bombproof RS485 chips?

Started by Dennis Clark April 2, 2004
"Dennis Clark" <dlc@io.frii.com> schreef in bericht
news:406df1b1$0$199$75868355@news.frii.net...
> Paul Keinanen <keinanen@sci.fi> wrote: > : On 02 Apr 2004 05:03:14 GMT, Dennis Clark <dlc@io.frii.com> wrote: > > Paul, > > I've read the app notes on total galvanic isolation and have a question > for those who may have more experience than I in that area. My network > will be quite short (less than three meters total) and all of the nodes > as well as the cabling will be on the same supply, in the same box and > near the same noise. In those circumstances it seems to me that total > galvanic isolation is a pretty elaborate design, and not really useful > since the board is as likely to be "hit" as the cable by any static > blast or motor CMI. Am I off base with that thinking or with total > isolation actually be of value in this environment?
If everything is inside the same 'machine' you don't need heavy protection at all. 1K2 - 120 - 1K2 between +5, datalines A and B and GND. You can use the unprotected LTC485. If you feel better with more protection, there is the LTC1485 and a bunch of others. -- Thanks, Frank. (remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)
In article <406df1b1$0$199$75868355@news.frii.net>
           dlc@io.frii.com "Dennis Clark" writes:

> Paul Keinanen <keinanen@sci.fi> wrote: > : On 02 Apr 2004 05:03:14 GMT, Dennis Clark <dlc@io.frii.com> wrote: > > Paul, > > I've read the app notes on total galvanic isolation and have a question > for those who may have more experience than I in that area. My network > will be quite short (less than three meters total) and all of the nodes > as well as the cabling will be on the same supply, in the same box and > near the same noise. In those circumstances it seems to me that total > galvanic isolation is a pretty elaborate design, and not really useful > since the board is as likely to be "hit" as the cable by any static > blast or motor CMI. Am I off base with that thinking or with total > isolation actually be of value in this environment?
The environment sounds like it won't be as hostile as the ones I am used to dealing with (even the biggest vacuum pump and stepper motors, being controlled down the same cable bundle, where I work causes me no problems on over 180m of network run). Having the shorter cable run and the fact that all nodes are on the same power supply will help you a lot. You can protect the node electronics by enclosing them in their own metal shroud and ensuring that that shroud is bonded to the outer case (it's boxes within boxes type protection). You will need to ensure that each node stub-length is as short as possible to the interface drivers (to minimise impedance mis-matching errors) so no long T-off's. You may well get away without galvanic isolation (but I would put that in place anyway - especially to protect the rest of the electronics). It may seem like a lot of extra effort but is well worth doing as it will save money down the line if the worst happens and you lose node.
-- ******************************************************************** Paul E. Bennett ....................<email://peb@amleth.demon.co.uk> Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....<http://www.amleth.demon.co.uk/> Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 .........NOW AVAILABLE:- HIDECS COURSE...... Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095 .... see http://www.feabhas.com for details. Going Forth Safely ..... EBA. www.electric-boat-association.org.uk.. ********************************************************************
To echo what's already been said, so long as you ensure that the transient energy is dumped BEFORE it hits the transceiver, it should be fine. Steve http://www.sfdesign.co.uk http://www.fivetrees.com