CD-ROM Audio Connector

Started by Ian McBride February 12, 2004
What is a good part number to put on a PCB that connects to the 3 wire "CD
Audio" cable that comes from an ATAPI CD or DVD drive?  I know I can just
put a .1" header, but it looks like the PC boards use a keyed receptacle
that also provides some friction to hold it in place.  Thanks.

> What is a good part number to put on a PCB that connects to the 3 wire "CD > Audio" cable that comes from an ATAPI CD or DVD drive? I know I can just
Motherboards and audio cards generally seem to use JST's PH-series 2mm connectors, which are very very cheap (I just recently went on a very similar quest!). The specific part you would be looking for is PHR-3 (for the shroud), SPH-002T-P0.5S or SPH-004T-P0.5S for the crimp pin (depends what wire gauge you want to use), and B3B-PH-K-S for a through-hole top-entry socket. Also available in through-hole side-entry and SMD top- and side-entry versions. There is also an IDC version of the pin. Lots of possibilities! Note: For your _specific_ application, it seems to be more common to use a 4-pin connector, with two center ground pins. I don't know why! Appropriate parts are PHR-4 and B4B-PH-K-S.
"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message

> Note: For your _specific_ application, it seems to be more common to > use a 4-pin connector, with two center ground pins. I don't know why! > Appropriate parts are PHR-4 and B4B-PH-K-S.
Thanks! The 3 pin connector is exactly this series. But the 4-pin connector is something else -- a polarized, latching connector. I see two types of cables discussed out there.. One is nominally called "ATAPI-to-ATAPI" which has 4 pin latching plugs on both ends, and another nominally called "ATAPI-to-JST" which has the 3-pin JST PH plug on one end and the 4 pin latching plug on the other. What I actually want to do is put both headers on the board to deal with both possibilities. Any idea what this polarized, latching 4-pin connector is?
OK.. For posterity.. I *believe* the 4-pin "ATAPI CD-Audio Connector" (aka
"MPC3 Audio Connector") is this:

  MOLEX P/N 70553-0003

This (or it's equivalent) is on the drives, and it's on newer motherboards.

As Lewin said, there is a 3-pin header that's used on older PC's:

  JST P/N B3B-PH-K-S

And sometimes, just to make things even more impossible, there is another
4-pin connector used as well, although when this connector is used, it seems
to have an alternate pinout (L-G-R-G instead of L-G-G-R).

  JST P/N B4B-PH-K-S

A sanity check is in order, of course.  This is a deceptively complex mire.

Hi Ian,

> The 3 pin connector is exactly this series. But the 4-pin connector is > something else -- a polarized, latching connector. I see two types of
Wellll... I haven't seen a connector like this recently, but older sound cards used to have a 100-mil latching Molex C-Grid connector, the Digi-Key part number of an equivalent _right angle_ _through hole_ header is WM4902-ND. You want the "G" version shroud, which has the latch. If you search for that part number, you'll get to page 97 of Digi-Key's catalog. Page 96 is the page you actually want to look at, with the illustrations and all. <http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T041/0096.pdf>.
> MOLEX P/N 70553-0003 > > This (or it's equivalent) is on the drives, and it's on newer motherboards.
> As Lewin said, there is a 3-pin header that's used on older PC's: > > JST P/N B3B-PH-K-S > > And sometimes, just to make things even more impossible, there is another > 4-pin connector used as well, although when this connector is used, it seems > to have an alternate pinout (L-G-R-G instead of L-G-G-R). > > JST P/N B4B-PH-K-S
Interesting. Your results differ from mine. The JST 4-pin you mention is the one I've seen more often (the one I recommended in fact :). The motherboards I have around here - various vintages - have either that or the 3-pin connector. I've only seen the Molex connector on quite old audio cards - 1998 vintage. And on those cards, it was paralleled with the JST 4-pin connector.

> Interesting. Your results differ from mine. The JST 4-pin you mention is > the one I've seen more often (the one I recommended in fact :). The > motherboards I have around here - various vintages - have either that or > the 3-pin connector.
OK. I think you're right. The Molex is really an older connector. It's nice for this application because of the latch, but I am putting all three of these connectors on the board to cover all bases: JST P/N B4B-PH-K-S (L-G-G-R) JST P/N B3B-PH-K-S (L-G-R) MOLEX P/N 70553-0003 (L-G-G-R)

Memfault Beyond the Launch