > control the power on button. There is a standby supply that can > provide > > voltage to control a simple circuit that will use the power good > signal > > to activate the power on button. As long as power good is not > asserted, > > the power on button should be asserted. When power good comes up, the > > power on button can be released. > > Ain't gonna work, at least not reliably. There are allot of power > supplies out there that just have the PwrGd connected directly to the 5V > sources in the supply. I'm not saying that's a good thing, just saying > that's the way it is.
If that is true, then the supply is not in spec.
> > If the Power Good signal is high true, this circuit would be two > > transistors. If the Power Good signal is low true, this circuit can > be > > *one* transistor. Quite a bit simpler than an MCU! > > Really.....no passives needed? It's clear that you don't even know > whether PwrGd is active high or low, I hope the OP sees the big red flag > on that.
Why does it matter if I know the polarity of Power Good. Or are just trying to be insulting? I do know that the power on button is pulled high with a resistor so that you can parallel the switch with another switch of any sort. I expect the power good signal to be high true, but I don't recall what the spec says and I don't assume *anything* when it comes to the PC. -- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
"rickman" <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I thought that a "Power Good" signal was output by *all* ATX and AT > PSUs. Can't this be used to turn the Mobo on? I expect it would > require a jumper or maybe even an inverter, but that is a lot simpler > than an MCU. >
It might be better to combine ATX 5VSTBY and a 5V source from the mobo that's only on when in power-up state. Like the 5V that's available on the extra USB headers on many ITX boards. Or the +5V that powers the keyboard. When +5VSTBY is present and the USB header +5V is not, then after 500ms trigger the power button. Rob
"whiplash" <mike_d2@NOSPAMnetlane.com> wrote :

> Anybody using mini-itx
yes
> with XP embedded?
LOL no !
> I'm looking for a hardware/software switch to allow the MB to be > always on - ie. boots up as soon as power received - i.e. headless > remote operation, always on.
Bios "power on after power fail" Pozdrawiam. -- RusH // http://pulse.pdi.net/~rush/qv30/ Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.

Memfault Beyond the Launch