What's inside a USB flash drive?

Started by Unknown June 15, 2005
Has anyone opened up a commodity USB flash drive?

Obviously there is a customized USB-capable microcontroller in there.
What I'm wondering is if there is a seperate flash memory chip with a
standard interface that could be scavenged for use in projects (since
implementing the _host_ side of USB in a micro is sadly unrealistic at
present).

Yes, it's easy to talk to compact flash and similar cards and the
prices aren't that different.  But curiousity is a factor.

On 14 Jun 2005 20:01:57 -0700, the renowned cs_posting@hotmail.com
wrote:

>Has anyone opened up a commodity USB flash drive? > >Obviously there is a customized USB-capable microcontroller in there. >What I'm wondering is if there is a seperate flash memory chip with a >standard interface that could be scavenged for use in projects (since >implementing the _host_ side of USB in a micro is sadly unrealistic at >present). > >Yes, it's easy to talk to compact flash and similar cards and the >prices aren't that different. But curiousity is a factor.
I have not opened one up (don't even own one at the moment) but here's a chip I ran across earlier today: http://www.sigmatel.com/products/stbd2010pb.htm I suspect this is typical- an ASIC with just about everything but memory, plus standard flash memory plus a few other parts. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
I think some of them use Atmel DataFlash like at64DBxxxx type chips.

Ken
www.claymore-electronic.co.uk

On 14 Jun 2005 20:01:57 -0700, <cs_posting@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What I'm wondering is if there is a seperate flash memory chip with a > standard interface that could be scavenged for use in projects (since > implementing the _host_ side of USB in a micro is sadly unrealistic at > present).
Yes, NAND flash is used there. Vadim
On 14 Jun 2005 20:01:57 -0700, cs_posting@hotmail.com wrote:

>Has anyone opened up a commodity USB flash drive? > >Obviously there is a customized USB-capable microcontroller in there. >What I'm wondering is if there is a seperate flash memory chip with a >standard interface that could be scavenged for use in projects (since >implementing the _host_ side of USB in a micro is sadly unrealistic at >present). > >Yes, it's easy to talk to compact flash and similar cards and the >prices aren't that different. But curiousity is a factor.
The USB Flash devices I have opened had at least 2 chips. One the controller which connect directly to the USB connector, and the others standard TSSOP flash devices. I suspect that the controller chip might have some sort of configuration which adapts it for the specific flash devices used. Regards Anton Erasmus
Plenty of detail here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Flash_drive