Hard to clone Micros.

Started by Guy Macon June 10, 2005
> ..and, of course, the attacker can buy ten or a hundred of the > devices and test them in parallel.
If every one has a different key ? Anyway: if he has taken one secure module out of an ATM he has only one module. MfG JRD
"Rafael Deliano" <Rafael_Deliano@t-online.de> wrote in message
> >> Its not very clear how long ( typical & worst case ) > > Read the paper more carefully. ... About 7.5 days > > worst case (say half that on average). > And on which page of the report is that number ? > > MfG JRD
Sorry, the first number two numbers 2500 attempts and 300 attempts per second are from the paper, the numbers after "say" and "might" are my conservative (as the author says the process speeds up, though I can't quite see how) extrapolations. Cheers, Alf.
Kuhn "Cipher Instruction Search Attack on the Bus-Encryption Security Microcontroller DS5002FP" IEEE Trans. Comp. Oct 1998 http://www3.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/Publications/Articles/kuhn_ToC.pdf "After only a few hours preparation the author was able to extract the protected software from a DS5002FP Rev A based demonstration system that Peter Drescher from the German Information Security Agency (BSI) built as a challenge in July 1996" Seems it actually worked. MfG JRD

Hello, here are some more publications in English: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/publications.html May be you will find the information here: * Markus G. Kuhn: Cipher Instruction Search Attack on the Bus-Encryption Security Microcontroller DS5002FP. IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 47, No. 10, October 1998, pp. 1153-1157, ISSN 0018-9340. # Ross J. Anderson, Markus G. Kuhn: Tamper Resistance -- a Cautionary Note, The Second USENIX Workshop on Electronic Commerce Proceedings, Oakland, California, November 18-21, 1996, pp. 1-11, ISBN 1-880446-83-9. # Ross J. Anderson, Markus G. Kuhn: Low Cost Attacks on Tamper Resistant Devices, in M. Lomas et al. (ed.): Security Protocols, 5th International Workshop, Paris, France, April 7-9, 1997, Proceedings, LNCS 1361, Springer-Verlag, pp. 125-136, ISBN 3-540-64040-1. Bye
> > ..and, of course, the attacker can buy ten or a hundred of the > > devices and test them in parallel. > If every one has a different key ?
I think you're right, parallel testing is unlikely to work.
> > Anyway: if he has taken one secure module out of an ATM he has > only one module.
Or, in the context of my original question, he has the capability to clone ATMs and sell as many ATMs as he wants in markets that are not as particular about copyrights as yous and mine. Cheers, Alf.