MISRA new rule suggestion

Started by Rob June 20, 2005
"Mike Harrison" <mike@whitewing.co.uk> wrote in message
news:rnedb1d97cg01ab2g5g4mbn0d8tb5f9asq@4ax.com...
> On 20 Jun 2005 05:29:08 -0700, ian_okey@hotmail.com wrote: > > > > > > >David Tweed wrote: > >> Rob wrote: > >> > (1) __loop. Well, how are you supposed to drop that into polite > >> > conversation? > >> > >> "under-under-loop" > >> > >> > (2) time_left so how could you tell it apart from TimeLeft? > >> > >> "time-under-left" > >> > >> -- Dave Tweed > > > >Following Mr pre-decremented Tweed's suggestion, I am going to have to > >start using the following > > > >_Milkwood > > >_score > ..well as _ is often called an "Underscore", that one could causeeven
more confusion....

And probably a little mis_standing.
In article <uy8933xdy.fsf@news.dtpq.com>,
Christopher C. Stacy <cstacy@news.dtpq.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> >The programming language that I usually work in (Lisp) uses a >different set of conventions. First of all, case doesn't matter. >If you say "UNDER" or "under" it means the same thing, so we >don't bother with run-together words and worrying about the case. > >And although you could use underscore, nobody does, because we >can use dash ("-"), which reads more naturally. I make this >claim, because nobody is ever instructed not to use underscore. >They know that they could, and many of the older programmers >came from languages (like PL/I) where that's you always did. >And yet nobody --- in particular, no newbies -- ever even >suggest using underscores. I think the only reason this is >not done in other languages is the infix subtraction problem.
Well, in Forth we use the dash convention often too. I have defined the word _ as "push a don't care value to the stack". Its prononciation is "don't care". Forth uses any number of weird character combinations, but the prononciation is known: */mod "star-slash-mod" +! "plus-store" $^ "string-index" Not only the founder, Chuck Moore, insists that words are pronouncable, he prefers them to form sentences. Further most Forth's are case-insensitive, although I don't really like that.
Groetjes Albert. -- -- Albert van der Horst,Oranjestr 8,3511 RA UTRECHT,THE NETHERLANDS Economic growth -- like all pyramid schemes -- ultimately falters. albert@spenarnc.xs4all.nl http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst