What is Real Time Operating System?

Started by Allen March 27, 2004
On 26 Mar 2004 22:35:19 -0800, sfbong@tm.net.my (Allen) wrote:
>I saw the word "RTOS" appeared many times in this group but have no >idea what it is. So could the experts here give me a brief idea what >is it in non-technical terms?
This means that it reacts fast enough on your process to be able to control it "really in time". So if something is realtime depends on your process - software combination. In practice, by real-time systems are meant that react fast. So a windows systems that makes your program halt for 2 seconds is not real-time.
>Which OSes in the market are qualified as RTOS?
There are a lot, see other newsgroup messages. It is just like the word "embedded". I usually work with embedded systems that conatin a small processor, some electronics and firmware to control machines etc. That is my view on "embedded". But I also have a customer that has huge servosystems that they control with PC's with Windows NT (RealTime..), vision software, windows based robot software, and they call such a system "embedded". Probably because it "is embedded in the machine". Pieter
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:36:23 GMT, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com>
wrote:

[...re: "What is an RTOS?"...
> >A system where you can make a guarantee of the maximum interval >between requesting an action and performing that action.
I mostly agree with this...
> >In other words it can't continuously put it off because something >more important came up.
But I strongly disagree with this. As least the way it's written. In fact, I'd say one of the primary differences between an RTOS and a Desktop OS is that the RTOS *can* indefinitely put something off because something more important came up (but not because something *less* important came up). A Desktop OS has "fairness" as a major design goal -- don't starve any philosopher. An RTOS replaces "fairness" with "correctness" -- just because the printer driver hasn't run in the last ten seconds doesn't mean it gets to run before the actuator control task is finished making sure there's no collision with the robot arm... Regards, -=Dave -- Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Dave Hansen wrote:
> CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote: > > [...re: "What is an RTOS?"... >> >> A system where you can make a guarantee of the maximum interval >> between requesting an action and performing that action. > > I mostly agree with this... > >> >> In other words it can't continuously put it off because something >> more important came up. > > But I strongly disagree with this. As least the way it's written. > > In fact, I'd say one of the primary differences between an RTOS > and a Desktop OS is that the RTOS *can* indefinitely put something > off because something more important came up (but not because > something *less* important came up). > > A Desktop OS has "fairness" as a major design goal -- don't starve > any philosopher. An RTOS replaces "fairness" with "correctness" > -- just because the printer driver hasn't run in the last ten > seconds doesn't mean it gets to run before the actuator control > task is finished making sure there's no collision with the robot > arm...
Well, let's reword it then :-) "Because it fabricated something more important to deal with" maybe. Obviously all bets are off if it is given tasks beyond its ability, such as exceeding maximum throughput. But we have to be able to say that if task a appears no more than every A millisecs, and task b every B millisecs, etc. then task c will get handled within CC millisecs of a c request. And so forth for each and every task. What delay constitutes real time can vary with the task, but must be predicatable. At any rate, I wanted a really short summary :-) -- fix (vb.): 1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view; 2. to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences that are worse than the original problem. Usage: "Windows ME fixes many of the shortcomings of Windows 98 SE". - Hutchison
> > The license must have changed a lot since then -- now it's a couple grand.
I hope i read my email wrong, but i was told by someone that i have to pay $2500 PER UNIT (!?!?) sold. I hope he meant that i pay a one-time $2500 fee for that product, and then am allowed to sell as many as i want to. Otherwise, there is no way i can price my product at $300. I'd be making a $300-$2500 = --(-$2200) loss per product. oh well.
Mike V. <valemike@yahoo.com> says...

>> The license must have changed a lot since then -- now it's a couple grand. > >I hope i read my email wrong, but i was told by someone that i have to >pay $2500 PER UNIT (!?!?) sold. I hope he meant that i pay a one-time >$2500 fee for that product, and then am allowed to sell as many as i >want to. Otherwise, there is no way i can price my product at $300. >I'd be making a $300-$2500 = --(-$2200) loss per product. oh well.
Yes, but you make it up by volume... <grin> -- Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager for hire. Remember Doc Brown from the _Back to the Future_ movies? Do you have an "impossible" engineering project that only someone like Doc Brown can solve? My resume is at http://www.guymacon.com/
 said...
> > Mike V. <valemike@yahoo.com> says... > > >> The license must have changed a lot since then -- now it's a couple grand. > > > >I hope i read my email wrong, but i was told by someone that i have to > >pay $2500 PER UNIT (!?!?) sold. I hope he meant that i pay a one-time > >$2500 fee for that product, and then am allowed to sell as many as i > >want to. Otherwise, there is no way i can price my product at $300. > >I'd be making a $300-$2500 = --(-$2200) loss per product. oh well. > > Yes, but you make it up by volume... <grin>
That was the same concept for The Change Bank, wasn't it? Casey
In article <8188616d.0404041458.16bd20aa@posting.google.com>, Mike V. wrote:

>> The license must have changed a lot since then -- now it's a couple grand. > > I hope i read my email wrong, but i was told by someone that i > have to pay $2500 PER UNIT (!?!?) sold. I hope he meant that i > pay a one-time $2500 fee for that product, and then am allowed > to sell as many as i want to.
Exactly. IIRC, there's also a site-license available (for an unlimited number of products all developed at a particular location). -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! My Aunt MAUREEN was at a military advisor to IKE & visi.com TINA TURNER!!
Wait,so it is a one-time fee PER PRODUCT designed? Or i keep paying
that fee for every unit I ship?

On 2004-04-05, Mike V. <valemike@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Wait,so it is a one-time fee PER PRODUCT designed?
Yes.
> Or i keep paying that fee for every unit I ship?
No.
Who told you that? -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! I predict that by at 1993 everyone will live in visi.com and around LAS VEGAS and wear BEATLE HAIRCUTS!