What does 'Programming experience with C on Linux is mandatory' mean?

Started by Robert Willy August 15, 2015
Hi,

I am an embedded engineer, having some C experience. There is a position which
says:

Position: Embedded Development Engineer

.Programming experience with C on Linux is mandatory

Here is Job Description:

"We are seeking Senior Software Engineers with experience in systems programming. The successful incumbent will develop / integrate / troubleshooting firmware components. This position is also responsible for designing, implementing, and optimizing algorithms for embedded Linux appliances. This position will be responsible for developing new and enhanced existent functionalities for software applications, determining functional requirements, estimating task effort, determining functional requirements and writing/reviewing functional design specifications, and related documentation. And, you will interact with the team end users and be called upon to deal with production and technical support issues."

And I have working experience on embedded Linux board BeagleBone.
I know bootloader, some knowledge on kernel, some device driver, a little on its file system.

Could you explain what content for "C on Linux"?

Thanks,
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 11:38:27 -0700, Robert Willy wrote:

> Hi, > > I am an embedded engineer, having some C experience. There is a position > which says: > > > Position: Embedded Development Engineer > > > .Programming experience with C on Linux is mandatory > > > Here is Job Description: > > "We are seeking Senior Software Engineers with experience in systems > programming. The successful incumbent will develop / integrate / > troubleshooting firmware components. This position is also responsible > for designing, implementing, and optimizing algorithms for embedded > Linux appliances. This position will be responsible for developing new > and enhanced existent functionalities for software applications, > determining functional requirements, estimating task effort, determining > functional requirements and writing/reviewing functional design > specifications, and related documentation. And, you will interact with > the team end users and be called upon to deal with production and > technical support issues." > > > > And I have working experience on embedded Linux board BeagleBone. > I know bootloader, some knowledge on kernel, some device driver, a > little on its file system. > > Could you explain what content for "C on Linux"?
Seems self-explanatory to me: they only want people who have written applications in C that run under Linux. -- www.wescottdesign.com
It means, if you don't have experience programming in C in a Linux environment, don't waste your time or theirs.
Robert Willy <rxjwg98@gmail.com> wrote in

> Hi, > > I am an embedded engineer, having some C experience. There is a > position which says: > > > Position: Embedded Development Engineer > > > .Programming experience with C on Linux is mandatory > > > Here is Job Description: > > "We are seeking Senior Software Engineers with experience in systems > programming. The successful incumbent will develop / integrate / > troubleshooting firmware components. This position is also responsible > for designing, implementing, and optimizing algorithms for embedded > Linux appliances. This position will be responsible for developing new > and enhanced existent functionalities for software applications, > determining functional requirements, estimating task effort, > determining functional requirements and writing/reviewing functional > design specifications, and related documentation. And, you will > interact with the team end users and be called upon to deal with > production and technical support issues." > > > > And I have working experience on embedded Linux board BeagleBone. > I know bootloader, some knowledge on kernel, some device driver, a > little on its file system. > > Could you explain what content for "C on Linux"? > > Thanks,
If you think your experience is relevant, detail it for them so that they can decide whether it is worth interviewing you. If you're not sure if you qualify for what they want you for just ignore the ad and move on to something relevant.
On 8/15/2015 12:38 PM, Robert Willy wrote:
> And I have working experience on embedded Linux board BeagleBone.
Lets see what this means. The Beaglebone has been on the market for maybe 5 years. You have not done any PRODUCTs with the BeagleBone. Your a hacker. OK, that's fine. The job description is seeking "Senior Software Engineer" Unless you can prove you have developed real products "written in C under Linux" You do not qualify.
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 11:38:27 -0700 (PDT), Robert Willy
<rxjwg98@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, > >I am an embedded engineer, having some C experience. There is a position which >says: > > >Position: Embedded Development Engineer > > >.Programming experience with C on Linux is mandatory > > >Here is Job Description: > >"We are seeking Senior Software Engineers with experience in systems programming. >The successful incumbent will develop / integrate / troubleshooting firmware components.
This requirement doesn't talk about Linux, it could very well be writing directly on bare hardware, often with limited processor speed, memory capacity etc.
>This position is _also_ responsible for designing, implementing, and optimizing algorithms for >embedded Linux appliances.
<underlining mine> This is an additional requirement.
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 2:00:38 AM UTC-7, upsid...@downunder.com wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 11:38:27 -0700 (PDT), Robert Willy > <rxjwg98@gmail.com> wrote: > > >Hi, > > > >I am an embedded engineer, having some C experience. There is a position which > >says: > > > > > >Position: Embedded Development Engineer > > > > > >.Programming experience with C on Linux is mandatory > > > > > >Here is Job Description: > > > >"We are seeking Senior Software Engineers with experience in systems programming. The successful incumbent will develop / integrate / troubleshooting firmware components. > > This requirement doesn't talk about Linux, it could very well be writing directly on bare hardware, often with limited processor speed, memory capacity etc.
That's taking the statement out of context. It's pretty clear that they mean Linux device firmware/driver, without repeating "Linux" every time.
> > >This position is _also_ responsible for designing, implementing, and optimizing algorithms for embedded Linux appliances. > > <underlining mine> > > This is an additional requirement.
Linux appliances usually mean some gui user app. So, be ready to do gtk/tcltk, automake, autoconf and all the fun stuff with gnu dependences.

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference