have more like $40 or less in mind.
(3) If a PCI device cannot be connected to cPCI without expensive
parts, where can I get one-board or 2-board cPCI backplane, or
chassis? All the chasses I've searched start at 4u.
(4) Whats the best source of lowcost/used EIDE or SCSI cPCI boards?
(5) Any recommendations or suggestions? Especially how to connect a
harddisk without using a PCI card?

Thanks in advance for any help.
On 2004-03-14 12:14, Ghazan Haider wrote:
> I have access to a 6u cPCI CP2060 Ultrasparc 500MHz board with 512MB > Ram on board. It also has 2 ethernet chips, USB and serial, but no > connectors on the front panel. The size of the board and its very low > power requirements (23W max) begs the question, can it be put into a > 1U chassis and how. > > I will need a cPCI power supply that fits in 1u. Given than, I'll need > to connect a PCI scsi card to this board. So here goes my questions: > > (1) Can a cPCI device be connected to a PCI device on a pin-to-pin > basis minus the cPCI power segment? > (2) Whats the best source of lowcost/used cPCI power supplies? Ive > checked eBay without success. Elsewhere the price exceeds $4000. I > have more like $40 or less in mind. > (3) If a PCI device cannot be connected to cPCI without expensive > parts, where can I get one-board or 2-board cPCI backplane, or > chassis? All the chasses I've searched start at 4u. > (4) Whats the best source of lowcost/used EIDE or SCSI cPCI boards? > (5) Any recommendations or suggestions? Especially how to connect a > harddisk without using a PCI card? > > > Thanks in advance for any help.
This is a Sun product, and manuals etc. can be found at: http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/CPU_Boards/Netra_CP2060_CP2080/index.html I've not used this particular board, but for I/O access a rear I/O transition card in a cPCI rack is recommended, unless you want to hack something yourself. The rear I/O would have all connectors you need. As for PCI to cPCI, there are some adapters (VMETRO sell some) but it's really intended for lab use, not production. I've used 2-5 slot 6U cPCI backplanes from TreNew in a generic configuration in my lab, but the power is either external ATX or screw-in connectors to a 6U unit, no 1U power...but I guess you could roll your own. /Rolf
I could connect the right pins, bring out ethernet and serial pins
from the back panel etc, but I dont think I should tryto power cPCI
myself. I know datasheets both of the cPCI standard and this board are
availabel, but I expect clock issues, other detection issues (this
board detects if it should be active or passive). Something that just
connects to the rear panel and provices power, or a single slot 6u
backplane would be wonderful, given its cheap enough.

I guess theres a reason why this board was so cheap on eBay.
ghazan@ghazan.haider.name (Ghazan Haider) wrote in message news:<2f57764a.0403140314.10c07a01@posting.google.com>...
> I have access to a 6u cPCI CP2060 Ultrasparc 500MHz board with 512MB > Ram on board. It also has 2 ethernet chips, USB and serial, but no > connectors on the front panel. The size of the board and its very low > power requirements (23W max) begs the question, can it be put into a > 1U chassis and how. > > I will need a cPCI power supply that fits in 1u. Given than, I'll need > to connect a PCI scsi card to this board. So here goes my questions: > > (1) Can a cPCI device be connected to a PCI device on a pin-to-pin > basis minus the cPCI power segment? > (2) Whats the best source of lowcost/used cPCI power supplies? Ive > checked eBay without success. Elsewhere the price exceeds $4000. I > have more like $40 or less in mind. > (3) If a PCI device cannot be connected to cPCI without expensive > parts, where can I get one-board or 2-board cPCI backplane, or > chassis? All the chasses I've searched start at 4u. > (4) Whats the best source of lowcost/used EIDE or SCSI cPCI boards? > (5) Any recommendations or suggestions? Especially how to connect a > harddisk without using a PCI card? > > > Thanks in advance for any help.
I really don't know it this will be of any help but take a look at this: http://www.advantech.com/products/sub_category.asp?Category_ID=1-DEN3F Regards, Goran Stepanovic IMP - Telekomunikacije Volgina 15, 11000 Beograd Serbia & Montenegro
Hey thanks alot. I didnt find it on that site, but from its links I
found this:
http://www.interfacebus.com/chassis.html#h

And have been going through each company looking for 1 slot 6u
ATX-powered backplane. I even found a 2-slot and many 3-slots. I saw a
couple 1u enclosures but theyre around $500 and that defeats my
purpose of getting a cheap powerful ultrasparc 1u server.

Now my new question, and I guess I'll have to ask this in a new thread
to get a good answer:

Can you use a 6u cPCI card in a 7u, or a 3u slot? The card is the
active controller and doesnt really need to communicate with anything
else through cPCI, so can a 3u cPCI backplane power a 6u card...

Oh well back to the datasheets, I'm 95% convinced its possible.

Thanks again
On 2004-03-18 20:45, Ghazan Haider wrote:
> Hey thanks alot. I didnt find it on that site, but from its links I > found this: > http://www.interfacebus.com/chassis.html#h > > And have been going through each company looking for 1 slot 6u > ATX-powered backplane. I even found a 2-slot and many 3-slots. I saw a > couple 1u enclosures but theyre around $500 and that defeats my > purpose of getting a cheap powerful ultrasparc 1u server. > > Now my new question, and I guess I'll have to ask this in a new thread > to get a good answer: > > Can you use a 6u cPCI card in a 7u, or a 3u slot? The card is the > active controller and doesnt really need to communicate with anything > else through cPCI, so can a 3u cPCI backplane power a 6u card... > > Oh well back to the datasheets, I'm 95% convinced its possible. > > Thanks again
Yes, provided there's no mechanical snag, the 3U backplane has to be fastened in the bottom half of the 6U rack, and the 6U middle/3U top support must not interfere with the cPCI P3 connector. I have used customized supports to allow mixing 3U/6U in one rack, so I know it's possible. (bottom/top, etc assuming the board is vertically mounted) /Rolf
Thanks a bunch Rolf, that helped alot. Mechanical snags arent a
problem since I'll put it all in a 1u rack and will be drilling holes
and adding supports all customized. In the first stage, I have to add
power to the system. If the 3u sPCI power works out (right after I
find a cheap source), second stage is connecting its ethernet pinout
to an rj45 port and booting the system. Third is a PMC card, or some
other way of adding main storage...

...I dont even wanna think about the third stage now :)

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference