Newbie assistance for Atmel at89c2051 project

Started by Davon Shire December 30, 2003
Greetings everyone,
   I have a specific application I want to put a atmel processor to. The
processor would be along the lines of a AT89C2051-24, ideally something
I can program easily say using their ISP system.
   I have a proto board design I found on the net for said mcu and it
pretty well fits what I need for this. However. Since I have NO
experience in programming one of these things. I was curious if there is
a simulator that you'd recommend I could use to learn how to use this
beast before I launch into building the real thing and realize I can't
make it work.
   I do have windows machines, but I prefer using my Freebsd boxes. Any
answer right now will be helpful on this. I'm doing this project for a
non-profit organization and I have zero budget save what I'm throwing in
which isn't much.
   A general idea of what I'm going to do with this. Is use it to
translate a 3x4 matrix keypad output into a serial ascii equiv. So a
computer can check the info in a database and respond with a command to
start a motor to open a garage door. The mcu will also determin if the
door is open or closed.
   That's the general idea of what I'm doing with this. Any and all
assistance is greatly appreciated.

Davon

--
---
  I came.. I saw.. And I wondered. what am I doing here!

(To reply via email please remove the _x from my email address.)

Davon Shire schrieb:

> I have a specific application I want to put a atmel processor to. The > processor would be along the lines of a AT89C2051-24, ideally something > I can program easily say using their ISP system.
The 2051 does not support ISP. If you need a small ISP capable 8051 compatibe controller, look at the Philips LPC9xx series (especially LPC921/922 in your case). They also have the needed software for ISP download. For tutorials about programming etc, look at http://www.8052.com. -- Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Ma�. http://www.autometer.de ================================================================== In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates ? (Sun Microsystems)
Tilmann Reh wrote:
> Davon Shire schrieb: > > >> I have a specific application I want to put a atmel processor to. The >>processor would be along the lines of a AT89C2051-24, ideally something >>I can program easily say using their ISP system. > > > The 2051 does not support ISP. > > If you need a small ISP capable 8051 compatibe controller, look at > the Philips LPC9xx series (especially LPC921/922 in your case). > They also have the needed software for ISP download. > > For tutorials about programming etc, look at http://www.8052.com. >
I know the 2051 doesn't have ISP. But thank you for the suggestion and link. I'll start digging into it. I'm not fixed on any particular mcu or such. I just want to spend a few dollars as I must to get this thing up and working. I'm stunned and amazed at the quick reply. Keep them coming and thank you all in advance. Davon -- --- I came.. I saw.. And I wondered. what am I doing here! (To reply via email please remove the _x from my email address.)
Tilmann Reh wrote:

> If you need a small ISP capable 8051 compatibe controller, look at > the Philips LPC9xx series (especially LPC921/922 in your case). > They also have the needed software for ISP download. > > For tutorials about programming etc, look at http://www.8052.com. >
Tilmann Reh, Wow this LPC922 looks great so far. I've been looking at the data sheet and it has something I had in the corner of my mind as a good thing but not totally necessary. A RTC. The 8052 site is a bit cluttered but I'm starting to get around about it. Thank you again for the information. Is there a good protoboard design out there for this chip? Davon -- --- I came.. I saw.. And I wondered. what am I doing here! (To reply via email please remove the _x from my email address.)
If you are in such a hurry, you might want to look at CYGNAL parts. NEWS FLASH <http://www.silabs.com/products/microcontroller/> Their development kit has hardware and software from $99 to $149. Check out the phriphals you need and select a kit. hamilton

No, forget them - absolutely oversized and far too expensive for this application. -- Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Ma&#4294967295;. http://www.autometer.de ================================================================== In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates ? (Sun Microsystems)
Davon Shire schrieb:

