Memfault State of IoT Report

Using C to program the 8051 family

Started by Aliasger January 1, 2004
On 02 Jan 2004 18:59:19 GMT, CBarn24050 wrote:

> Hi Bob, can you actually justify that remark? Got any actual numbers from real > applications?
0Xfffe 3.1415926 0xAAAA >> 1 to name a few. Bob
cbarn24050@aol.com (CBarn24050) wrote in

> Hi, I did once try with the 2500 compiler but it was hopeless, once I > went back to assembler it all worked out fine.
There's your problem. Keil or Amrai in the last 5 years are wonderful to use. I use assy. only when instruction level determinancy is required (rare). -- - Mark -> --
On 2 Jan 2004 19:36:50 GMT, Mark A. Odell wrote:

> cbarn24050@aol.com (CBarn24050) wrote in > news:20040102134850.26263.00002221@mb-m06.aol.com: > >> Hi, I did once try with the 2500 compiler but it was hopeless, once I >> went back to assembler it all worked out fine. > > There's your problem. Keil or Amrai in the last 5 years are wonderful to > use. I use assy. only when instruction level determinancy is required > (rare).
And, since all of the decent compilers support inline assembly ...
Bob Stephens <stephensdigital@earthlink.net> wrote in

>>> Hi, I did once try with the 2500 compiler but it was hopeless, once I >>> went back to assembler it all worked out fine. >> >> There's your problem. Keil or Amrai in the last 5 years are wonderful >> to use. I use assy. only when instruction level determinancy is >> required (rare). > > And, since all of the decent compilers support inline assembly ...
Well actually, Keil C51 is a bit unfriendly in this regard do to the fact that it is difficult to keep the optimizer in the loop when you go off on your own (into assy). -- - Mark -> --
On 2 Jan 2004 20:12:43 GMT, Mark A. Odell wrote:

> Bob Stephens <stephensdigital@earthlink.net> wrote in > news:1ofrjos732ylo.5rzirx3t1bof$.dlg@40tude.net: > >>>> Hi, I did once try with the 2500 compiler but it was hopeless, once I >>>> went back to assembler it all worked out fine. >>> >>> There's your problem. Keil or Amrai in the last 5 years are wonderful >>> to use. I use assy. only when instruction level determinancy is >>> required (rare). >> >> And, since all of the decent compilers support inline assembly ... > > Well actually, Keil C51 is a bit unfriendly in this regard do to the fact > that it is difficult to keep the optimizer in the loop when you go off on > your own (into assy).
Uh Oh. I wish you hadn't told me that. I just bought the Keil tool suite. Can you elaborate a bit on the problem? Thanks, Bob
"CBarn24050" <cbarn24050@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I did once try with the 2500 compiler but it was hopeless, once I went
back
> to assembler it all worked out fine.
I haven't used the 2500AD C compiler for the 8051, but if it's anything like their 68hc11 C compiler, it's not worth using. The difference in generated code going from the 2500AD 68hc11 compiler to the Introl one was surprising. Try the Keil compiler, I don't see how you wouldn't like it. I used it in a product where an 8051 core was in an ASIC, and I wrote an interpeter in C for it which controlled the OSD. Commands were received from an external MCU. Here's a bit of info on it: http://www.genesis-microchip.com/products/gm5020.phtml Mark

>> Well actually, Keil C51 is a bit unfriendly in this regard do to the >> fact that it is difficult to keep the optimizer in the loop when you go >> off on your own (into assy). > > Uh Oh. I wish you hadn't told me that. I just bought the Keil tool > suite. Can you elaborate a bit on the problem?
See this: http://www.keil.com/support/docs/146.htm -- - Mark -> --
so thats a no then is it?
Well Mark when I got it it was supposed to be state of the art I imagine in
another 5 years you'll be saying the same thing about the current Kiel package.
For the sort of things I do I can't see me going back to the 8051.

Bob Stephens wrote:
> On 02 Jan 2004 18:59:19 GMT, CBarn24050 wrote: > > >>Hi Bob, can you actually justify that remark? Got any actual numbers from real >>applications? > > > 0Xfffe > 3.1415926 > 0xAAAA >> 1 > > to name a few. > > Bob
:) ROTFL

Memfault State of IoT Report