Does anyone know of any 8-bit processors that can handle
browser-compatible SSL reasonably quickly?

We have a 44MHz Rabbit 3000 doing initial authentication in 2-3
seconds and throughput of about 120K bit/s (with no Trusted Platform
Module). I'm just curious what else might be out there. - Thanks in
advance
These guys posted here a while back advertising a library for SSL that runs on 8-bitters: http://www.mocana.com/ssl.html They claim high portability so you might try their test drive and see how it works on your hardware / software. I asked them directly if they've tested with Dynamic C - they said their code works with everything, which might mean they've tested it or it might not. They might be able to give you some other 8 bit platforms that their code has been run on. Dallas has some 8051-based cores with additional crypto hardware. Xilinx has their picoBlaze 8-bitter with some additional crypto hardware on one FPGA. Ateml has AVRs and 6805s with additional crypto hardware. This doesn't mean someone has a network stack and SSL running on them, but they are places you might want to look.
> We have a 44MHz Rabbit 3000 doing initial authentication in 2-3 > seconds and throughput of about 120K bit/s (with no Trusted Platform > Module). I'm just curious what else might be out there. - Thanks in > advance
Unless you bother to specify the specific algorithms and key lengths you're timing with, your numbers are too vague to be useful. SSL3 supports a rather large crypto suite with algorithms for key exchange, stream cipher, and hash functions, most with configurable key lengths. Google found this: http://www.zeus.co.uk/library/technical/hp_bench.pdf Interesting that they didn't benchmark this against the usual SSL eCommerce accelerator products. The last non-crypto-accelerated numbers I remember hearing were back in '96 when I was an eCommerce guy: 0.5 sec for an SSL handshake on a Pentium 150. Assuming you're only 4-6 times slower than that, that's pretty impressive for the bunny! Kelly
"Kelly Hall" <hall@priest.com> wrote in message news:<sH4Sb.19195$p%3.13575@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>...
> "Brian Murtha" <bmurtha@zworld.com> wrote in message > news:c29d7dc6.0401281736.7f0a99e2@posting.google.com... > > Does anyone know of any 8-bit processors that can handle > > browser-compatible SSL reasonably quickly? > > These guys posted here a while back advertising a library for SSL that runs > on 8-bitters: http://www.mocana.com/ssl.html They claim high portability so > you might try their test drive and see how it works on your hardware / > software. I asked them directly if they've tested with Dynamic C - they > said their code works with everything, which might mean they've tested it or > it might not. They might be able to give you some other 8 bit platforms > that their code has been run on.
The hardware is more critical for speed. The Rabbit 3000A has some new instructions that speed up encryption/decryption considerably. Mocana would be an option for Softools users with some recoding.
> Dallas has some 8051-based cores with additional crypto hardware. > Xilinx has their picoBlaze 8-bitter with some additional crypto hardware on > one FPGA. > Ateml has AVRs and 6805s with additional crypto hardware. > This doesn't mean someone has a network stack and SSL running on them, but > they are places you might want to look.
Thanks. I'll check them out. I'm curious if they use TPMs.
> > We have a 44MHz Rabbit 3000 doing initial authentication in 2-3 > > seconds and throughput of about 120K bit/s (with no Trusted Platform > > Module). I'm just curious what else might be out there. - Thanks in > > advance > > Unless you bother to specify the specific algorithms and key lengths you're > timing with, your numbers are too vague to be useful. SSL3 supports a rather > large crypto suite with algorithms for key exchange, stream cipher, and hash > functions, most with configurable key lengths.
We implented SSL3 and TLS1 with the following, for out-of-the box compatibility with all major browsers: Secure message digest hashing routines for TLS RSA public-key encryption routines (includes PKCS encoding) Multi-precision arithmetic for RSA RC4 symmetric bulk cipher routines SHA-1 message digest implementation MD5 message digest implementation No DES yet.
> Google found this: http://www.zeus.co.uk/library/technical/hp_bench.pdf > Interesting that they didn't benchmark this against the usual SSL eCommerce > accelerator products. > > The last non-crypto-accelerated numbers I remember hearing were back in '96 > when I was an eCommerce guy: 0.5 sec for an SSL handshake on a Pentium 150. > Assuming you're only 4-6 times slower than that, that's pretty impressive > for the bunny!
We're pretty pleased with it. We're trying to figure out pricing now.
take a look at matrixssl.org

Vadim

"Brian Murtha" <bmurtha@zworld.com> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message de
> [...]
runs
> > on 8-bitters: http://www.mocana.com/ssl.html They claim high
portability so
> > you might try their test drive and see how it works on your hardware / > > software. I asked them directly if they've tested with Dynamic C - they > > said their code works with everything, which might mean they've tested
it or
> > it might not. They might be able to give you some other 8 bit platforms > > that their code has been run on. > > The hardware is more critical for speed. The Rabbit 3000A has some new > instructions that speed up encryption/decryption considerably. Mocana > would be an option for Softools users with some recoding. > > > Dallas has some 8051-based cores with additional crypto hardware. > > Xilinx has their picoBlaze 8-bitter with some additional crypto hardware
on
> > one FPGA. > > Ateml has AVRs and 6805s with additional crypto hardware. > > This doesn't mean someone has a network stack and SSL running on them,
but
> > they are places you might want to look. > > Thanks. I'll check them out. I'm curious if they use TPMs. > > > > We have a 44MHz Rabbit 3000 doing initial authentication in 2-3 > > > seconds and throughput of about 120K bit/s (with no Trusted Platform > > > Module). I'm just curious what else might be out there. - Thanks in > > > advance > > > > Unless you bother to specify the specific algorithms and key lengths
you're
> > timing with, your numbers are too vague to be useful. SSL3 supports a
rather
> > large crypto suite with algorithms for key exchange, stream cipher, and
hash
> > functions, most with configurable key lengths. > > We implented SSL3 and TLS1 with the following, for out-of-the box > compatibility with all major browsers: > > Secure message digest hashing routines for TLS > RSA public-key encryption routines (includes PKCS encoding) > Multi-precision arithmetic for RSA > RC4 symmetric bulk cipher routines > SHA-1 message digest implementation > MD5 message digest implementation > > No DES yet. > > > Google found this: http://www.zeus.co.uk/library/technical/hp_bench.pdf > > Interesting that they didn't benchmark this against the usual SSL
eCommerce
> > accelerator products. > > > > The last non-crypto-accelerated numbers I remember hearing were back in
'96
> > when I was an eCommerce guy: 0.5 sec for an SSL handshake on a Pentium
150.
> > Assuming you're only 4-6 times slower than that, that's pretty
impressive
> > for the bunny! > > We're pretty pleased with it. We're trying to figure out pricing now. > > > Kelly

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference