er..Anyone have an OS for 8051/89c51/52 etc?

Started by funkymunky December 27, 2004
Hi,

Im new to this area (embedded systems), ive started with the 8051
uC..right now im trying out new things everyday with it to learn.

Does anyone know where i can find a free OS i can cram into the 89c51?
Id be much obliged.

And if anyone knows more about intersting stuff to do with this uC,
like loading OSs onto it(il figure out why after i do it :-S), plz
enlighten me.

Thanx in anticipation

Mayank

http://www.ucos-ii.com/contents/products/ucos-ii/ports.html Since you are new to embedded systems you should first ask yourself if the application is big enough for an OS, or if you should do it in a task loop. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com

I think you need to figure this out FIRST. Anyway, lots of stuff about the 8021 at www.8052.com Ian Ian Bell
http://www.FreeRTOS.org has an 8051 port.
"funkymunky" <prehistorictoad2k@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > Im new to this area (embedded systems), ive started with the 8051 > uC..right now im trying out new things everyday with it to learn. > > Does anyone know where i can find a free OS i can cram into the 89c51? > Id be much obliged. > > And if anyone knows more about intersting stuff to do with this uC, > like loading OSs onto it(il figure out why after i do it :-S), plz > enlighten me. > > Thanx in anticipation > > Mayank >
DCX51 Google search found this interesting site: http://margo.student.utwente.nl/el/micros/80xx/ and this http://www.hoeben.com/ Rufus
Tim Wescott said
> funkymunky wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > Im new to this area (embedded systems), ive started with the 8051 > > uC..right now im trying out new things everyday with it to learn. > > > > Does anyone know where i can find a free OS i can cram into the 89c51? > > Id be much obliged. > > http://www.ucos-ii.com/contents/products/ucos-ii/ports.html > > Since you are new to embedded systems you should first ask yourself if > the application is big enough for an OS, or if you should do it in a > task loop.
Exactly. I wrote the code for about 10 different 8051-based telecom products and I never had any need for an OS. You can do a *lot* without one. I'm not at all against OS's - I just used one in a Coldfire-based product because I needed one. Casey
Casey wrote:
> Tim Wescott said > >>funkymunky wrote: >> >> >>>Hi, >>> >>>Im new to this area (embedded systems), ive started with the 8051 >>>uC..right now im trying out new things everyday with it to learn. >>> >>>Does anyone know where i can find a free OS i can cram into the 89c51? >>>Id be much obliged. >> >>http://www.ucos-ii.com/contents/products/ucos-ii/ports.html >> >>Since you are new to embedded systems you should first ask yourself if >>the application is big enough for an OS, or if you should do it in a >>task loop. > > > Exactly. I wrote the code for about 10 different 8051-based telecom > products and I never had any need for an OS. You can do a *lot* > without one. > > I'm not at all against OS's - I just used one in a Coldfire-based > product because I needed one. > > > Casey
The cost/benefit tradeoff goes something like this: With an OS you pay a big price in effort (and possibly fees) to get the framework up, then each job that needs to be done can be put in a task with a relatively small effort -- AND -- you don't have to worry nearly as much about interaction (until you use up that last clock cycle and your world falls apart). With no OS you pay a small price in effort to get the framework (if any) up, then each job that needs to be done has to be referenced in the main body of code for a medium amount of effort, with lots of interaction between parts (but the interaction is easy to see). So if you're doing a small application you shouldn't use an OS unless it somehow comes for free (i.e. you've got a nearly identical board to one that has a running OS on it, and you don't have to pay fees). If you're doing a really large application then you should use an OS practically no matter what (i.e. anything that's not life critical like a jetliner fly-by-wire system). -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com

funkymunky wrote:

> Hi, > > Im new to this area (embedded systems), ive started with the 8051 > uC..right now im trying out new things everyday with it to learn. > > Does anyone know where i can find a free OS i can cram into the 89c51? > Id be much obliged. > > And if anyone knows more about intersting stuff to do with this uC, > like loading OSs onto it(il figure out why after i do it :-S), plz > enlighten me. > > Thanx in anticipation > > Mayank
There is Micro Cos OS/II
Thanx for your responses..im enlightened already!