Minimum PIC18F4431/ICD2 arrangement

Started by 2Penny June 7, 2005
Gentlemen:

I've put together 68k embedded systems using my employer's ICE
equipment, but what is the minimum amount of electronics
necessary to setup the p18f4431 utilizing Microchip's
ICD2 equipment?  Once operating I'll explore PWM, LCDs,
A/D interfacing and all that on my own, but I'm
needing a push or hint at this moment.  Current
setup isn't quite enough.

Thanks in advance.

2Penny

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:19:19 GMT, 2Penny wrote:

>Gentlemen: > >I've put together 68k embedded systems using my employer's ICE >equipment, but what is the minimum amount of electronics >necessary to setup the p18f4431 utilizing Microchip's >ICD2 equipment? Once operating I'll explore PWM, LCDs, >A/D interfacing and all that on my own, but I'm >needing a push or hint at this moment. Current >setup isn't quite enough.
I don't know the 18F4431, but the 16F88 has PWM, uart, comparators, 10 bit a/d and is easy to interface to LCDs. A single cristal is all you need (not even that if timing isn't important, there's an internal rc clock as well). Mat Nieuwenhoven
Mr Nieuwenhoven:

Thank you for the input, but I was looking forward to using the
p18f4431.  I even bought a couple of the units so I could get
rolling ASAP.  Ultimately it has to do with driving a 3 phase
motor at various speeds and loads.  The p18f4431 is supposed
to be specifically tailored to this kind of application.

Again, thanks, but could you direct me to where I can find
this minimum hardware arrangement?  Would this location
include the p18f4431's linker and include files?

2Penny

Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:19:19 GMT, 2Penny wrote: > > >>Gentlemen: >> >>I've put together 68k embedded systems using my employer's ICE >>equipment, but what is the minimum amount of electronics >>necessary to setup the p18f4431 utilizing Microchip's >>ICD2 equipment? Once operating I'll explore PWM, LCDs, >>A/D interfacing and all that on my own, but I'm >>needing a push or hint at this moment. Current >>setup isn't quite enough. > > > I don't know the 18F4431, but the 16F88 has PWM, uart, comparators, 10 bit > a/d and is easy to interface to LCDs. A single cristal is all you need (not > even that if timing isn't important, there's an internal rc clock as well). > > Mat Nieuwenhoven > >
All of the relevant linker and include files are in MPLAB. MPASM, the macro
assembler that comes with MPLAB supports all current PIC parts, including
the PIC18F4431.  You've got all the tools you need for development.

Download from the Microchip web site, or check the CDROM that came with your
MPLAB ICD 2 to see what's supported with that version.  The latest version
of MPLAB is v7.11. (The current Microchip web site is undergoing some
construction so may not be available until tomorrow).

dj