USB host

Started by Drazen April 14, 2004
Hi everyone,

we are electronic designers and we want to read/write USD Drive keys in an
electronic controller produced by ourselves. No standard Operating System
(e.g. WinCE, Linux etc.) is used. We want to develop the function in our
private firmware to read/write your USB Drive Key but we don't know how it
works. We studied the USB 2.0 specifications overview but we believe that
generic USB specifications are too wide for our purposes; we think we can
use a small subset of commands.

Can anyone help us ? Every kind of suggestion is welcome !
Is there someone that has developed an USB host on an embedded controller ?
We need ONLY to read USB drive keys in place of floppy disk.

Thank you.

Alessandro

Have you heard of a thing called Google? http://www.jungo.com/components_usbm.html http://www.softconnex.com/products.html Leo Havm&#4294967295;ller.
Go here and follow the links for USB On-The-Go: http://www.lvr.com/usb.htm -- Joe Legris
> Have you heard of a thing called Google?
No, what is it ? :-))))))) It's just several day that I search with google and I find and downloaded so much documentation that my brain realize nothing. I'm only looking for some suggestion to better refine my search.
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:12:47 GMT, Drazen wrote:

> Hi everyone, > > we are electronic designers and we want to read/write USD Drive keys in an > electronic controller produced by ourselves. No standard Operating System > (e.g. WinCE, Linux etc.) is used. We want to develop the function in our > private firmware to read/write your USB Drive Key but we don't know how it > works. We studied the USB 2.0 specifications overview but we believe that > generic USB specifications are too wide for our purposes; we think we can > use a small subset of commands. > > Can anyone help us ? Every kind of suggestion is welcome ! > Is there someone that has developed an USB host on an embedded controller ? > We need ONLY to read USB drive keys in place of floppy disk. > > Thank you. > > Alessandro
Several Silicon manufacturers sell development kits for their USB chips wich include software examples. Philips, Cypress and CYgnal(Silicon Labs) to name a few. Bob
> Is there someone that has developed an USB host on an embedded controller ? > We need ONLY to read USB drive keys in place of floppy disk.
Look at Atmel's host part, which has built-in firmware to do the mass-storage support for you.
Bob Stephens <stephensyomamadigital@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<lyu8aplgq57w.37huemzrlhba$.dlg@40tude.net>...
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:12:47 GMT, Drazen wrote: > > > Hi everyone, > > > > we are electronic designers and we want to read/write USD Drive keys in an > > electronic controller produced by ourselves. No standard Operating System > > (e.g. WinCE, Linux etc.) is used. We want to develop the function in our > > private firmware to read/write your USB Drive Key but we don't know how it > > works. We studied the USB 2.0 specifications overview but we believe that > > generic USB specifications are too wide for our purposes; we think we can > > use a small subset of commands. > > > > Can anyone help us ? Every kind of suggestion is welcome ! > > Is there someone that has developed an USB host on an embedded controller ? > > We need ONLY to read USB drive keys in place of floppy disk. > > > > Thank you. > > > > Alessandro > > Several Silicon manufacturers sell development kits for their USB chips > wich include software examples. Philips, Cypress and CYgnal(Silicon Labs) > to name a few. > > Bob
I used an SL811HS on a PIC 18F452. Took a couple of days to port over the parts of the Cypress 8051 C code to CCS. I can now talk to the hub, memory and wlan key. Only problem I had was the clock on the SL811, I tried a 12 Mhz Xtal, but had to change to a 48Mhz oscilator. Not USB2 , but good enough for embedded. I now feel I was afraid of USB for too long Richard
Alessandro,

On Time's RTUSB-32 http://www.on-time.com/rtusb.htm is a portable USB host stack for USB 1.1 and 2.0. To operate USB mass storage devices, you would also need a file system. On Time's RTFiles-32 http://www.on-time.com/rtfiles.htm together with RTUSB-32 supports all USB disks formatted with FAT-12/16/32 and ISO-9660 file systems. Peter
Drazen wrote:

> Hi everyone, > > we are electronic designers and we want to read/write USD Drive keys in an > electronic controller produced by ourselves. No standard Operating System > (e.g. WinCE, Linux etc.) is used. We want to develop the function in our > private firmware to read/write your USB Drive Key but we don't know how it > works. We studied the USB 2.0 specifications overview but we believe that > generic USB specifications are too wide for our purposes; we think we can > use a small subset of commands. > > Can anyone help us ? Every kind of suggestion is welcome ! > Is there someone that has developed an USB host on an embedded controller ? > We need ONLY to read USB drive keys in place of floppy disk. > > Thank you. > > Alessandro > >
Why not to look at the linux drivers to have ideas for your implementation ? Bye, Stefano.

Memfault Beyond the Launch