Two quick RS-485 questions

Started by Lewin A.R.W. Edwards April 29, 2004

http://www.2cmc.com/pga/pga_2h.htm
> >2. Can I use cat5 network cable for the cable run? I ask because both >I and the customer have metric truckloads of the stuff lying about.
my 2c worth
> >> 1. What's the cheapest assembled RS232 to RS485 converter I can > >> recommend to the customer? (I'm not supplying this piece to > > Try the raw RS232 signal. We used to routinely connect terminals > over 1000 feet or more of unshielded multi-wire cable (not twisted
I can't be sure the computer in question will meet RS232 specs, but more importantly, I was asked specifically to implement RS485 in this case. Also there are actually to be two installations - 300ft is the run length for the first installation, but the second installation "could be longer" (they aren't clear on this yet, it's in a different facility a long way away). This application is basically a remote indicator panel; there is a computer in an office that needs to drive a large matrix of indicator lamps sitting next to a conveyor belt on a warehouse floor. Actually there are five conveyor belts, and each has a bank of approximately five hundred indicator lamps next to it. It sounds very "Metropolis" because there is apparently a worker watching the indicators intently; as a "something" comes down the conveyor, the worker grabs something as indicated by a lamp on this panel, and sticks it onto the "something". I have to admit I don't fully understand how the workflow is supposed to function in this environment, but I was given very detailed specifications on how this particular piece is supposed to work, so I am kind of ignoring the big picture.
On 2004-04-30, Lewin A.R.W. Edwards <larwe@larwe.com> wrote:
> [...]
Yes, I'm sure that's what he meant. OTOH, yellow is the fastest color on cars[1], so perhaps there's a best color for RS-485 signalling. [1] I learned that at http://www.riceboypage.com/. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Yow! I threw up on at my window! visi.com
Thanks muchly to all who replied. I am in good shape to get this
project completed. It's a fun little item. And the news that I can
maybe run as much as several thousand feet on cat5 is great, because I
still have no info on that second site.
"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, > > I have to implement a very simple multidrop RS485 application, > carrying slow 2400bps or even 1200bps data from a PC to a half-dozen > devices about 300 feet away. The data flow is unidirectional; the > devices don't talk back. Low cost is a significant factor in this. I > plan to stick an RS485 driver on an AVR, weld on the small additional > logic I need, and put it in a box. > > Two quickies: > > 1. What's the cheapest assembled RS232 to RS485 converter I can > recommend to the customer? (I'm not supplying this piece to him. I am > going to test with an SBC that has RS485 built-in).
I think a current loop might be your cheapest option. You would need a proper 'driver' at the TX side while all receivers are merely cheap optocouplers at a fraction of the price of an RS-422/485 receiver. And as a bonus, you'll get galvanic isolation for free.
> 2. Can I use cat5 network cable for the cable run? I ask because both > I and the customer have metric truckloads of the stuff lying about.
With 2400 bps and a current loop you could even use fence wire. So yes, cat5 will be fine :-) Meindert
> > I have to implement a very simple multidrop RS485 application, > > carrying slow 2400bps or even 1200bps data from a PC to a half-dozen > > I think a current loop might be your cheapest option. You would need a > proper 'driver' at the TX side while all receivers are merely cheap
Ah, but I'm required by the customer to use RS485, sorry. I should have made that clearer in my original posting. BTW, the driver/receiver I'm using is the SN75LBC179P, which is $1.26 in 25pc quantities, not too bad. I just finished a nasty prototype PCB layout and created the BOM, and I find that as long as they make at least 10 of these, it's going to be _way_ cheaper than my ballpark guess. Since they already have purchase approval for the ballpark guess, I come out looking like a hero for being under budget ;)
> > > I have to implement a very simple multidrop RS485 application, > > > carrying slow 2400bps or even 1200bps data from a PC to a half-dozen > > > > I think a current loop might be your cheapest option. You would need a > > proper 'driver' at the TX side while all receivers are merely cheap > > Ah, but I'm required by the customer to use RS485, sorry. I should > have made that clearer in my original posting. > > BTW, the driver/receiver I'm using is the SN75LBC179P, which is $1.26 > in 25pc quantities, not too bad.
That is indeed cheaper than the Maxim counterpart.
> I just finished a nasty prototype PCB > layout and created the BOM, and I find that as long as they make at > least 10 of these, it's going to be _way_ cheaper than my ballpark > guess. Since they already have purchase approval for the ballpark > guess, I come out looking like a hero for being under budget ;)
:-) Meindert
If you want to build your own converter, I recommend MAX485 or MAX487.
Not the cheapest parts, but one of the best I think.
We are using MAX487 with 92 workloads and get 1200 meters with 115200
Baud and CAT5 without problems. Not bad I think.

> I can't be sure the computer in question will meet RS232 specs, but > more importantly, I was asked specifically to implement RS485 in this > case.
Almost all "real" PC's use at least +/- 9V, which is enough. Be aware if you are using Notebooks, the often use +/-5V or less (especially when powered from the batteries). The simplest an fastest way is to buy a RS232-RS485 converter box. But there are many many converters available, and many of them are rubbish. We used the IPCON I-7520R over 100 times and got 1800m with 9600 Baud and CAT5. Best regards, -- Bernhard Roessmann
"Meindert Sprang" <mhsprang@NOcustomSPAMware.nl> writes:

> "Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message > news:608b6569.0405030258.363074a8@posting.google.com... > > > > I have to implement a very simple multidrop RS485 application, > > > > carrying slow 2400bps or even 1200bps data from a PC to a half-dozen > > > > > > I think a current loop might be your cheapest option. You would need a > > > proper 'driver' at the TX side while all receivers are merely cheap > > > > Ah, but I'm required by the customer to use RS485, sorry. I should > > have made that clearer in my original posting. > > > > BTW, the driver/receiver I'm using is the SN75LBC179P, which is $1.26 > > in 25pc quantities, not too bad. > > That is indeed cheaper than the Maxim counterpart.
Cheapest is probably a generic 75176, e.g. DS75176BM or SN75176AD, ~ $0.20 each / 100. -- John Devereux
John Devereux wrote:

> > Cheapest is probably a generic 75176, e.g. DS75176BM or SN75176AD, ~ $0.20 > each / 100. >
Where do you get new ones for that price? Cheapest I have seen is double that. Thanks, Joe Legris