Forums

OT: WTD: Cheap Android tables w/ Bluetooth

Started by hamilton July 7, 2013
I have noticed that many of the inexpensive Android tablets (7") do not 
have Bluetooth.
(I guess that helps make them cheap)

By cheap I mean under $100 w/free shipping.

As the previous posting "Controlling embedded devices from tables apps",

Tables are getting cheap enough to "buy one to use on a single project".

But the Bluetooth limitation makes it harder to find one.

Thanks,

hamilton
Hi Hamilton,

On 7/7/2013 10:25 AM, hamilton wrote:
> I have noticed that many of the inexpensive Android tablets (7") do not > have Bluetooth. > (I guess that helps make them cheap) > > By cheap I mean under $100 w/free shipping. > > As the previous posting "Controlling embedded devices from tables apps", > > Tables are getting cheap enough to "buy one to use on a single project". > > But the Bluetooth limitation makes it harder to find one.
If you can tolerate the smaller screen size, look for a BT-enabled PDA. I picked up five HP PDA's with WiFi and BT for $20 (total) including the larger batteries, charging cradles, etc. Of course, much less available horsepower but, IMO, a UI shouldn't require lots of MIPS. (For hand-held interfaces, I find the size of a PDA much more appropriate than that of even the smallest of tablets) <shrug> Just a thought... --don
On 7/7/2013 3:10 PM, Don Y wrote:
> Hi Hamilton, > > On 7/7/2013 10:25 AM, hamilton wrote: >> I have noticed that many of the inexpensive Android tablets (7") do not >> have Bluetooth. >> (I guess that helps make them cheap) >> >> By cheap I mean under $100 w/free shipping. >> >> As the previous posting "Controlling embedded devices from tables apps", >> >> Tables are getting cheap enough to "buy one to use on a single project". >> >> But the Bluetooth limitation makes it harder to find one. > > If you can tolerate the smaller screen size, look for a BT-enabled > PDA. I picked up five HP PDA's with WiFi and BT for $20 (total) > including the larger batteries, charging cradles, etc. Of course, > much less available horsepower but, IMO, a UI shouldn't require > lots of MIPS. > > (For hand-held interfaces, I find the size of a PDA much more > appropriate than that of even the smallest of tablets) > > <shrug> Just a thought... > --don
Interesting idea. What operating system do those have ? Are development tools available for them ? thanks hamilton
On 7/7/2013 7:03 PM, hamilton wrote:
> On 7/7/2013 3:10 PM, Don Y wrote: >> Hi Hamilton, >> >> On 7/7/2013 10:25 AM, hamilton wrote: >>> I have noticed that many of the inexpensive Android tablets (7") do not >>> have Bluetooth. >>> (I guess that helps make them cheap) >>> >>> By cheap I mean under $100 w/free shipping. >>> >>> As the previous posting "Controlling embedded devices from tables apps", >>> >>> Tables are getting cheap enough to "buy one to use on a single project". >>> >>> But the Bluetooth limitation makes it harder to find one. >> >> If you can tolerate the smaller screen size, look for a BT-enabled >> PDA. I picked up five HP PDA's with WiFi and BT for $20 (total) >> including the larger batteries, charging cradles, etc. Of course, >> much less available horsepower but, IMO, a UI shouldn't require >> lots of MIPS. >> >> (For hand-held interfaces, I find the size of a PDA much more >> appropriate than that of even the smallest of tablets) >> >> <shrug> Just a thought... >> --don > > Interesting idea. > > What operating system do those have ? > Are development tools available for them ? > > thanks > hamilton >
PS: Where did you find them ?
hamilton wrote:

> I have noticed that many of the inexpensive Android tablets (7") do not > have Bluetooth. (I guess that helps make them cheap) > > By cheap I mean under $100 w/free shipping. > > As the previous posting "Controlling embedded devices from tables apps", > > Tables are getting cheap enough to "buy one to use on a single project". > > But the Bluetooth limitation makes it harder to find one.
hongkongeek.com sells two such BT tablets (from SANEI) http://hongkongeek.com/google-android-tablets/2287-7-sanei-n70-mtk6515-12ghz-single-sim-gsm-android-40-512mb-ddr2-bluetooth-4gb.html http://hongkongeek.com/google-android-tablets/2278-70-sanei-n78-mtk6575-12ghz-single-sim-2g-gsm-android-41-512mb-ddr3-bluetooth-4gb.html (No idea about the build quality of this brand, and couldn't find much from a very quick search.)
On 7/8/2013 2:16 AM, Noob wrote:
> hamilton wrote: > >> I have noticed that many of the inexpensive Android tablets (7") do not >> have Bluetooth. (I guess that helps make them cheap) >> >> By cheap I mean under $100 w/free shipping. >> >> As the previous posting "Controlling embedded devices from tables apps", >> >> Tables are getting cheap enough to "buy one to use on a single project". >> >> But the Bluetooth limitation makes it harder to find one. > > hongkongeek.com sells two such BT tablets (from SANEI) > > http://hongkongeek.com/google-android-tablets/2287-7-sanei-n70-mtk6515-12ghz-single-sim-gsm-android-40-512mb-ddr2-bluetooth-4gb.html > > http://hongkongeek.com/google-android-tablets/2278-70-sanei-n78-mtk6575-12ghz-single-sim-2g-gsm-android-41-512mb-ddr3-bluetooth-4gb.html > > > (No idea about the build quality of this brand, and couldn't find > much from a very quick search.) >
Thank you Noob, w/BLE is a good find. hamilton
Hi Hamilton,

On 7/7/2013 6:09 PM, hamilton wrote:

>>>> I have noticed that many of the inexpensive Android tablets (7") do not >>>> have Bluetooth. >>>> (I guess that helps make them cheap) >>>> >>>> By cheap I mean under $100 w/free shipping. >>>> >>>> As the previous posting "Controlling embedded devices from tables >>>> apps", >>>> >>>> Tables are getting cheap enough to "buy one to use on a single >>>> project". >>>> >>>> But the Bluetooth limitation makes it harder to find one. >>> >>> If you can tolerate the smaller screen size, look for a BT-enabled >>> PDA. I picked up five HP PDA's with WiFi and BT for $20 (total) >>> including the larger batteries, charging cradles, etc. Of course, >>> much less available horsepower but, IMO, a UI shouldn't require >>> lots of MIPS. >>> >>> (For hand-held interfaces, I find the size of a PDA much more >>> appropriate than that of even the smallest of tablets)
>> Interesting idea. >> >> What operating system do those have ?
The units I most recently acquired use something MS-related (CE? WM?). In the past, I've installed NetBSD on PDA's so I could develop in an environment to which I am more accustomed. However, I now "talk RDP" in my application ("controlled device") so I can just use the PDA as a TS client and *not* have to develop any code to run on the PDA. Keep in mind, I am using these things for one-offs -- usually rapid prototyping deployments so I can show someone what a device would look like without having to design/implement final hardware/software. And, the UI is an "optional accessory" in each case. I.e., it "bolts onto" (figuratively) the device; the device doesn't require the UI in order to perform its normal function (at least, those parts that do not involve "talking to the user").
>> Are development tools available for them ? >> >> thanks >> hamilton >> > PS: Where did you find them ?
I keep an eye open for cruft like this -- ebay, auctions, CL, etc. Not the sort of things you can *plan* on picking up whenever you want/need them... I've accumulated a fair selection over the years ranging in size, capabilities, etc. E.g., I have some very small cell phones that are also WiFi/BT enabled so I can keep the UI in my pocket instead of having to carry something large (like a full size PDA or a tablet). Some even have "sliding keyboards", etc. So, you can have a "capable" interface in a really tiny package. (you might consider older generation phones, as well -- if you can tolerate the smaller screen) [I am keen on reducing the physical size of UI's so they are less significant in a product's design] HTH, --don