Thanks Rolf.

Standard IDE disk works fine.
3.3V and 5V settings on the adapter make no difference.
The CF-IDE converter plugs straight into the IDE slot (no cable).
Using the latest BIOS.
The adapter runs in master mode.

Not looking good :-(

Paul.

On 2005-08-18 20:01, Paul Marciano wrote:
> Thanks Rolf. > > Standard IDE disk works fine. > 3.3V and 5V settings on the adapter make no difference. > The CF-IDE converter plugs straight into the IDE slot (no cable). > Using the latest BIOS. > The adapter runs in master mode. > > Not looking good :-( > > Paul. >
Hmm...could you try using a cable? Bus timing may be different without. Otherwise, I'd think it's time to call Intel support, possibly try an adapter they recommend. /Rolf
"Paul Marciano" <pm940@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have an compact flash attached to an IDE<->CF adapter that boots fine > in one motherboard but isn't recgonized as a hard drive in another. > > Does anyone here have any experience with Compact Flash in IDE mode and > suggestions/explanations?
Interesting. I've had some bad Compactflash in the past that didn't work in IDE mode due to the fact that they didn't allow master/slave selection (I am always the master! I care not for your attempt to influence me by changing the state of a pin!), but your problem sounds very different.
Just an update - I tried two other 945-based motherboards: an ASUS and
a Gigabyte.  They both worked fine.

So I'll guess it's the BIOS.

A shame.