Mifare Smartcard Reader

Started by eoin dowling April 6, 2005
Hi,

Working on a collage project. Im trying to set up a contactless card
reader system (the existing cards are mifare). Looking for a module /
design not too expensive, that can be interfaced to a small
microprocessor.  Can anyone recommend anything?

Eoin
We have used modules supplied by Pro-Active - they are easy to interface (TTL level RS232 plus 5V power) and easy to use, there is a dev kit and PC software if you need it. Try out http://www.pro-active.fr Hope this helps Iain
Thanks Iain, I have been looking at a module that looks exactly the same, the commands look simple (http://www.elatec.cz/rfid/pdf/Mifare%20manual.pdf)). I was looking in to trying to build one from scratch but it would work out costing way more. Eoin
"eoin dowling" <dowlingeoin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > Working on a collage project. Im trying to set up a contactless card > reader system (the existing cards are mifare). Looking for a module / > design not too expensive, that can be interfaced to a small > microprocessor. Can anyone recommend anything? > > Eoin
Eoin, Depending upon the cost of the module you could also consider using the RC500 from Philips, single chip transceiver that can be connected to a micro on the bus or via SPI. The only constraint is that you need to write a 14443a protocol stack to communicate with the card and a correct antenna design. Its not overly difficult, and a RC500 in single quantities run about $9 USD (they are somewhat surplus due to everone using the RC632). I would think you would get extra credits for implementing the 14443a stack. Heath