Soft VoIP

Started by Unknown December 21, 2004
----- Original Message -----
From: "RusH" <logistyka1@pf.pl>
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 10:40 AM
Subject: Re: Soft VoIP

[Cut]

> And it shows, you are thinking one big fat box doing all the work. > I'm thinking bunch of small rj45/rj11 dongles + one asterisk box > doing backend. Those dongles would be /dev/dsp extenders. Even G.711 > is not needed that badly. > You see fancy display + Wifi + VPN while I see "lets scrap that rj11 > circuit and build it inside the phone enclosure".
You did not specify technical details before. If you want Asteriks to do all signalling you could hook up an ordinary phone to the Asteriks PC (buy a compatible FXS card for the PC). But I guess this is not what you had in mind. You're are more thinking of a "dump" phone, that does minimal signalling and data processing, connected to an Ethernet. I think something like this can be done with an 8 bit micro and some clever programming (similar to an ISDN telephone). If you're done let us know how much resources you used in the end. - Rene
"Rene" <spam@see5.ch> wrote :

> You did not specify technical details before. If you want Asteriks > to do all signalling
exactly, no need for 32bit mips in every room of the building
> you could hook up an ordinary phone to the > Asteriks PC (buy a compatible FXS card for the PC).
Those cards are ~$50-100. Plus ethernet cables are everywhere, no need to drill the walls again.
> But I guess this is not what you had in mind. You're are more > thinking of a "dump" phone, that does minimal signalling and data > processing, connected to an Ethernet
exactly. Its beyond me that nobody has think of it before.
> I think something like this > can be done with an 8 bit micro and some clever programming > (similar to an ISDN telephone).
MCU $2-4 DAC $1-3 ethernet $2-3 (RTL8019) enclosure,sockets,pcb,trafo,powersupply - $10 ?
It sounds more and more interesting every minute i think about it. I'l try to convince few friend into this. Pozdrawiam. -- RusH // http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019 Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.
Ulf Samuelsson <ulf@nospamatmel.com> wrote:
> may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.
FYI I've done this for a consulting gig, ATMEGA64, SILabs SLIC and a realtek eth controller. 2:1,3:1 and 4:1 compression and decompression on the fly. mike
Grandstream uses a Texas Instruments Fix point DSP
and snom formerly a PowerPC but the snom 190 changed to Infineons Tricore