Sch & Layout Free Program

Started by Eric June 6, 2005
In comp.arch.embedded Eric <ericjohnholland@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What is the best FREE Schematic & PCB Layout software available that > will run on Windoze XP? >
Have you considered TinyCAD and FreePCB? Both open source and free. -- Wing Wong.
I use the free version of Target downloaded from

http://www.pcbpool.com/ppus/service_downloads.html

Which does up to six layers and and has no pin limit or board size
limit.

Ken
www.claymore-electronic.co.uk

k.hopkins@btinternet.com wrote:
> I use the free version of Target downloaded from > > http://www.pcbpool.com/ppus/service_downloads.html > > Which does up to six layers and and has no pin limit or board size > limit.
And limits to only use pcbpool.com service...which is around same price excluding shipping/vat as here in europe including shipping/vat (o; rick
Thank you for all your suggestions. I think Eagle is going to be the
best choice for me, and it sounds like people have had good success
with it.

Eric

Define best. Other than that try Eagles at cadsoft.com. Works on all platforms, has a free version and an upgrade path. ian
"Eric" <ericjohnholland@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I've also looked at Eagle Layout at cadsoft.de, but the size limitation > of 100 x 80mm on the free version is a negative. It would work for my > current project.
Eagle is nice. I used it for a lot of homebrew stuff. There is a software called BAE, which is less limited and for only 49 Euro (AFAIK). But I did'nt use it, just heard good comments about it. Regards Falk
On 6 Jun 2005 13:26:56 -0700, Eric wrote:

>What is the best FREE Schematic & PCB Layout software available that >will run on Windoze XP? > >I've looked at PCB123.com and Expresspcb.com and they have pretty good >programs available. Unfortunately if I use either one I'm stuck getting >the prototypes through them. (Because they won't output Gerbers) > >I've also looked at Eagle Layout at cadsoft.de, but the size limitation >of 100 x 80mm on the free version is a negative. It would work for my >current project. > >I'm just curious at what other people's opinions are.
I'm quite happy with Eagle (also on Linux). Don't underestimate the value of a big component library and how important it is that you can create your own components easily. For non-profit, there's a non-free but cheap version of Eagle which will do full eurocard format (100x160). Eagle is also extensible my user programs, there is such an 'ULP' to export to spice for simulation by e.g. SwitchCadIII (I've never tried that though). Mat Nieuwenhoven