8051 floating pt routines

Started by Unknown February 22, 2005
RTL - Resistor Transistor Logic, what's it's other meaning? -- Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@comcast.net http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only) http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II) http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
On 2005-02-24, Neil Cherry <njc@wolfgang.uucp> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:08:50 GMT, Nicholas O. Lindan wrote: >> "CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote >> >>> Once you have decided on decimal you might as well pick a better >>> encoding. Excess 3 [1] has many advantages. > >> That takes me back to university. When BCD calculations were done >> with 2-input nand/nor's. And 'RTL' meant something completely >> different. > > RTL - Resistor Transistor Logic, what's it's other meaning?
TV network in Europe? -- Grant Edwards grante Yow! Now my EMOTIONAL at RESOURCES are heavily visi.com committed to 23
Neil Cherry wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:08:50 GMT, Nicholas O. Lindan wrote: > >>"CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote >> >> >>>Once you have decided on decimal you might as well pick a better >>>encoding. Excess 3 [1] has many advantages. > > >>That takes me back to university. When BCD calculations were done >>with 2-input nand/nor's. And 'RTL' meant something completely >>different. > > > RTL - Resistor Transistor Logic, what's it's other meaning?
Register Transfer Language, as well as Run Time Library, and more niche, Raster Transfer Language...
"Neil Cherry" <njc@wolfgang.uucp> wrote
> Nicholas O. Lindan wrote: > > [When I was in university] 'RTL' meant something completely > > different. > RTL - Resistor Transistor Logic, what's it's other meaning?
Oh, I feel so much younger. RTL is now 'Register - Transistor Level/Logic', as in silicon compilers - Verilog & Co.: part functional block, part device. Most used in boastful claims: VaporWare III compiles 10,000,000 RTL gates/minute; adding a function block (register) takes about the same compute power as adding a transistor (low level gate). -- Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio Consulting Engineer: Electronics; Informatics; Photonics. To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com psst.. want to buy an f-stop timer? nolindan.com/da/fstop/
"Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> wrote

> Register Transfer Language, as well as Run Time Library, and > more niche, Raster Transfer Language...
Egg on my face. Time to go back to suhl. -- Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio Consulting Engineer: Electronics; Informatics; Photonics. To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com psst.. want to buy an f-stop timer? nolindan.com/da/fstop/
Paul Keinanen <keinanen@sci.fi> writes:
> I understand that the IEEE is currently working on extending the > floating point specification to also include decimal floating numbers.
They did that many years ago. It was IEEE 854 radix-independent floating point. The current effort is to merge it into the next version of IEEE 754.
Hey got me too, I should have at least thought about run time library. I've always been more of a hardware person. Anyone for ECL? :-) -- Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@comcast.net http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only) http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II) http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
I thought that was all a part of VHDL (VHSIC Hardware Description Language). I just picked up a Cyclone-NIOS II kit for a little playing with. Also the new HCS_C (see HCS @ SourceForge below) has a large FPGA. Just a little more to learn every day. :-) -- Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@comcast.net http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only) http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II) http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
On 24 Feb 2005 17:18:45 -0800, Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com> wrote:

>Paul Keinanen <keinanen@sci.fi> writes: >> I understand that the IEEE is currently working on extending the >> floating point specification to also include decimal floating numbers. > >They did that many years ago. It was IEEE 854 radix-independent >floating point.
The IEEE-854 was a more or less abstract definition.
The current IEEE-754R is trying to make a concrete definition of the radix-10 of the abstract IEEE-854 document. Take a look at http://754r.ucbtest.org/ and from there, locate the current working document 754r.pdf (http://754r.ucbtest.org/drafts/754r.pdf) The decimal resolution is a huge mess with part of the most significant decimal digit intermixed with some exponent bits into the combination (G) field and the significand represented with a series of 10 bit densely packed decimal "declets" storing three decimal digits. Implementing all this with an 8 or 16 bit processor with reasonable performance is quit a challenge. Paul