8051 C Compiler Recommendation

Started by Arthur Richards June 15, 2005
I'm finally moving up from assembler. Which compiler do you vote for? I can
probably get away with the Raisonance Lite version but should I shell out
the $'s & go for Keil or something else?

Take a look here....I use they're compilers for 8051 and pic almost
daily....I also sell them, so I'm only a little biased :->.  They do have
demo's on their site.  You can try them out and see how it works for you.

www.htsoft.com

Regards,

Scott

Copeland Electronics, Inc.
www.copelandelectronics.com
"Arthur Richards" <fake@address.com.au> wrote in message
> I'm finally moving up from assembler. Which compiler do you vote for? I
can
> probably get away with the Raisonance Lite version but should I shell out > the $'s & go for Keil or something else?
I've used the Raisonance Lite 51 toolchain for some years, after using a very old Keil/Frankling copy. It produces good compact code as far as I can tell. Support os also good. Meindert

Arthur Richards wrote:

> I'm finally moving up from assembler. Which compiler do you vote for? I can > probably get away with the Raisonance Lite version but should I shell out > the $'s & go for Keil or something else?
Keil is very good but a little $$$$ for a hobbyist. they have a 2K limited eval version for free if you want to poke at it.
"Arthur Richards" <fake@address.com.au> a &#4294967295;crit dans le message de
> I'm finally moving up from assembler. Which compiler do you vote for? I
can
> probably get away with the Raisonance Lite version but should I shell out > the $'s & go for Keil or something else? > >
look at this one : http://www.wickenhaeuser.com/
Try this, I haven't, but it might be worth it for hobbyist.
http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/

Regards
Sukrit

"Arthur Richards" <fake@address.com.au> wrote in message
> I'm finally moving up from assembler. Which compiler do you vote for? I
can
> probably get away with the Raisonance Lite version but should I shell out > the $'s & go for Keil or something else? > >
I would vote for Keil... regards Dejan
Arthur,

Keil is the absolute market leader for a reason!  You can by a MCB900
board from Keil, that comes with a 4k version.
If you are targetting code size >8k I would recommend the full version
of Keil's compiler

An Schwob

Arthur Richards wrote:
> I'm finally moving up from assembler. Which compiler do you vote for? I can > probably get away with the Raisonance Lite version but should I shell out > the $'s & go for Keil or something else?
As you must know the 8051 is a great processor for assembly programs but it's not so good for C. You can expect a tripleing, or even more, size of rom space, at least doubleng of ram space and a reduction in speed of 3to 10 times. You havent indicated what kind of things you are writing so that may not be a problem for you. It's time to upgrade your processor as well as moving to C, AVR and PIC18 series spring to mind, I recently saw the new Zilog Z8 development system (hardware plus compiler) on offer for $15 so I would look there first. If your applications need high speed number crunching you should consider a 16 bit processor there are good deals on those as well.
"Arthur Richards" <fake@address.com.au> wrote in

> I'm finally moving up from assembler. Which compiler do you vote for? > I can probably get away with the Raisonance Lite version but should I > shell out the $'s & go for Keil or something else? >
Keil does offer an eval version but it is quite limited. I use Keil at work, and have been very happy with it. It produces very compact code, and was quite easy to get up to speed on. It has some extensions to C to support the 8051s specifically. It is pricey, and if you are doing this as a hobbyist, I would recommend finding something significantly cheaper. -- Richard

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference