AREF bypass capacitance on ATMega2560?

Started by Joerg August 19, 2013
Folks,

What's the usual capacitance? Any stability issues there? I was planning
on using a 1uF X7R ceramic cap on the AREF pin of an ATMega2560, in
order to be able to use its internal bandgap reference. I saw people
using 0.1uF and 0.47uF. The datasheet is silent about stuff like that,
as usual.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Folks, > > What's the usual capacitance? Any stability issues there? I was planning > on using a 1uF X7R ceramic cap on the AREF pin of an ATMega2560, in > order to be able to use its internal bandgap reference. I saw people > using 0.1uF and 0.47uF. The datasheet is silent about stuff like that, > as usual.
MCU manufacturers are so generally so clueless with respect to the analog aspects... I would just experiment with a devkit if at all worried. -- John Devereux
On 8/19/2013 3:14 PM, Joerg wrote:

 > Folks,
 > What's the usual capacitance?

0.1uF

 > Any stability issues there?

Nothing special.

 > I was planning
 > on using a 1uF X7R ceramic cap on the AREF pin of an ATMega2560, in
 > order to be able to use its internal bandgap reference.

Do not. Use Vcc as reference.
Internal reference is inaccurate.

 > I saw people
 > using 0.1uF and 0.47uF. The datasheet is silent about stuff like that,
 > as usual.

It doesn't really matter.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Designs
www.abvolt.com

Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:
> On 8/19/2013 3:14 PM, Joerg wrote: > > > Folks, > > What's the usual capacitance? > > 0.1uF > > > Any stability issues there? > > Nothing special. > > > I was planning > > on using a 1uF X7R ceramic cap on the AREF pin of an ATMega2560, in > > order to be able to use its internal bandgap reference. > > Do not. Use Vcc as reference. > Internal reference is inaccurate.
I noticed that awhile ago. The specs on my LDO regulator were about 5x better than the specs on the internal "reference".
Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:
> On 8/19/2013 3:14 PM, Joerg wrote: > >> Folks, >> What's the usual capacitance? > > 0.1uF > >> Any stability issues there? > > Nothing special. > >> I was planning >> on using a 1uF X7R ceramic cap on the AREF pin of an ATMega2560, in >> order to be able to use its internal bandgap reference. > > Do not. Use Vcc as reference. > Internal reference is inaccurate. >
Yeah, sure looks ghastly. I provided my own reference from another board and filtered it with 0.1uF.
However, not everyone knows that because they don't say much about the innards of the chip. It's my first ATMega case, or maybe the 2nd. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Finally gave up and bit the uC bullet? ;-) Tim -- Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Tim Williams wrote:
> "Joerg" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message > news:b7l1blFlu93U2@mid.individual.net... >>>> I saw people >>>> using 0.1uF and 0.47uF. The datasheet is silent about stuff like that, >>>> as usual. >>> It doesn't really matter. >>> >> However, not everyone knows that because they don't say much about the >> innards of the chip. It's my first ATMega case, or maybe the 2nd. > > Finally gave up and bit the uC bullet? ;-) >
Sometimes you need it. A while ago I even had a switcher design that would have been totally impossible to do without a uC. But it does raise eyebrows if I request timers and port pins and MIPS, probably because of my analog background. "YOU want some of the uC resources? What for?" -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Vladimir Vassilevsky skrev 2013-08-21 21:47:
> On 8/19/2013 3:14 PM, Joerg wrote: > > > Folks, > > What's the usual capacitance? > > 0.1uF > > > Any stability issues there? > > Nothing special. > > > I was planning > > on using a 1uF X7R ceramic cap on the AREF pin of an ATMega2560, in > > order to be able to use its internal bandgap reference. > > Do not. Use Vcc as reference. > Internal reference is inaccurate. >
I remember a customer design where the Vcc rippled between 3 and 5 Volt. Was cheap, but then using Vcc as a reference is NO GOOD. BR Ulf Samuelsson
On 8/22/2013 1:51 PM, Joerg wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote: >> "Joerg"<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message >> news:b7l1blFlu93U2@mid.individual.net... >>>>> I saw people >>>>> using 0.1uF and 0.47uF. The datasheet is silent about stuff like that, >>>>> as usual. >>>> It doesn't really matter. >>>> >>> However, not everyone knows that because they don't say much about the >>> innards of the chip. It's my first ATMega case, or maybe the 2nd. >> >> Finally gave up and bit the uC bullet? ;-) >> > > Sometimes you need it. A while ago I even had a switcher design that > would have been totally impossible to do without a uC. But it does raise > eyebrows if I request timers and port pins and MIPS, probably because of > my analog background. "YOU want some of the uC resources? What for?"
Sounds to me like you need FPGA resources moreso than an MCU. Are you using the ADC or DAC, guess so or are you using the reference for the brownout or something else? DACs are easy in FPGAs, ADCs not as easy. Otherwise FPGAs do everything an MCU does plus... -- Rick
rickman wrote:
> On 8/22/2013 1:51 PM, Joerg wrote: >> Tim Williams wrote: >>> "Joerg"<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message >>> news:b7l1blFlu93U2@mid.individual.net... >>>>>> I saw people >>>>>> using 0.1uF and 0.47uF. The datasheet is silent about stuff like >>>>>> that, >>>>>> as usual. >>>>> It doesn't really matter. >>>>> >>>> However, not everyone knows that because they don't say much about the >>>> innards of the chip. It's my first ATMega case, or maybe the 2nd. >>> >>> Finally gave up and bit the uC bullet? ;-) >>> >> >> Sometimes you need it. A while ago I even had a switcher design that >> would have been totally impossible to do without a uC. But it does raise >> eyebrows if I request timers and port pins and MIPS, probably because of >> my analog background. "YOU want some of the uC resources? What for?" > > Sounds to me like you need FPGA resources moreso than an MCU. Are you > using the ADC or DAC, guess so or are you using the reference for the > brownout or something else? DACs are easy in FPGAs, ADCs not as easy. > Otherwise FPGAs do everything an MCU does plus... >
I nearly always need ADC capability. Not for the brownout, I never trust anything on those chips for that, the POR/BOR/WDT goes external. FPGA have some downsides, they tend to become large, expensive and sometimes power-hungry when you need math capability or an MCU core. But the main issue for many projects is people. If the client has the experts in house like in this case, fine. But if not then one is better off using a uC where one can find a programmer in nearly every town. This is one reason I am often partial to the 8051. Of course the beauty of FPGA is that the availability of very fast glue logic. Most uC are sorely lacking in that domain. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/