How can I Network using a microcontroller

Started by Omid Ghayour January 29, 2004
I have a microcontroller and I want to make a connection with a lan
card (a pc on a lan) using TCP/IP. I think to use the lan card IC to
control the protocol, but I need to write a driver for it on my
hardware. Can anybody help me to write the driver. I am experinced
(almost) on 8051 microcontroller.

Thanks,
Omid.
On 29 Jan 2004 04:50:40 -0800, ghayourn@yahoo.com (Omid Ghayour)
wrote:

[Follow-up's set to: comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.arch.embedded]

>I have a microcontroller and I want to make a connection with a lan >card (a pc on a lan) using TCP/IP. I think to use the lan card IC to >control the protocol, but I need to write a driver for it on my >hardware. Can anybody help me to write the driver. I am experinced >(almost) on 8051 microcontroller.
Not only will you need to write the packet driver, but you'll have to write the TCP/IP stack, too. If you ask for "help to write the driver", then you probably need to hire a programmer. If you have *specific* questions, ask post them to the newsgroups. -- Fernando Gont e-mail: fernando@ANTISPAM.gont.com.ar [To send a personal reply, please remove the ANTISPAM tag]
On 29 Jan 2004 04:50:40 -0800, Omid Ghayour wrote:

> I have a microcontroller and I want to make a connection with a lan > card (a pc on a lan) using TCP/IP. I think to use the lan card IC to > control the protocol, but I need to write a driver for it on my > hardware. Can anybody help me to write the driver. I am experinced > (almost) on 8051 microcontroller. > > Thanks, > Omid.
Rabbit makes an 8051 development board complete with 10 base-t ethernet and includes a TCPIP stack with source - I think. Check out Digikey
I have wondered about the same thing; or
minimum effort to add TCP/IP...

HAs anyone experience with Wiznet modules, like the
IIM7010A ???

http://www.wiznet.co.kr/e_iinchip/index_e.htm

Pygmi

ghayourn@yahoo.com (Omid Ghayour) wrote in message news:<e946a7ce.0401290450.3a7ffdaf@posting.google.com>...
> I have a microcontroller and I want to make a connection with a lan > card (a pc on a lan) using TCP/IP. I think to use the lan card IC to > control the protocol, but I need to write a driver for it on my > hardware. Can anybody help me to write the driver. I am experinced > (almost) on 8051 microcontroller.
Get the book "TCP/IP Lean, 2nd Ed", by Jeremy Bentham, CMP Books. Nice discussion of how to implement a really small TCP/IP stack. He doesn't provide an 8051 implementation, but his C code will work on a PIC.

You'll need a tcp-ip stack. You might consider using embedded Linux or uCLinux. You can also have a look at http://www.dunkels.com/adam/uip/ Dan
robertwessel2@yahoo.com (Robert Wessel) wrote in message news:<bea2590e.0401291436.91947ef@posting.google.com>...
> ghayourn@yahoo.com (Omid Ghayour) wrote in message news:<e946a7ce.0401290450.3a7ffdaf@posting.google.com>... > > I have a microcontroller and I want to make a connection with a lan > > card (a pc on a lan) using TCP/IP. I think to use the lan card IC to > > control the protocol, but I need to write a driver for it on my > > hardware. Can anybody help me to write the driver. I am experinced > > (almost) on 8051 microcontroller. > > > Get the book "TCP/IP Lean, 2nd Ed", by Jeremy Bentham, CMP Books. > Nice discussion of how to implement a really small TCP/IP stack. He > doesn't provide an 8051 implementation, but his C code will work on a > PIC.
The PICDEM.net demo board from Microchip and TCP/IP Lean go hand in hand. There is a also an Atmel solution that my former colleague did. If i had to implement it, i'd probably purchase a picdem.net board and try to reuse the code.
With the Atmel ATWEBSEG32 module you can connect your
8051 using the Serial port and do not have to know anything about TCP/IP.
The module has the Wiznet and an 8051.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

"Omid Ghayour" <ghayourn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a microcontroller and I want to make a connection with a lan > card (a pc on a lan) using TCP/IP. I think to use the lan card IC to > control the protocol, but I need to write a driver for it on my > hardware. Can anybody help me to write the driver. I am experinced > (almost) on 8051 microcontroller. > > Thanks, > Omid.
> You'll need a tcp-ip stack. You might consider using embedded Linux > or uCLinux.>
or eCos.
I found a one-chip solution that looks like an exact fit for what you want. Look at www.maxim-ic.com The DSC80C400 is an 8051-based microcontroller that has a MAC peripheral built in the chip. It also comes with the TINI TCP/IP stack in ROM. I don't know how to use it though, but for an 8bit chip, this is something i'm definitely going to be looking into now. -Mike