Ways of programming a TMS470 (TI microcontroller with 256k flash)?

Started by Mayank Kaushik March 4, 2005
Hi everyone,

Im a senior undergrad. I obtained samples of the TMS470R1A256PZ from TI
to play around with. However, seems like the only way of programming
these things is thru a Jtag cable..which is way too expensive for me
(the cable + the sw costs quite a packet, right?).
Does anyone out here know of other ways of programming these things?

Regards

Mayank

"Mayank Kaushik" <prehistorictoad2k@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone, > > Im a senior undergrad. I obtained samples of the TMS470R1A256PZ from TI > to play around with. However, seems like the only way of programming > these things is thru a Jtag cable..which is way too expensive for me > (the cable + the sw costs quite a packet, right?). > Does anyone out here know of other ways of programming these things?
You should be able to use a simple JTAG interface that connects to the printer port, like the one I use with the Philips ARM chips. The PCB design is in the Files area of the LPC2000 Yahoo group. Leon -- Leon Heller, G1HSM http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller
Hi,

My membership request to this group is pending. But id also like to ask
you, what software would i use to send data from the host PC to the
target uC? Surely it would be specific to the controller?

> Hi, > > My membership request to this group is pending. But id also like to ask > you, what software would i use to send data from the host PC to the > target uC? Surely it would be specific to the controller?
I've just approved your membership (I'm the moderator). You want jtag.zip in the Files section. You can also buy something similar from Olimex if you don't want to make your own. You should be able to use any of the tools for the LPC2000, like CrossWorks from Rowley. All ARMs use the same protocols for JTAG loading and debugging. As my interface (and Olimex's) are compatible with the Macraigor Wiggler, you can use the free Macraigor OCD Commander utility for uploading code into the TMS470. Leon
Mayank Kaushik wrote:
> > My membership request to this group is pending. But id also like > to ask you, what software would i use to send data from the host > PC to the target uC? Surely it would be specific to the controller?
There is no such thing as a membership. This is an unmoderated newsgroup, and anyone can read and post. We just ask that they make a good faith attempt to be on-topic, avoid flaming and gross behaviour. Do not confuse google with a news server. Google simply archives the happenings in the world of usenet, and provides a broken (see sig below) interface to it. You are much better off getting your own news reader, such as Netscape, Mozilla, Thunderbird, Xnews, etc. Avoid Outlook Express, which is one of the worst (but still better than the Google interface). -- "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson
"CBFalconer" <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Mayank Kaushik wrote: >> >> My membership request to this group is pending. But id also like >> to ask you, what software would i use to send data from the host >> PC to the target uC? Surely it would be specific to the controller? > > There is no such thing as a membership. This is an unmoderated > newsgroup, and anyone can read and post. We just ask that they > make a good faith attempt to be on-topic, avoid flaming and gross > behaviour. > > Do not confuse google with a news server. Google simply archives > the happenings in the world of usenet, and provides a broken (see > sig below) interface to it. You are much better off getting your > own news reader, such as Netscape, Mozilla, Thunderbird, Xnews, > etc. Avoid Outlook Express, which is one of the worst (but still > better than the Google interface).
He meant the LPC2000 Yahoo group, not this newsgroup. 8-) Leon
Mr. Falconer, i sent you an email, did you get it? (hope u did)! The
subject was "Got your ID from comp.arch.embedded", hope u didnt think
it was spam!

Hi Leon,
Got those files, thanx.  The lpc seems to be more popular that the
atmel at91rm9200 im using, i cant even find protel libs for it :-( mayb
il get an lpc2000 to play with, if philips hands out samples :o)
Regards
Mayank

Hi, Leon

> Olimex's) are compatible with the Macraigor Wiggler, you can use the
free
> Macraigor OCD Commander utility for uploading code into the TMS470. > Leon
I havent tried anything yet, but the Macraigor site states this about the OCD Commander: "This debugger is not designed to be used to program flash devices connected to your target" Is there a workaround? The Flash programmer has a demo version but costs $$$500 8-Z Regards Mayank
CBFalconer wrote:
> ... > Do not confuse google with a news server. Google simply archives > the happenings in the world of usenet, and provides a broken (see > sig below) interface to it. ...
Do you think they will ever fix it?! I actually like the interface on the whole - although I preferred the pre-beta one - but they really need to start paying attention to feedback on it IMHO. There are other stupidities in it.