GDB-compatible Debugger for the Freescale Coldfire MCF52235CAL60 V2 Ethernet Processor

Started by Randy Yates September 1, 2014
Hi Folks,

I've been searching for a device like this and have only located one
thus far, the Abatron BDI3000. However, at $2600, this is outside my
budget.

Does anyone know of a less expensive debugger that meets these
requirements? The goal is to put together a toolchain involving it,
Sourcery's gnu toolchain for the device, and Eclipse. So the key is
requirement is that it must be compatible with Eclipse's debugging
interface.

Other information I have found on the subject:

    1.  Called P&E and verified that the USB-ML-CFE (shipped with the Coldfire
        M52235EVB) does not support gnu debugging.

    2.  Called Segger about their JLink debugger and found it doesn't support the
        Coldfire processor, mainly just the ARM processors.  Nor do they have one
        that does.

PS: Note that the Freescale Coldfire utilizes the BDM debug interface.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
Randy Yates <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a less expensive debugger that meets these > requirements? The goal is to put together a toolchain involving it, > Sourcery's gnu toolchain for the device, and Eclipse. So the key is > requirement is that it must be compatible with Eclipse's debugging > interface.
Why not use directly the Freescale Toolchain (that is based on Eclipse)? Bye Jack -- Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?
Randy Yates <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> wrote:
> I've been searching for a device like this and have only located one > thus far, the Abatron BDI3000. However, at $2600, this is outside my > budget.
PEEDI from Ronetix matches the specs, but it is in the same price range as Abatron's device. There are a number of open-source BDM interfaces (eg. OSBDM from P&E[1], USBDM[2]), but they are pretty much only supported with CodeWarrior. TBLCF, the originator of all these open-source interfaces, had some degree of support in the BDM tools[3] package, but AFAIK it hasn't been maintained in a long while. -a [1] <http://www.pemicro.com/osbdm/> [2] <http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/> [3] <http://sourceforge.net/projects/bdm/>

You mean the one that costs $5000? -- Randy Yates Digital Signal Labs http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

...and that only runs under Windoze? -- Randy Yates Digital Signal Labs http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

Thanks much, Anders, for these specific references! -- Randy Yates Digital Signal Labs http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
"Randy Yates" <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> wrote in message
> Randy Yates <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> writes: > >> pippo2@disney.com (Jack) writes: >> >>> Randy Yates <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> wrote: >>> >>>> Does anyone know of a less expensive debugger that meets these >>>> requirements? The goal is to put together a toolchain involving it, >>>> Sourcery's gnu toolchain for the device, and Eclipse. So the key is >>>> requirement is that it must be compatible with Eclipse's debugging >>>> interface. >>> >>> Why not use directly the Freescale Toolchain (that is based on Eclipse)? >>> >>> Bye Jack >> >> You mean the one that costs $5000? > > ...and that only runs under Windoze?
Dunno about the first part, but if it's based upon Eclipse why would it only run under windows? tim
On 1.9.14 22:11, tim..... wrote:
> > "Randy Yates" <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> wrote in message > news:87d2bfmc7e.fsf@digitalsignallabs.com... >> Randy Yates <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> writes: >> >>> pippo2@disney.com (Jack) writes: >>> >>>> Randy Yates <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>> Does anyone know of a less expensive debugger that meets these >>>>> requirements? The goal is to put together a toolchain involving it, >>>>> Sourcery's gnu toolchain for the device, and Eclipse. So the key is >>>>> requirement is that it must be compatible with Eclipse's debugging >>>>> interface. >>>> >>>> Why not use directly the Freescale Toolchain (that is based on >>>> Eclipse)? >>>> >>>> Bye Jack >>> >>> You mean the one that costs $5000? >> >> ...and that only runs under Windoze? > > Dunno about the first part, but if it's based upon Eclipse why would it > only run under windows? > > tim
Eclipse is not the whole show. It is using other tools, like compiler, assembler, linker and debugger, which all need to run under the OS with the Eclipse setup. Any of the necessary tools may be sufficient to ruin running under something else than Windows. -- Tauno Voipio
"tim....." <tims_new_home@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> "Randy Yates" <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> wrote in message > news:87d2bfmc7e.fsf@digitalsignallabs.com... >> Randy Yates <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> writes: >> >>> pippo2@disney.com (Jack) writes: >>> >>>> Randy Yates <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>> Does anyone know of a less expensive debugger that meets these >>>>> requirements? The goal is to put together a toolchain involving it, >>>>> Sourcery's gnu toolchain for the device, and Eclipse. So the key is >>>>> requirement is that it must be compatible with Eclipse's debugging >>>>> interface. >>>> >>>> Why not use directly the Freescale Toolchain (that is based on Eclipse)? >>>> >>>> Bye Jack >>> >>> You mean the one that costs $5000? >> >> ...and that only runs under Windoze? > > Dunno about the first part, but if it's based upon Eclipse why would > it only run under windows?
tim, I'm just going by what they say on their site. As Tauno said, it's probably because one or more of the components (e.g., the compiler toolchain, or even more likely, the driver for the debugger) only runs under Windoze. -- Randy Yates Digital Signal Labs http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
Randy Yates <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> wrote:

> pippo2@disney.com (Jack) writes: > > > Randy Yates <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> wrote: > > > >> Does anyone know of a less expensive debugger that meets these > >> requirements? The goal is to put together a toolchain involving it, > >> Sourcery's gnu toolchain for the device, and Eclipse. So the key is > >> requirement is that it must be compatible with Eclipse's debugging > >> interface. > > > > Why not use directly the Freescale Toolchain (that is based on Eclipse)? > > > > Bye Jack > > You mean the one that costs $5000?
The special edition is completely functional and free (until 64KB of compiled code for the Coldfire). At a certain point (last time I checked was 6 month ago),there was a version for Linux, but it seems that there isn't anymore. Bye Jack -- Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference