Any idea of minimum safe pixel clock for an 800x600 TFT LCD?

Started by Josh Lowe April 6, 2004
"Wolfgang Mahringer" <yeti201@gmx.at> wrote in message
> HTH > Wolf, visiting "down under" soon :-)
And where down under might you be visiting?
On 6 Apr, in article
     <ff40ef64.0404061848.32b8a211@posting.google.com>
     joshtlowe@yahoo.com.au "Josh Lowe" wrote:

>Thanks to all for your replies - the project is an enhancer for the >visually impaired, comprising an image source, DSP + possibly a micro, >and the LCD - it will enhance a video stream to make reading and the >like easier for those with general sight problems and also who have >difficulties with low-contrast colour combinations... thus the display >will essentially be showing a video stream, and potentially a rough >menu of some sort.
Then you will meet some interesting challenges for your project.
>The total area including the blanking intervals would be 860*615). >Since 860*615=528600 NCLK/frame, using a 16MHz micro would probably >only allow an 8 or 4Mhz NCLK to be generated, giving ~15 or 7.5 fps, >respectively. I'm happy enough with that admittedly abysmal frame rate >(the project is just a proof-of-concept and we're somewhat limited in >terms of available hardware and budget), but if a low NCLK (period of >~125-250nS) is going to cause damage to the LCD, I'll have to find an >alternate way. The alternative would probably involve using some >programmable logic as a line buffer tied to the memory bus of the DSP.
'Line buffer', I would simply use a frame buffer with dedicated hardware control that can fit in a small FPGA/CPLD to control the frame buffer. Even possibly using a double frame buffer if your update rates are slower than refresh rate of the LCD. This is not a costly thing to do and with Video RAM devices or similar could be quite small in board area. That way you can have your continuous clock from power up.
>As I said before, the DSP approach appeals to me in terms of elegance, >but if the M16C can be used at all, that is likely to be the >preference...
If you use the M16C, it will probabbly for setup/control/menu OSD control whilst the DSP is doing the grunt work of video processing. Last bit of real time enhancement onto LCDs I did recently had dedicated hardware and CPLDs controlling video in through to LCD, the onboard micro dealt with setup, mode changes, backlights and user interaction.
>As far as the clock source goes, it would be derived from a clock >output on the chip (either a divided-down version of the system clock >or an output from a timer set up for this task), so it would be >continuous. Ultimately
If the software hangs or you are debugging the startup and have the LCD connected, you could end up with the clock not running for a period of time. -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserv.demon.co.uk <http://www.pcserv.demon.co.uk/> Main Site <http://www.gnuh8.org.uk/> GNU H8 & mailing list info. <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate.
Thanks for the electrolysis explanation guys. Makes that operating
danger somewhat clearer. Paul - I'm going to see whether we have any
decent FPGA EVB's around which I can play with - it look as though
setting up an external controller would be brighter (and ultimately
easier from the DSP/M16C side of things).

Given that the memory interface for the DSP can interface to async
memory devices as well as SDRAM, I guess the operating frequency of
the programmable logic is not likely to be a problem.
On 7 Apr, in article
     <ff40ef64.0404072029.61f08c5c@posting.google.com>
     joshtlowe@yahoo.com.au "Josh Lowe" wrote:

>Thanks for the electrolysis explanation guys. Makes that operating >danger somewhat clearer. Paul - I'm going to see whether we have any >decent FPGA EVB's around which I can play with - it look as though >setting up an external controller would be brighter (and ultimately >easier from the DSP/M16C side of things). > >Given that the memory interface for the DSP can interface to async >memory devices as well as SDRAM, I guess the operating frequency of >the programmable logic is not likely to be a problem.
One book you may find useful on video, filtering and digital design (if you can find it) is Video Demystified by Kieth Jack of Brooktree ISBN 1-878707-09-4, which covers digital decoding and encoding including genlocking of video. This should at least help you with understanding of colour video standards and conversions, interlace to non-interlace conversion. -- Paul Carpenter | paul@pcserv.demon.co.uk <http://www.pcserv.demon.co.uk/> Main Site <http://www.gnuh8.org.uk/> GNU H8 & mailing list info. <http://www.badweb.org.uk/> For those web sites you hate.