Where do i start?

Started by Xarion July 26, 2005
Hi everyone

I have been desing hardware based on the C51 architecture in assembly code
I am wanting to migrate to ARM and and wanting to start writing in C rather
than assembler. can anyone give me any site that could help me out with
this, like writing to registers, changing modes, dealing with interrupts
etc.

Thanx!
Xarion

Xarion wrote:
> Hi everyone > > I have been desing hardware based on the C51 architecture in assembly code > I am wanting to migrate to ARM and and wanting to start writing in C rather > than assembler. can anyone give me any site that could help me out with > this, like writing to registers, changing modes, dealing with interrupts > etc.
sdcc is a C compiler for c51 and it's free the datasheet of the microcontroller is the first place where I look for basic things , application notes are the second and third there is google :-) you can easily find code in asm or C for many tasks. always check for compatibility between derivatives of the chip ( different chip different registers and peripherals )
> > Thanx! > Xarion > >
oh , a simple sbc withe micro and ram is useful.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:59:44 +0200, Xarion <xarion@fuderables.co.za> wrote:

> I have been desing hardware based on the C51 architecture in assembly > code > I am wanting to migrate to ARM and and wanting to start writing in C > rather > than assembler. can anyone give me any site that could help me out with > this, like writing to registers, changing modes, dealing with interrupts > etc.
http://www.arm.com/documentation/ Vadim
Think i might have mis-communicated my point:)

I am wanting to develop new hardware with ARM micros and am looking for some
sort of introduction into c programming for ARM architectures.  I have been
through ARM's website and haven't found anything that could help me starting
with ARM its more for people already working with ARM.

Xarion

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:59:02 +0200, Xarion <xarion@fuderables.co.za> wrote:

> Think i might have mis-communicated my point:) > > I am wanting to develop new hardware with ARM micros and am looking for > some > sort of introduction into c programming for ARM architectures. I have > been > through ARM's website and haven't found anything that could help me > starting > with ARM its more for people already working with ARM.
So, have you seen the App Note 34 "Writing Efficient C for ARM" in <http://www.arm.com/documentation/Application_Notes/index.html> ? Vadim
Ahh didnt see that one :-)
Thanx

"Vadim Borshchev" <vadim.borshchev@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:59:02 +0200, Xarion <xarion@fuderables.co.za> > wrote: > >> Think i might have mis-communicated my point:) >> >> I am wanting to develop new hardware with ARM micros and am looking for >> some >> sort of introduction into c programming for ARM architectures. I have >> been >> through ARM's website and haven't found anything that could help me >> starting >> with ARM its more for people already working with ARM. > > So, have you seen the App Note 34 "Writing Efficient C for ARM" in > <http://www.arm.com/documentation/Application_Notes/index.html> ? > > Vadim
Try looking at some of the C source code examples associated with an ARM
evaluation kit (for example, Atmel's AT91EB40A...

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?family_id=605&family_name=AT91+ARM+Thumb&tool_id=2717

While they are specific to a particular implementation (product) they do
provide real examples of low level software written in C (i.e. accessing
registers in devices, interrupts, etc.). There are probably better links...
but this is one I knew of.

TC

"Xarion" <xarion@fuderables.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi everyone > > I have been desing hardware based on the C51 architecture in assembly code > I am wanting to migrate to ARM and and wanting to start writing in C > rather than assembler. can anyone give me any site that could help me out > with this, like writing to registers, changing modes, dealing with > interrupts etc. > > Thanx! > Xarion >

The 2024 Embedded Online Conference