> Wow this LPC922 looks great so far. I've been looking at the data > sheet and it has something I had in the corner of my mind as a good > thing but not totally necessary. A RTC.
It *is* a really great chip. :-) And d*mn fast.
> The 8052 site is a bit cluttered but I'm starting to get around about > it. Thank you again for the information. Is there a good protoboard > design out there for this chip?
I don't know of one, but you could do the development using the LPC932 (the great brother) and later use the 922 instead (they are almost completely compatible). For the 932, there are some boards available. Look at http://www.lpc900.com. -- Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Ma&#4294967295;. http://www.autometer.de ================================================================== In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates ? (Sun Microsystems)
well for a few cheap dev / proto boards from US$29 - $70 (no lpc9xxx) 8051 http://www.futurlec.com/T89C51Training.shtml http://www.futurlec.com/T89C51DevBoard.shtml http://www.futurlec.com/P89C51DevBoard.shtml http://www.futurlec.com/P89C51Controller.shtml http://www.futurlec.com/AT89C52Controller.shtml http://www.futurlec.com/AT89S8252DevBoard.shtml http://www.futurlec.com/DS89C420Controller.shtml http://www.futurlec.com/DevBoardAccessories.shtml These guys can take a up to a few weeks to ship but are cheaper than most other places. (can put other manufacturers 8051's in these boards as long as they are pin compatable) If you order any of their boards order the extra chips(eeprom , rs422/485, rtc(real time clock) etc) at the same time. And any of the accessories - lcd. Also can run most of their boards faster(depending on micro) by replacing the crystal with a high speed. another cheap 8051 dev board for US$39 http://www.newmicros.com/cgi-bin/store/order.cgi?form=prod_detail&part=NMIY- 0031 http://tinyurl.com/2vrqq http://www.newmicros.com/cgi-bin/store/order.cgi?form=prod&cat=8051 http://www.batronix.com/ have a couple of 8051 boards http://www.phytec.com/sbc/sbc8.htm may find a few other links on Jan Axelson's page http://www.lvr.com/microc.htm http://www.lpc900.com/ Alex
Tilmann Reh wrote:
> Davon Shire schrieb: > > >> Wow this LPC922 looks great so far. I've been looking at the data >>sheet and it has something I had in the corner of my mind as a good >>thing but not totally necessary. A RTC. > > > It *is* a really great chip. :-) And d*mn fast. > > >> The 8052 site is a bit cluttered but I'm starting to get around about >>it. Thank you again for the information. Is there a good protoboard >>design out there for this chip? > > > I don't know of one, but you could do the development using the > LPC932 (the great brother) and later use the 922 instead (they > are almost completely compatible). > For the 932, there are some boards available. > > Look at http://www.lpc900.com. >
I ordered a 932 development board for $59.00+ tax/shipping It seems to handle pretty much what I'll need and since it's already assymbled I won't have to worry too much about getting all the parts. I'm excited, this is the first time I've done anything like this. I'm use to working mostly with servers and fixing TV's and stereos and stuff. Thanks very much for the points and suggestions. With luck by sometime next week I may be starting to talk to my first MCU. I've been looking at the simulators availible so I can test my code and all before I start talking to the board. Any suggestions? I've got SDCC running on one of my servers, though I haven't quite figured out how S51 works it is definitely going to take me some time to get comfortable with all this. Many thanks and happy new year. Davon -- --- I came.. I saw.. And I wondered. what am I doing here! (To reply via email please remove the _x from my email address.)
In article <UoBIb.114$T21.22782@news.uswest.net>, Davon Shire
<davon_x@shires.org> writes
>Tilmann Reh wrote: >> >I ordered a 932 development board for $59.00+ tax/shipping It seems to >handle pretty much what I'll need and since it's already assymbled I >won't have to worry too much about getting all the parts.
>I've got SDCC running on one of my servers, though I haven't quite >figured out how S51 works it is definitely going to take me some time to > get comfortable with all this.
DO NOT use the SDCC compiler. the LPC kit should come with a Keil compiler. Although this has a 4K limit on it you will probably be able to compiler far more code than with the SDC compiler. The Keil is extremely good at optimising ad data overlaying. The SDC isn't Regards Chris /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference