generic microprocessor interface?

Started by Unknown February 9, 2005
I am told to design a generic microprocessor interface for a ASIC chip.
 Since I am not familiar with what types/modes of microprocessor are
most popular, I don't  know how generic I can reach.

I am aware of there are synchronous/asychronous modes, separate or mux
address/data modes.  But I notice there are so many different families
and series.  Would somebody point me some typical families of
Microprocessor or even its datasheet?

Thanks,

yingchunh@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am told to design a generic microprocessor interface for a ASIC chip. > Since I am not familiar with what types/modes of microprocessor are > most popular, I don't know how generic I can reach. > > I am aware of there are synchronous/asychronous modes, separate or mux > address/data modes. But I notice there are so many different families > and series. Would somebody point me some typical families of > Microprocessor or even its datasheet? > > Thanks, >
Most embedded processors will interface to peripherals that look like old-style asynchronous generic RAM like the 6164 or 6264 (I'm dating myself here). Chip select, active low. Read, active low. Write, active low. Separate address and data buses -- as many bits as you need. Write to the chip happens on the trailing (positive) edge of the write pulse or the CS pulse, whichever goes away first. Read from the chip happens for as long as read and CS are low. Anything more specific should be preceded by a thorough survey of the microprocessors you intend to interface to. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com
<yingchunh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am told to design a generic microprocessor interface for a ASIC chip. > Since I am not familiar with what types/modes of microprocessor are > most popular, I don't know how generic I can reach. > > I am aware of there are synchronous/asychronous modes, separate or mux > address/data modes. But I notice there are so many different families > and series. Would somebody point me some typical families of > Microprocessor or even its datasheet?
How fast? Most microprocessors and microcontrollers have an SPI interface. Where I used to work we used SPI to interface to our ASIC, and an FPGA. Leon
<yingchunh@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I am told to design a generic microprocessor interface for a ASIC chip. > Since I am not familiar with what types/modes of microprocessor are > most popular, I don't know how generic I can reach. > > I am aware of there are synchronous/asychronous modes, separate or mux > address/data modes. But I notice there are so many different families > and series. Would somebody point me some typical families of > Microprocessor or even its datasheet? >
I think you need to decide on the width of the bus. Is it 8 bit, 16 bit and/or 32 bit. Address Data Chip Select For 8 bit data /RD Read Strobe /WR Write strobe For 16 bit buses, you have typically have two options 1) Byte Lane Enables /RD /WR /BHE Byte High Enable /BLE Byte Low Enable The latter two determine if the upper and/or lower byte is affected by the access. 2) Word Read/Byte Write /RD Read /WRH Write High Byte Lane /WRL Write Low Byte Lane For 32 bit buses, the byte lane method is most common. Sometime you want to add waitstates, and the wait signal needs to be either active low or active high. The MC68000 is a pretty strange beast, but it is more or less obsolete. Maybe the Coldfire has the same, never checked.
yingchunh@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am told to design a generic microprocessor interface for a ASIC chip. > Since I am not familiar with what types/modes of microprocessor are > most popular, I don't know how generic I can reach.
For a class?
> I am aware of there are synchronous/asychronous modes, separate or mux > address/data modes. But I notice there are so many different families > and series. Would somebody point me some typical families of > Microprocessor or even its datasheet?
If it's for a class, ask your instructor. If it's for a job, run away quick.
On 2005-02-09, Jim Stewart <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote:
> >> I am told to design a generic microprocessor interface for a >> ASIC chip. Since I am not familiar with what types/modes of >> microprocessor are most popular, I don't know how generic I >> can reach. > > For a class? > >> I am aware of there are synchronous/asychronous modes, separate or mux >> address/data modes. But I notice there are so many different families >> and series. Would somebody point me some typical families of >> Microprocessor or even its datasheet? > > If it's for a class, ask your instructor. > > If it's for a job, run away quick.
Or at least start looking for a job where you can work for somebody with a clue. -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! UH-OH!! We're out at of AUTOMOBILE PARTS and visi.com RUBBER GOODS!