microcontroller with built-in op-amp

Started by Robert Scott January 12, 2005
I know there are micros with built-in comparators, but are there any
that have a built-in rail-to-rail op-amp suitable for conditioning a
strain-gage bridge sensor and reading the results on an A/D?

-Robert Scott
 Ypsilanti, Michigan
(Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply address is fake.)
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:58:58 GMT, no-one@dont-mail-me.com (Robert Scott) wrote:

> >I know there are micros with built-in comparators, but are there any >that have a built-in rail-to-rail op-amp suitable for conditioning a >strain-gage bridge sensor and reading the results on an A/D? > > >-Robert Scott > Ypsilanti, Michigan >(Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply address is fake.)
There are a few but performance is usually somewhat compromised compared to an external amp.
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:58:58 GMT, the renowned no-one@dont-mail-me.com
(Robert Scott) wrote:

> >I know there are micros with built-in comparators, but are there any >that have a built-in rail-to-rail op-amp suitable for conditioning a >strain-gage bridge sensor and reading the results on an A/D?
Some of the micros with delta-sigma ADCs have PGAs built in that would be suitable for that sort of application. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
Robert Scott wrote:

> > I know there are micros with built-in comparators, but are there any > that have a built-in rail-to-rail op-amp suitable for conditioning a > strain-gage bridge sensor and reading the results on an A/D? > > > -Robert Scott > Ypsilanti, Michigan > (Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply > address is fake.)
Check out Cypress' PSOCs. They have field-programmalbe analog gate arrays with zippy little MCU attached. Noel
Hi Robert,
look at www.ti.com for the MSP430 series, there are devices with opamp,
for example the MSP430FG437.

Andreas
Robert Scott wrote:

> I know there are micros with built-in comparators, but are there any > that have a built-in rail-to-rail op-amp suitable for conditioning a > strain-gage bridge sensor and reading the results on an A/D? >
You can also do this using a DAC, and an increasing number of mixed signal uC now also nclude DACS - see MSC12xx from TI, most SiLabs C8051Fxx series, some Philips LPC series (etc). -jg
"Robert Scott" <no-one@dont-mail-me.com> wrote in message
> > I know there are micros with built-in comparators, but are there any > that have a built-in rail-to-rail op-amp suitable for conditioning a > strain-gage bridge sensor and reading the results on an A/D?
Not a great idea to amplify such a low level signal inside a micro banging the rails with digital noise. Your signal to noise ratio will be huge. You are better off amplifying with an external op amp, with a good board layout to minimize noise floor. Then feed that into a micro with A2D inputs.

Noel Henson wrote:

> Robert Scott wrote: > > > > > I know there are micros with built-in comparators, but are there any > > that have a built-in rail-to-rail op-amp suitable for conditioning a > > strain-gage bridge sensor and reading the results on an A/D? > > > > > > -Robert Scott > > Ypsilanti, Michigan > > (Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply > > address is fake.) > > Check out Cypress' PSOCs. They have field-programmalbe analog gate arrays > with zippy little MCU attached. > > Noel
The PSoC fits the bill. BUT the Op-Amps and the analog have limitations. It may or may not work in your application. The Zippy little MCU is limited by the weak C compiler. ( code is a little big and the ROM is a little small) (I am told ASM is OK) No bit operands. the Development environment has a big learning curve. It is good for many things, But not all.
Robert Scott wrote:
> I know there are micros with built-in comparators, but are there any > that have a built-in rail-to-rail op-amp suitable for conditioning a > strain-gage bridge sensor and reading the results on an A/D? > > > -Robert Scott > Ypsilanti, Michigan > (Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply address is fake.)
A microcontroller on a chip is a too noisy friend to low-level analog signals, like strain gages. Could you think the other way around: take an external very good A/D and use it on the bridge directly? For examples, get Linear Technology LTC2420 data sheets and application notes. -- Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi
"Tauno Voipio" <tauno.voipio@iki.fi.NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
> Could you think the other way around: take an > external very good A/D and use it on the bridge > directly?
Take a look at the UTI (Universal Transducer Interface) from Smartec (www.smartec.nl). This interface almost any type of sensor (bridge, resistive, capacitive) to a uC. It compensates offset errors and the signal to the uC is a multi-phase squareware which contains the measured value as well as the reference value. Extremely good circuit. It is also used to measue fF capacities in Tunneling Electron Microscopes. Meindert

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference