Newbie: Atmel T89c51RD2 and AT89... interchangeable?

Started by andrew queisser January 8, 2004
I've got a starter kit with a DIP 40 pin Atmel MC.
The part just says 89C51RD2-IM on it. Can I use
the newer AT89C51 versions as well? The software
seems to support it but I'm wondering if the pinout,
voltage levels, etc. are the same.

Thanks,
Andrew Queisser

I did a Google and found this.  Ain't Google grand.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc4239.pdf

Jay

--
.
"I'm pullin' for you; we're all in this together", Red Green
andrew queisser wrote:

> I've got a starter kit with a DIP 40 pin Atmel MC. > The part just says 89C51RD2-IM on it. Can I use > the newer AT89C51 versions as well? The software > seems to support it but I'm wondering if the pinout, > voltage levels, etc. are the same. > > Thanks, > Andrew Queisser
pinout is the same, just watch for different functions, i.e. timers, registers, a/d, d/a etc, check power ranges and osc freq. rw
If you weren't so lazy you would go to manufacturer site and download
the datasheets and compare them.

"Rein Wiehler" <rwiehler@netscape.net> wrote in message
> andrew queisser wrote: > > > I've got a starter kit with a DIP 40 pin Atmel MC. > > The part just says 89C51RD2-IM on it. Can I use > > the newer AT89C51 versions as well? The software > > seems to support it but I'm wondering if the pinout, > > voltage levels, etc. are the same. > > > > Thanks, > > Andrew Queisser > > pinout is the same, just watch for different functions, i.e. timers, > registers, a/d, d/a etc, check power ranges and osc freq. > rw
In article
<7GBLb.51605$AAe1.30709@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, Rein
Wiehler <rwiehler@netscape.net> writes
>andrew queisser wrote: > >> I've got a starter kit with a DIP 40 pin Atmel MC. >> The part just says 89C51RD2-IM on it. Can I use >> the newer AT89C51 versions as well? The software >> seems to support it but I'm wondering if the pinout, >> voltage levels, etc. are the same. >> >> Thanks, >> Andrew Queisser > > pinout is the same, just watch for different functions, i.e. timers, >registers, a/d, d/a etc, check power ranges and osc freq. >rw
T89C51RD2 is the same as AT89C51ED2 *EXCEPT* the eeprom write procedure is different and the bootloader is in ROM, you have to map it in using the ENBOOT bit. Also the bootloader occupies more memory map than in the T..RD2 -- Tim Mitchell
In article <bttfcr$v3k$1@ls219.htnet.hr>, MArk <marky@mark.com> writes
>If you weren't so lazy you would go to manufacturer site and download >the datasheets and compare them.
well, it would be handy if you could but some of the differences are not clearly documented. -- Tim Mitchell
When was the last time he ran diff on two .PDF files? -- Chuck F (cbfalconer@yahoo.com) (cbfalconer@worldnet.att.net) Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems. <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!

Tim Mitchell wrote:
> In article <bttfcr$v3k$1@ls219.htnet.hr>, MArk <marky@mark.com> writes > >> If you weren't so lazy you would go to manufacturer site and download >> the datasheets and compare them. > > well, it would be handy if you could but some of the differences are not > clearly documented.
Or, you could go to the Atmel web, under Products / 8051 Architecture / App Notes And find the one called Migration from T89C51RD2 to AT89C51RD2/ED2 (16 pages, updated 6/03) URL is http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc4239.pdf -jg

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference