recommendation for 8 port rs232 embedded micro

Started by Anchor June 4, 2005
We are looking for recommendations for an 8 port rs232 embedded micro.
The CPU processing requirement is minimal.

Any suggestions?

"Anchor" <anchorelectronics@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> We are looking for recommendations for an 8 port rs232 embedded micro. > The CPU processing requirement is minimal.
which baud rate ? Kasper
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 19:57:05 -0400, Anchor
<anchorelectronics@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>We are looking for recommendations for an 8 port rs232 embedded micro. >The CPU processing requirement is minimal. > >Any suggestions? >
What about the AVR FPSLC ? You can add extra UARTs using the on-chip FPGA. Regards Anton Erasmus
>We are looking for recommendations for an 8 port rs232 embedded micro. >The CPU processing requirement is minimal. > >Any suggestions? > > >
Do the need to be all operational simultaneously? Depending on the variety of Cypress PSoC you can have up to 4 UART simultaneously, but you can dynamically switch I/O pins so you increas that number to many more if they are not operating simultaneously. If you application does require that all operate simultaneously, if you ar working 1/2 duplex and you can arrange some kind of synchronization, it i possible to split the UARTs into transmitters and receivers and use the pi switching technique as well. Of course the RS232 will have to be external. This message was sent using the comp.arch.embedded web interface o www.EmbeddedRelated.com
"Anchor" <anchorelectronics@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> We are looking for recommendations for an 8 port rs232 embedded micro. > The CPU processing requirement is minimal.
I have an 8MHz AVR running 4 receiving software uarts and 2 transmitting software uarts. So take a 60MHz ARM thingy and you'll be fine for 8 channels. Meindert
On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 17:01:56 +0200, "Meindert Sprang"
<mhsprang@NOcustomSPAMware.nl> wrote:

>"Anchor" <anchorelectronics@sympatico.ca> wrote in message >news:pan.2005.06.04.23.57.05.904979@sympatico.ca... >> We are looking for recommendations for an 8 port rs232 embedded micro. >> The CPU processing requirement is minimal. > >I have an 8MHz AVR running 4 receiving software uarts and 2 transmitting >software uarts. So take a 60MHz ARM thingy and you'll be fine for 8 >channels.
Be careful with that assumption. AFAIK the AVR can actually toggle pins faster than the Philips LPC2XXX ARM MCU. (If that was the ARM you were referrring too). The speed at which a MCU can toggle an I/O pin has often absolutely nothing to do with the speed at which the same MCU can do other processing. Regards Anton Erasmus

"Anchor" <anchorelectronics@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> We are looking for recommendations for an 8 port rs232 embedded micro. > The CPU processing requirement is minimal.
I designed a multiport comms hub a few years ago which had a mid-range PIC interfaced to a number of '2313 AVRs used as UARTs via SPI. I had to use software SPI on the '2313s; nowadays I'd use the Tiny2313 which has hardware SPI. Leon
Have a look at the Cypress PSoC Microcontroller. I don't know how many UARTs
you can fit into the current devices - but hey're real
UARTs - not software ones .....

Richard.

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 11:48:33 +0200, Repzak wrote:

> > "Anchor" <anchorelectronics@sympatico.ca> wrote in message > news:pan.2005.06.04.23.57.05.904979@sympatico.ca... >> We are looking for recommendations for an 8 port rs232 embedded micro. >> The CPU processing requirement is minimal. > > which baud rate ? > > Kasper
4800 baud
"Anton Erasmus" <nobody@spam.prevent.net> wrote in message
> Be careful with that assumption. AFAIK the AVR can actually toggle > pins faster than the Philips LPC2XXX ARM MCU. (If that was the ARM you > were referrring too). The speed at which a MCU can toggle an I/O pin > has often absolutely nothing to do with the speed at which the same > MCU can do other processing.
But the code needed for th uart takes much much more time to execute. That will be the bottleneck IMO. Meindert

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference